News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine height

Started by shelbydoug, December 08, 2019, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Does the 289-302 in the 67-8 GT350 sit higher then in the 65-66?

There seems to be a couple of inches of clearance between the Monte Carlo bar and the distributor cap on the early cars. I have a Monte Carlo bar on my 68 GT350 and it sits with zero clearance to the cap?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

The mounts both block and frame side are different in 67 Vs 68.
                                                        -Keith

Coralsnake

Considering a "monte carlo" bar was never stock, I'm pretty sure you can slide them forward or backward cant you?

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 15, 2019, 07:11:58 AM
Considering a "monte carlo" bar was never stock, I'm pretty sure you can slide de them forward or backward cant you?

Sure. You can take them off and smack someone up the side of the head too! Makes a really good educational device.  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 15, 2019, 08:01:19 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on December 15, 2019, 07:11:58 AM
Considering a "monte carlo" bar was never stock, I'm pretty sure you can slide de them forward or backward cant you?

Sure. You can take them off and smack someone up the side of the head too! Makes a really good educational device.  :o
.   Easy now...Look what that got Mark "Gator" Rogowski......

Bob Gaines

Some of the historical photos show the Titus 68 TA car with a bar that was welded forward on the mounts and the bar peaked forward (two pieces welded ) in the middle so as to provided clearance and still maintain side to side integrity unlike the obnoxious looking after market Monte Carlo bar with the huge rounded curve in the middle that allows it to flex and be useless.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 15, 2019, 02:04:23 PM
Some of the historical photos show the Titus 68 TA car with a bar that was welded forward on the mounts and the bar peaked forward (two pieces welded ) in the middle so as to provided clearance and still maintain side to side integrity unlike the obnoxious looking after market Monte Carlo bar with the huge rounded curve in the middle that allows it to flex and be useless.

For most of us it's really next to impossible to compare the intsalled height of the distributor from cars from year to year acurately.

With the Monte Carlo bar installed, mine does clear the cap but doesn't have the obvious clinched fist clearance of the '65s. You can't remove the cap with the bar installed.

I do know that "Shelby" lowered the engine in the Daytonna Coupes one inch. They use a special oil pan as a result.

I do know from past experience that each year of production originally had their own engine mount parts. I wouldn't be shocked to discover that the 68 small block engine mounts "adjusted" ground clearance concerns with the oil pan vs. other years.

There were little "oopsie's" engineering created over the years like the '67 GT500's balancer hitting the front anti-sway bar? Oops? How'd Engineering miss that one?

I was just asking something I always wondered about but no one who I asked knew.

You can see the clearance here in this picture. Not enough to take the cap off.

I obviously wouldn't hit someone up the side of the head with an ORIGINAL Monte Carlo bar. The only change it would create would be a bent bar. A repro bar, that is a different consideration.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!