Author Topic: Correct caulking cord at fender/apron ?  (Read 1751 times)

Rukiddin

• View Profile
Correct caulking cord at fender/apron ?
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
The caulking/sealer on top of fender apron that fender mounts is black or grey? One side of my car had black,other side grey....whay o what should I do?

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Correct caulking cord at fender/apron ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
Look for "rope caulk', it can be bought in gray or black.  Whatever you do, don't buy 3M strip caulking, it's horrible and the current butyl-based style is nothing like original.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:21:37 PM »
I sometimes mix the black and gray together to make a dark gray like I have found on many cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigblock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:06:58 PM »
Expanding on the topic; was the fender caulk a hit or miss thing? Over the years the Mustangs/Cougars I've had most did not have the caulk. Maybe an assembly plant thing? I mostly had Dearborn cars. Since some were from the early 70s I don't think the caulk was removed. A collector has some Shelbys from different restorers and not all have the caulk.

Inquiring minds..

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
Is there a proper color to use on the '65 GT350 fenders? Is black, grey or a mixture all correct?

Charles, Thx for the 3M strip caulking tip. I bought this stuff upon the recommendation of a counter guy at a local auto paint store - but that's probably the only option they had. So far, I've only used it during the install of my fuel tank. It seemed to work OK, but obviously I had nothing to compare it to. Searching for "rope caulk" as suggested has given me lots of new options. Is there anything in particular to look for or just stay away from butyl? Can you describe how this stuff is better than the 3M product? I noticed that the 3M sticks to everything - including my fingers - and is difficult to clean off.

Thx!
Jim
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
Jim: A '65 GT350 would have had mostly black, some may see it as dark gray rope caulk used in most places where called out.  Although, I have found gray caulk used in places like under the sill plates.

The old 3M product was correct, but over the years, they changed the formula to the butyl-based style, which was never used on these cars.  There are other correct options as you've found. 

Hope you never have to remove the gas tank, it will be a sticky mess!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
I agree with that!
While using the 3M caulk, I quickly learned to use tight-fitting disposable gloves.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
  DO NOT use laquer thinner to clean up the strip caulk mess.  I have used pre-wax cleaner without paint damage.