News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Interesting 65 Mustang for Sale

Started by Shelby_r_b, December 07, 2019, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Interesting description (no affiliation):

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2324621.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Wasn't there another ad someone posted recently that has a Carroll Shelby quote as well?

1965 FORD MUSTANG "SLEEPER SERIES" - Well worth the time to read - 1 of 6 ever built!

In 1964 when the new Ford Mustang was introduced to the public, Carroll Shelby and Ford Motor Company developed what was to be the "Sleeper Series". "A" body sedans were outfitted with the "Drag Pack" which consisted of the high performance 289, 4 speed transmission, limited slip differential and rally pack. Carroll Shelby ordered (6) "A" body Mustangs from Ford with the Paxton Super Charger.

The cars were delivered to Carroll Shelby with the Paxton Super Charger in the trunk. A.F. Escobar & Son's Ford Dealership in Norwalk, CA took delivery of the cars. The suspensions were customized to Shelby standards. These 6 Mustangs were auctioned off as a promotion to 6 lucky people. However, they had to be campaigned on the drag strip. The first test of the Mustang's drag ability, it ran a 13.87 ¼ mile with a speed of 103.09. Not bad for a street car. In 1967, the car broke a rod during a drag race. The car was taken back to Ford where a 302 block was acquired. The motor was built to Shelby Specs. ED Iskenderian of Iskenderian Cams personally ground the cam. The Paxton was updated, reinstalled and the car was returned to the owner.

When the original owner became ill, the car was stored in an environmentally controlled garage where it stayed for 10 years. I used Mustang Decoder website to start my research on the car. I then called Shelby American in Las Vegas, NV thinking they could help me with the information. I made an appointment with Carroll Shelby and I drove my car to Las Vegas. When I met with Carroll Shelby, he looked at my car like it was a standard 1965 Mustang until I told him the story. Then he got a big smile on his face, as only Carroll Shelby can, and hugged me. He said "son I have to tell you, your car does not exist".

It turns out that Ford was building the Mach 1 Mustang behind Shelby's back. Carroll Shelby brought a lawsuit against Ford. Ford destroyed the records of all Mustangs until 1967. The secretary at Ford gathered up all the remaining records and that is where the Marty report begins. The car has 43,000 original miles and is all original except for the 5 speed Tremec transmission and the Edelbrock heads (for unleaded gasoline). The car was stripped and repainted in the original black lacquer by world famous painted, Jr. Conroy. Excellent condition, fully documented investment grade car.

Nothing beats a classic!

Kent

I always thought there was a fire that destroyed all documents from the years before 67. And the rest of the story sounds also pretty much nailed together.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Coralsnake

If I recall correctly,  Elvis test drove all six cars.

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Coralsnake

Shelby documented every car built in the factory.

Is there any Shelby documentation? Why didn't Shelby just build the cars?

What was Shelbys connection?

Why didnt they use the "K" code engine?

What rear axle was used?

So the Ford assembly plant bought Paxton superchargers and put them in the trunk?

If these cars were auctioned off is there any documentation? An advertisement or auction listing?

If these cars were raced is there any documentation or articles documenting the cars?

Where are the other five cars? Evidence of them being built?

In 1967 the engine was replaced with a "302", what month was that? Any documentation?

Shelby in Las Vegas and online decoders are not reliable research tools.

How come the Shelby club which has been documenting Shelby cars for 50 plus years has no information on the project? They have information on over 15,000 other cars Shelby had connections with....or is the seller's research just better?

I dont believe Ford used laquer. They used enamel.

So, in summary this is a lo-po coupe with the wrong engine, wrong transmission and an incorrect paint job.

This also proves my previous statement...appraisals are practically worthless, because you can have them written for any amount you like.

This is embarrassing on so many levels

Certainly the seller can ask anything he likes for his car.

shelbydoug

Remember, from our Leader, "What you see and hear happening is not what is happening". Kind of fits with all of this "alternate facts reality" that others are living in doesn't it?

Help me. I'm caught up in the Matrix! "Don't call me Surly".

Is it something in the air we are all breathing? 

It's like breathing 110 fumes! It's not even a good high. It just gives me a migraine headache. Yikes! :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

^^^^^ Agreed the air is thick with fumes he has been breathing, but I think he went and found some old TESTERS model glue and been huffing that for awhile then posted his add. :-[

Greg

A very interesting story, unfortunately, if he re-read his facts I believe he would see it has issues.

1) Shelby ordered 6 cars and sold them as Fords?  That would have never happened.
2) Auctioned all 6 to be dragged raced as Ford's?  That would have never happened.
3) Ford was doing this behind Shelby's back, I thought he ordered them?
4) Shelby sued Ford over the MACH 1 series, I thought he was talking about the "sleeper series"....Mach 1 didn't come out till 69?

Carroll may have hugged him and said it didn't exist because it truly didn't exist.  Unfortunately, I believe he thought it was a "wink, wink" moment and he thought Carroll was telling him something super secret like the CIA. 

Regardless, it is a beautiful mustang.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

Maybe SLIPPIN SERIES might be appropriate, just needs to catch one person slippin to collect his bounty. NO A code coupe with a Paxton would get a pass for a written 150k value. :-[

BGlover67

We discussed this same car on the forum pre crash days.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Quote from: GT350Lad on December 07, 2019, 07:17:47 AM
Quote from: 2112 on December 07, 2019, 01:50:27 AM
Seller, Put down the bong.

College 101 "never drink the bong water"  ;D
.  Why? It's a great source of fiber...
.. :o

Shelby73

I think this is one where we can use the phrase (He's as full of sh_t as a Christmas turkey)
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

Chad

The guy should be a writer!  He is very creative!