Author Topic: Hand etched VIN plates  (Read 10609 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hand etched VIN plates
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
There was a “revision of standard operating procedure ”and some were swapped out while another group remained as built.

I too have thought that since the change from how the '65 and '66 cars VIN plates were stamped to the '67's were done (adding more digits that tell how the car was built/features) and seems there was some paper work (?) that implies they hadn't fully figured out what body styles and the larger engine [they weren't sure what to call the GT 500 was not the first/only considered name] were really going to be offered for the running year and options (like when they started adding an interior color code to the VIN's going from 12 digits to 13 digits within the first 100 cars) after they started stamping the VIN's had something to do with the few early cars completed in October of '66 having the hand-engraved VIN's - "...we need to get something on these and get them out the door we'll fix it later..." and later took longer than intended?

Don't mis-understand it's just a thought - not saying that's what happened.

Also I think these plates were engraved not etched:
Chemical Etching Vs Traditional Engraving. ... there is one major difference between the two: etching is a chemical process while engraving is a physical process. The former uses an acid solution (etching agent) to etch lines into a surface, often leaving behind intricate and detailed designs
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:29:03 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 03:51:12 PM »
There was a “revision of standard operating procedure ”and some were swapped out while another group remained as built.

I too have thought that since the change from how the '65 and '66 cars VIN plates were stamped to the '67's were done (adding more digits that tell how the car was built/features) and seems there was some paper work (?) that implies they hadn't fully figured out what body styles and the larger engine [they weren't sure what to call the GT 500 was not the first/only considered name] were really going to be offered for the running year and options (like when they started adding an interior color code to the VIN's going from 12 digits to 13 digits within the first 100 cars) after they started stamping the VIN's had something to do with the few early cars completed in October of '66 having the hand-engraved VIN's - "...we need to get something on these and get them out the door we'll fix it later..." and later took longer than intended?

Don't mis-understand it's just a thought - not saying that's what happened.

Also I think these plates were engraved not etched:
Chemical Etching Vs Traditional Engraving. ... there is one major difference between the two: etching is a chemical process while engraving is a physical process. The former uses an acid solution (etching agent) to etch lines into a surface, often leaving behind intricate and detailed designs
Yes I agree hand engraved is a better way to describe the tags. As to Coralsnake post
In this case the hand engraved vin plates had the exact same information in the same format as the metal stamped vin plates. It was also in the same order. See pictures.  As I mentioned previously in reply #36 that 67 Shelby #51's metal stamped vin tag surfaced on ebay even though the hand engraved vin tag has always been attached to the #51 car. The fact that a genuine metal stamped vin tag exists (yes you can tell) and not installed suggest that SA meant to change them out. Dave Mathews has told me of other loose metal stamped vin tags not matched up to the cars to the cars that they were intended for. This is why I suspect the simplest of explanations which would be that it was a case of a problem in stamping the plates for what ever reason that involved. Possibly the crude way the plates were engraved was a undesirable or unprofessional look and SA was trying to switch them out. Another possible reason may have to do with the way the DMV expected them to look which mandated a attempt to comply.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Henry G

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »
Kinda off topic but seeing 0078’s tag brings a lot of memories...I really miss that car...

Henry G//

Former owner of 0078 for almost 28 years...

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 09:32:55 PM »
A similar situation in 1968, the dual serial numbered plates were installed and shipped. Later it was determined a single number plate would be the standard. Many dual numbered plates were retrieved from dealers, but not all. Im sure there were some single numbered plates, that never made it to dealerships. Unlike 1967, I dont think they have ever turned up.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2020, 10:02:14 PM »
A similar situation in 1968, the dual serial numbered plates were installed and shipped. Later it was determined a single number plate would be the standard. Many dual numbered plates were retrieved from dealers, but not all. Im sure there were some single numbered plates, that never made it to dealerships. Unlike 1967, I dont think they have ever turned up.
The same thing only different.  ;D ;)  68 was a 2 lines format changed out for a single line format. In 67 the format was exactly the same . The information was exactly the same yet It was still changed out.The only difference was one was hand engraved and the other metal stamped. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 07:10:40 AM »
Exactly, thanks