Author Topic: Hand etched VIN plates  (Read 10605 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hand etched VIN plates
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 12:22:08 AM »
I need the paint code/formula for Burnt Amber...Do you have it or does anybody else on the forum?

See link, and image of the link page, might help...

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&paint=10425&ditzler=22749&syear=1967&smanuf=Ford&smake=Ford&smodel=Mustang&sname=Burnt Amber&name=1967_00079_01&scomm=&rows=50

Also, original color on a '67 Shelby under the upper scoop, the adjacent body color is a repaint in the wrong shade.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:25:25 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelby101

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »
Thank you JD!!!
Thanks! 
Kevin DiCeglie

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 12:00:04 AM »
Has a picture of 0051’s “supposed “ hand engraved Vin tag ever surfaced, showed up at all?

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 12:06:51 AM »
Has a picture of 0051’s “supposed “ hand engraved Vin tag ever surfaced, showed up at all?

I think you forgot to attach the picture. 😬
Nothing beats a classic!

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »
Based on some further research,
I believe the hand stamped Shelby VIN tags were attached on the base units upon arrival at LAX and not when the cars were completed.
These appear to be added up until about the 3rd week of October regardless of the VIN number/sequence and SA completion date.
(The date adjustment is based on current data gathered. More info [VIN photos] will help further refine the approximate date)

The photos of these hand engraved VIN plate show an 11 digit VIN with the hyphen before the sequence number.
This changes to a 13 digit VIN with #0090 according to an internal SAI memo

As previously mentioned, it is still possible several cars had the hand engraved tags replaced with stamped versions.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:45:32 AM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »
Anybody know why, If they were die stamping in '65 & '66, they went with hand engraving for the early '67's?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 07:55:16 PM »
Anybody know why, If they were die stamping in '65 & '66, they went with hand engraving for the early '67's?
My guess is that there was a problem with tooling (lost,stolen ,damaged?) and that they had to identify the cars somehow in the mean time so the hand etched was a simple fast solution  The hand etched plates sufficed until proper stamps were available. At least that is the most plausible explanation I can think of given the evidence. Who knows how many hand etched were done and then later replaced by SA. We know that the proper stamped replacement vin plates that were not used have come up for sale before which indicates what was supposed to happen. I think it was the #51 car that had its genuine metal stamped plate come up for sale on a ebay auction. The owner of the car had the hand etched plate which had never been replaced.  We only know of the ones that were missed (still hand etched) and didn't get replaced. It would be cool to have both. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 09:21:10 PM »
My guess is that there was a problem with tooling (lost,stolen ,damaged?) and that they had to identify the cars somehow in the mean time so the hand etched was a simple fast solution  The hand etched plates sufficed until proper stamps were available. At least that is the most plausible explanation I can think of given the evidence. Who knows how many hand etched were done and then later replaced by SA. We know that the proper stamped replacement vin plates that were not used have come up for sale before which indicates what was supposed to happen. I think it was the #51 car that had its genuine metal stamped plate come up for sale on an ebay auction.  The owner of the car had the hand etched plate which had never been replaced.  We only know of the ones that were missed (still hand etched) and didn't get replaced. It would be cool to have both. ;)

Yes, it was.  I secured it so it wouldn't get cloned by another NC resident from Burnsville.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
Visit the 1967 Shelby Research Group website, it is truly phenomenal
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelby101

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2020, 11:46:47 PM »
Does anyone know the original delivery destination of each of the hand etched vin cars?  My car #78 was delivered to the east coast and I believe #75 the same.
Thanks! 
Kevin DiCeglie

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2020, 09:34:41 AM »
Dave Mathews may know.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
The 2011 registry 1967 Shelby section does list where each car was shipped to and sold at.
The exception might be the company cars. They would have been sold later as used vehicles, but we do know a little bit about them as well.

We don’t know every car that initially received the hand etched VIN tags. Of the ones we do know of, the location does not appear to be relevant to the hand etched tag.

The first DSO group of 100 regular production cars (GT350s, with manual transmission, with Magstar rims, and AM radio equipped cars) were essentially completed and shipped to every FRANCHISED dealer to prepare for the introduction of the ‘67 Shelby model on November 10, 1966.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:02:59 PM by Richstang »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »
Can you describe the questions surrounding these hand etched plates?

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
Can you describe the questions surrounding these hand etched plates?

I would think the lingering questions about hand engraved VIN plates would be;

-How many cars actually received these plates?
-Why did SAI use the hand engraved VIN plate in the first place? (Broken stamp machine?)
-When did SAI stop using them and begin using the stamped versions?
-Which if any cars had the hand etched VIN plate replaced by a stamped version?
-Is there any SAI documentation that discusses the hand engraved VIN plate topic?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:47:19 AM by Richstang »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
Thanks Rich.

I font have any concrete information, but Im guessing its very simiar to the 68 dual serial number saga. There was a “revision of standard operating procedure ” and some were swapped out while another group remained as built.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:45:03 AM by Coralsnake »