News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Cougar Trans Am Tribute

Started by CSX 4133, December 07, 2019, 11:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX 4133

If I owned it I'd be tempted to bring it up to B/Prod. spec's and race it.    ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-mercury-cougar-13/

BGlover67

Are Cougars the bargain of the Mustang hobby or what? :)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CSX 4133

Undeservedly I think the Cougar has been viewed as the ugly stepchild of the Ford family.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

propayne

Owned by a friend of mine and fellow Delmarva Cougar Club member.

I did the decals for it  8)

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Quote from: BGlover67 on December 07, 2019, 03:18:20 PM
Are Cougars the bargain of the Mustang hobby or what? :)

Agreed.

Similar thing going on with Firebirds in relation to Camaros.

Side-Oilers

I always liked first-gen Cougars and Firebirds when I was a kid and they were new.  Still do.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

propayne

I've heard the Ring Brothers are building a Cougar. They are starting with a really clean 1967 XR-7 with a 390. Plans are for it to have a 5.0 Coyote engine, 10 speed trans and Detroit Speed suspension. That might help raise the Cougar's profile a little bit.

I try not to voice my opinion much on the various forums I participate in - which of course means I'm getting ready to do just that now  ;D

But the '67/'68 Mercury Cougar body style is near perfection to my eyes - and the XR-7 dash/interior is among the best of any pony car. The XR7-G console also gets my vote as best looking console of that era.

- Phillip

I will believe those moron Ring brothers used a Ford engine when I can see it.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: propayne on December 07, 2019, 05:36:41 PM
Owned by a friend of mine and fellow Delmarva Cougar Club member.

I did the decals for it  8)

- Phillip

Nice job on the decals!  The car really looks sharp.  I'm not a Cougar person, but this car is really sharp.

Then again, anything that looks like a race car turns my crank.
Nothing beats a classic!

pbf777

Quote from: CSX 4133 on December 07, 2019, 03:43:39 PM

Undeservedly I think the Cougar has been viewed as the ugly stepchild of the Ford family.

As I recall, the cloud that has dogged the Cougar from day one was, as Ford/Mercury suggested that the platform was a more "refined" version of the mustang, the public addressed it as, less "Manly" version of the Mustang, hence: a "woman's" car.  This was the impression that my cousin walked away with when he first wanted to buy a '67 Cougar    :-[ ,    but instead, bought a Mustang.    8)     

Scott.

propayne

I'm sure we've all heard the often told story of how Ford hired Shelby American to modify and race Mustangs partly because they (Ford) wanted to alter the general public's perception of their new sporty car as a "secretary's car".

It is also well documented that Ford did not want the Cougar to overshadow the Mustang and when they raced against each other their was much political infighting going on behind the scenes - even some rumors of sabotage.

Partially contributing to Dan Gurney's move to Chrysler.

When my father came home from Viet Nam in 1968 he had some spare change in his pocket and wanted to buy a new car, ostensibly as an anniversary gift for my mother.

We were a Ford/Mercury family dating several generations back, and dad wanted a Mustang.

A brand new white with red interior (and pinstripes) Mercury Cougar sitting on the lot caught mom's eye and the Cougar went home with us.

I was eight and the rest, as-they-say, is history.

- Phillip

Bigfoot

Neat piece. Tribute cars can be tough to sell sometimes.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

propayne

^^^ for sure -

Found this photo over at the Revs Digital Library recently and figured why not post it here.

There are several tributes to the NASCARized iterations of the Bud Moore Cougars being built now.

I know because they reach out to me for decals.

- Phillip

CSX4781

Phillip,
  I want to come up during the holidays and to talk to you about doing some decals and sign work for me,  also want to check out your XR-7G.  I'll be in touch. Thanks.

Dave