Author Topic: 43rd. IN SAAC, Spring Fling, 50th Anniversary celebration of the 1970 Shelby  (Read 10181 times)

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
 After the tragic loss IN SAAC went thru this past Sept. with the untimely passing of our long time president, Doug Scott, and his wife Ellen, we finally got together for our fall meeting.
 The first order of business was to elect a new president, Ray Koetter, and a new vice president Jason Smith.
Next we set about making plans for the 43rd Spring Fling, and the artwork was presented for next year's show which features the stunning Alan Mann GT40 lightweight AM1. This car is beyond belief, and you will have to come to Brown County in the spring to see this one. Along with the GT40, we will have a very special 1970 Shelby. This car has been hidden away since new, and has only 800 miles on the clock.
And to make a great show even better, IN SAAC will host the 50th anniversary celebration of the 1970 Shelby. So all you 70 Shelby owners out there, get those cars out of the garage and on the road to Indiana in May.
 Our guest speaker for the 43rd hasn't been finalized yet, but we are in talks with some really good candidates.

Along with all this, we laid out ground work for a new show! We are calling it the "IN SAAC Fall Classic". Oct. 9,10,11, 2020,Spring Mill St. Park, in Mitchell, IN.
 Limited to Ford autos made from 62-73. 
There will be a Sat. driving tour (led by our own Special Ed) to French Lick Indiana, where food and drinks can be found. Or you can even try your hand at the slot machines.  The roads in this part of Indiana are very hilly, with lots of twisting curves, plus the fall colors should be at peak.
Sunday we will have a popular vote car show. We will have lodging available, location and info will be announced later in the spring.

Very much looking forward to the upcoming 43rd Indiana SAAC Spring Fling.   

nate

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • Nate's Classic Cars
Cannot wait for these two shows, the Spring Fling never disappoints! After setting a record for the '69s last year it would be great to do it again with the 70s.

There will be a Sat. driving tour (led by our own Special Ed) to French Lick Indiana, where food and drinks can be found. Or you can even try your hand at the slot machines.  The roads in this part of Indiana are very hilly, with lots of twisting curves, plus the fall colors should be at peak.

FYI: When you hear "it's a shortcut" coming from Ed, you know you are in trouble.

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Date for 2020 Spring Fling is: May 15-17. Brown County State Park, Nashville, IN

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Just to add for those who have never attended, this is a must show to add to your things to do. Your wife's will love the town of Nashville while u have fun with the cars. The park sitting is just beautiful and the people u meet are friends immediately.

Special Ed

• View Profile
Lots of things to do and see in this huge park  thats known for all the woods and trees hiking, bicycle and horseback riding, camping and outdoor and indoor big swimming pools , wooded cabins and lodge, nearby Nashville full of small unique shops, etc. Donna and I went with brent and lisa to the board meeting sat. to help out and fill the void after the tragic loss of our president and vice president. It was a long 4 plus hour meeting with 15 or so attending and things went well with some new ideas and improvements and everybody stepped up to help. We are going to host the 50th 1970 Shelby meet after last years 1969 shelby 50th was a success (around 25 cars or so). I am working on a limited 1970 shelby collectors item for the 1970 shelbys that come to the show either trailered, driven or projects. I already know of 10 or so 1970s that I know will be there (heck there are 8 1970 Shelby gt500s in my county alone and mostly verts). The 1970 shelbys are the end of the line and these unique cars are the only cars allowed to be changed over from one year 1969 to the next 1970. The new safety law( locking ignition) came into effect on all 1970 models but ford got around this law by shipping leftover 69 shelbys at a.o. smith Shelby plant to Fords Kar Kraft plant and convert them over before jan. 1 1970 when the new safety laws came into effect. The 70 shelbys are the only cars built in 3 different plants Ford Dearborn,A.O.smith shelby,Kar Kraft. All tags, some decals,invoices.glovebox papers, window stickers had to be changed over to 1970 models along with added unique hood stripes, front spoiler,and distributor and carburetor changes to new 1970 emissions laws. So if u or anybody u know have a 1970 Shelby bring it to IN.SAAC meet to set a new record for most 1970 Shelbys since they were last at Fords Kar Kraft plant and get your unique limited EDition SpecialEd designed 50th anniverery 1970 Shelby collectors item to put on your car. There will only be 50 total made offered 2 ways 1 for the cars that make it to the show and it will be part of your pre- registration gift  and another type to be sold at show for the owners of cars that don't bring them to the show. Also u can go to the big indy mecum auction just a short drive north going on all week long and a indy swap meet all happening at the same time so lots to do.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:56:24 PM by Special Ed »

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
That ride to Nashville Indiana with Ed was really neat. I was shown some of Ed's top secret short cuts. Only trouble is , I can't remember them.

Special Ed

• View Profile
I just confirmed that the low mile 1970 Shelby will be coming to our show. I have seen this car 2 times over the years and first time I seen it had 435 miles on it but new owner has got it running and drove it a little but still under 500 miles. It is a drag pack 4 speed orange/white interior fastback just like my vert. The NJ ford dealer knew ford was no longer selling shelbys so he put car away in storage and it was never dealer prepped still has antenna laying in trunk not installed. The car stayed in same family and his 3 kids inherited it and (instead of splitting up the car 3 ways) sold it recently to the new owner who called me after he got it and I went out to NY to look it over and helped him get car back on the road so he can bring it to IN SAAC 1970 50th show so everyone can see this great car after being stored away all these years.

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I am so looking forward the this next Spring Fling.We will have the Alan Mann Lightweight GT40, and now a 70 Shelby that has only 500 original miles. Plus all those 70 Shelbys.
Boy o boy, can't hardly wait.

Special Ed

• View Profile
Just got confirmation from a 7000mi.  70 Shelby gt 500 coming for indiana saac 50th show so keep um coming for the new record.  We may have set a 70shelby record last spring having 5 70 shelbys .  Anybody know what the most number of 70 shelbys have been together since they left KK plant?

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hopefully, we will need more parking area for all those 70 Shelbys.
Along with all the 70's we will have other special surprises as well.
(I mean besides Special Ed)

Brent

Special Ed

• View Profile
Just got confirmation that Bob Wilson will be bringing a 70 shelby gt500 drag pack fresh concours restoration from MN. to IN SAAC 50th 70 Shelby show. That's over 10 70 shelbys coming for this historic record breaking event so keep um coming.

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Keep digging up those 70's Ed.

We might have to double your pay.

Brent

Special Ed

• View Profile
Double my pay!!  0 + 0 still = 0 

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I’ll buy u a beer

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Date for 2020 Spring Fling is: May 15-17. Brown County State Park, Nashville, IN
After getting newsletters from your region for decades I finally attended the fling last year. What a beautiful setting, show  and my wife loved the town. We will be back. I took a lot of heat from Ed for not bringing my 70 Shelby but will try and do it this year since a good friend of mine just bought a trailer. A few questions is that it is an open trailer so is there security at the lodge if the car is left there on a trailer or off? Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)