Author Topic: WTB Four (4) original Weber 48IDA 40mm Venturis/Chokes  (Read 3329 times)

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
WTB Four (4) original Weber 48IDA 40mm Venturis/Chokes
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
Hi all,

This is a carryover from the old forum. I'm still looking for four original 40mm chokes with the raised "40" castings or forgings (see pic). I have four. Looking for a total of eight. I don't want the current reproduction billet pieces currently available everywhere.

Apparently their are new guys on here that are running Webers so I thought to re-post my request. I know. Zray, shelbydoug, Dan Case (previously rr64), csx2259 (previously shelrace), acman63, I've asked or commented. I'm still looking....anybody???

Thanks,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Four (4) original Weber 48IDA 40mm Venturis/Chokes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »
Not me. No gotz.

Only 37's & 42's with the cast in number. My 40's were cut from billet and have no numbers. Sorry.

Those 40's are not very common.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
I have a box full of them  not sure what sizes i have / and the location of said box might be a challenger to find at the moment ...Let me do some digging .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »
I have a box full of them  not sure what sizes i have / and the location of said box might be a challenger to find at the moment ...Let me do some digging .

Hiya Phil,
If you do find them it would be appreciated. PM me or post.

Thanks,
~E

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »

pile of weber parts

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for posting the photos. Unfortunately the Venturis don't seem to be for the 48IDA.

Thanks,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
I think that they are. There are just some very unusual sizes in the lot.

The smallest I've ever seen are 28mm. Phil may have some of those in that lot and many of them are cut out of billet.

When Hall Pantera was selling complete Weber kits Gary was recommending installing 32mm venturi's in the carbs to "make them work like you expected them to feel".  :o

I don't know about that. The 37's are pretty torque-ie but I never ran them on a box stock Q code Cleveland?

The bigger the throats, the higher the rpm torque range goes up.

The cast 40's are around. I thought I had a set but I was confusing that with my 42's.

I actually made a set of 40's on the lathe. They wound up being either 40.5 or 41's but finding the cast ones would be tough.

Try Gabriel David in Italy. If anyone has those, he would? Emphasize though that you want the Weber cast venturi's with the ID size cast into them.

What's good about dealing with him is first off, he doesn't rip you off like the US resellers do and second, you don't have to listen to him cursing you out because of the "strange" requests.

One thing I want to do is go to the nytrophil plastic floats. I've had so many Holley's have the brass floats collapse that I'm thinking it's only a matter of time with the Webers? Those he does not have.
One of the VW guys here in the US does but they just go on the wish list. Too many other priorities on the list above them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:17:53 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »
Just Plugging this request. I'm still looking for four (4) more.

Thanks,
~Earl J

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 10:16:49 PM »
Old request, but still looking.

Thank you,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 09:21:42 AM »
These are tough to find. I can't remember even seeing an original set with the 40 cast into them in the last 10 years?

I've just got 37's and 42's. When I still had my lathe I remember making a set out of aluminum billet which would be the current procedure.

I remember "borrowing" a set of 44's from Inglese around 1980 and those were machined out of billet as well, not cast.

I've only used them on my Clevelands. The 40's are a little strange. Still restrictive and maybe a little more responsive.

I do remember having a conversation with Gary Hall about this subject. He thought 32's were what should be used on the street. I can't agree or disagree since I never tried that combination.

I'm not sure if genuine Weber 40's actually ever existed? Maybe those are the Porsche 46IDA-3 chokes?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 07:57:51 PM »
Hello Doug,

Yes, they’ve been eluding me for quite some time this set of 4 original 40’s. I haven’t given up since the last time I bumped this request post. There have been several new folks here on the forum in the last couple years. So maybe
I too have a set of original 37’s and 42’s. I also have a set of billet (new) 40’s. My car loves this size. Very responsive!
We have a set of original 40’s in CSX2079 but I’d just like to complete the set of originals I have.
I’ve experimented with a set of 34’s, but it killed the top end or should I say struggled a bit.
Anyway, I have a set of the current modern billet version but would just like to complete the original pieces into a complete set of 8.

Cheers,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 08:33:23 PM »
Apparently they are VERY rare.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!