Author Topic: Any information on this 67 GT500 (serial number 932)  (Read 3087 times)

Ben_

• View Profile
Any information on this 67 GT500 (serial number 932)
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
Hi,

I’m considering purchasing this 1967 GT500 and wanted your thoughts/any information on the car and the price: http://www.johnston-motorsports.com/1967shelbygt500.html

serial number: 67402F4A00932

Based on my research, it was sold by Park Place Ltd and it is now being listed in CA. I may be wrong but I believe it is not painted in the original color of Whimbledon white with black interior. I asked if it was a matching number car and was told the transmission is but the engine has no stamp bc some 67s were not.

I appreciate any info/advice.

Ben

JWH

• View Profile
Re: Any information on this 67 GT500 (serial number 932)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Hi Ben,
*this car was originally white with a black interior.
*under normal circumstances, the 4 speed transmission will have the FORD (not Shelby) VIN stamped. Ask the seller to send you a picture to verify the VIN is there and that it is truly the original tranny.
*Ford made a habit of stamping the "K" code 289s with the VIN of the car. However, in 1967 the big block 428s were not stamped with a VIN. The best you can do is locate the date codes and part numbers from the block, heads, carbs etc and see if they line up with the date the car was assembled at Ford. Hopefully the dates on the engine parts are a few weeks earlier than the Ford assembly date for the car.
      These are some things that I would consider when shopping for a Shelby. 1) a color-change of the body is very expensive to put back to original. Door jambs, the trunk area etc, etc all need to be stripped and painted back to original. If you love the new color and plan to own the car for years and years, this is not a big hurdle. Just be aware when you go to sell later on, this likely will hurt the value and make it harder to sell 2) it is not that difficult or expensive to change the interior color relative to changing the color of the body. I know from your earlier post your heart is set on a car with a parchment/white interior. If you were to find a fabulous car for the right money but the interior is black, it would not be a massive undertaking to convert to white/parchment knowing you may want to convert back to black in the future at sale time. Ideally, i would stay patient, enjoy the hunt and see if you can find a car with a "U" in the Shelby VIN denoting a parchment interior.
     If you do get serious about #932, Jeff Speegle who frequents this site and is one of the SAAC judges would be a good person to contact to come look at the car with you as he is in NorCal. I looked at a car with him in SF and his knowledge and extra pair of eyes were super helpful.
Jeff

From the 2011 edition of the Shelby registry --

0932   GT500  Completed 4/6/67 and shipped 7/12/67 to Holiday Ford (Sunnyvale, CA). Purchased 10/10/67 by original owner Paul Webb (Santa Clara, CA). Warranty work performed 11/67 to fix the ratio dial light. Also previously owned by Verne Howell (Portland, OR), Bernard Mark (Oregon City, OR), Roy B. Schaefer (Port Orchard, WA), Dennis Karras (Olympia, WA) ?-'09. The color has been changed to dark blue with LeMans stripes. Interior has be changed from black to Parchment. Presently owned by Ray Jarris Jr (Seattle, WA) who purchased it from Karras in '09.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 02:19:51 PM by JWH »

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum. JWH has shared some excellent advice and info on the engine / trans stampings. The Park Place ad photos included the original VIN plate, a major plus to the purists. While the car was restored, I can see many non factory details in the engine compartment. The dead give away is the caution fan sticker and the white painted shocks. If you're serious about it, I also strongly suggest you have an expert to help review it in person. They know far more than most of us enthusiasts will ever learn.

FYI;
Only 257 of the 3225 '67 Shelby's had the parchment '5A' comfortweave interior. A few colors were not offered with the parchment trim.
More specific info can be found on the SRG (1967 Shelby Research Group) on Google in the "Observations - Paint and Trim' post. 
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/xMh2RMLAXdc
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
As with any '67 Shelby, first contact Dave Mathews the SAAC '67 Shelby registrar: dmathews@prodigy.net

This car appears, as stated above, to have a number of adjustments made that if you are wanting a car that is more like how it was originally made may not be the best choice.

Jeff Speegle would be a good person to have look at it if you are interested in the car.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
Based on my research, it was sold by Park Place Ltd and it is now being listed in CA. I may be wrong but I believe it is not painted in the original color of Whimbledon white with black interior. I asked if it was a matching number car and was told the transmission is but the engine has no stamp bc some 67s were not.

A bit late possibly for a comment but been gone for a few weeks. I find it very helpful to define what "matching numbers" mean to both the potential buyer and the seller when discussing the point since it means so many different things to different people just like the terms "restored"  "original"  "rebuilt" and "rust free" as well as others. As we have stated in many other threads about the general process of inspecting and purchasing these cars please be an informed buyer and don't be "that guy".

None of the comments above should be interpreted as a direct comment about this particular car, its condition or anything else.  In full disclosure I have looked at the car somewhat recently but have no knowledge if anything has been changed since that date.  Good luck to the seller and any potential buyer.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge