News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original fuel tank 65-68

Started by CarDude, December 12, 2019, 04:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarDude

Good day gentlemen,

I have not been on this site in several years. I came back to RE-read an old post on an original R fuel tank that's been in my garage for many years. This was a long discussion years ago. Sadly I just heard all old posts were long lost so I thought I would post it again and see if I could get info on the tank. I believe it was sold on eBay years back. I obtained it in some parts trades with a buddy of mine.

Can you help gents.
Car collector, American Patriot, US Marine, Dogs Best Friend, I'm the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

Formerly D-Man

CarDude

I believe that the conversation circled back to the tank coming out of this car on the last long discussion but now I can not recall. I did however have a notation in the Bible from 2011.
Car collector, American Patriot, US Marine, Dogs Best Friend, I'm the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

Formerly D-Man

Bob Gaines

Quote from: CarDude on December 12, 2019, 04:47:36 PM
Good day gentlemen,

I have not been on this site in several years. I came back to RE-read an old post on an original R fuel tank that's been in my garage for many years. This was a long discussion years ago. Sadly I just heard all old posts were long lost so I thought I would post it again and see if I could get info on the tank. I believe it was sold on eBay years back. I obtained it in some parts trades with a buddy of mine.

Can you help gents.
It looks like it has been modified some given the large rectangle base and fuel filler opening . At least compared to typical R tanks. Some of the later TA tanks had fuel towers which came up through the trunk lid which required a larger opening in the tank . I haven't seen one that needed that large of a opening.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CarDude

Bob it's hood to see you are still around here with your knowledge. Hope life has been kind to you

Formerly D-Man

madeulook

To me it looks to now be a bladder tank. The only guy I know who pulled this off and kept the original look is Howard Pardee. His tank is really a work of art. This tank looks not-too-much like an original R Model tank except for its use of the two Mustang bottoms. For a vintage styled track car, goforit.

John
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

gt350bp

Looks like a tank done for a new style fuel bladder with standard oval fill plate.

I did a fuel cell inside the R-model tanks back in 1996. Currently having a new bladder being fabricated by Fuel Safe to fit the R-model containers. Will post photos if anyone is interested. Already promised a few forum members some photos.

Don
gt350bp

CarDude

Formerly D-Man

CarDude

Formerly D-Man

CarDude

I am fairly sure this is not one made for a bladder due to the factory baffles and the required SCCA tank coating. This was required for years before bladder cells came out. IMHO

Formerly D-Man

SFM5S000

Hi CarDude,

I know this tank real well. Aside from the two halves common to the early R Model, Group I & Group II cars. This tank is also just before the "tower filler" to accommodate additional fuel. This tank also has a spacer panel between the two tank halves approximately 1 1/4 inches wide. Again a sneaky way of accommodating more fuel.
Another unique feature with the tank is the tar/fabric coating on the exterior. This was prior to the use and mandate of fuel cells with bladders.
The interior tank has all the original SAI built baffles. I recall having a posting conversation with Randy G aka gt350hr and Bob Gaines on the old forum V1.0 years ago before the crash.
Curt Vogt at Cobra Automotive had this tank at one time.
Good to hear from you D. You've been away from the forum almost 5 years now maybe more. Cheers Buddy.

~Earl J

CarDude

It's always great catching up with you old salts. It's probably been closer to 6 years now. I am glad you remember the conversation and the tank. It's a nice piece. Hopefully Bob and Randy will recall it from the way way back.

Stay classy San Diego!

Formerly D-Man

madeulook

Great read and thanks for sharing.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

CarDude

Any pros in here that can validate the splash bowl as original?

Formerly D-Man

CarDude

Thanks buddy. Very cool. Got the mail

Formerly D-Man

gt350hr

When I had an opportunity to buy that car in '75 the "filler area" did not look like that. It was a "standard issue" 34 gallon ( because of the spacer earl noted) tank. I passed on the car but bought the engine pieces. My friend Ray Hutson did buy the car and eventually sold it to Bruce. The tank must have been modified after I saw it.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.