News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

AC Compressor Rebuild?

Started by Milo, December 14, 2019, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Getting a scraping noise on my AC compressor when i spin the clutch and wondering if anyone does restorations of compressors? Otherwise, anyone have any guidance on the DIY process?

Thanks!

Milo
1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Milo on December 14, 2019, 11:53:39 AM
Getting a scraping noise on my AC compressor when i spin the clutch and wondering if anyone does restorations of compressors? Otherwise, anyone have any guidance on the DIY process?

Thanks!

Milo
Classic Auto Air does rebuilds.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Tampa, Florida - For Factory Original A/C Parts And Restoration Services.

5133 W. Idlewild Ave.
Tampa, FL 33634
Phone 813-251-2356

Thanks!

Milo
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Shelby_r_b

+1^

They also have new and original rebuilt items in stock.  For example, you can get an original rebuilt clutch from them.
Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

Besides Tampa they also have a site in TX

CLASSIC AUTO AIR :

910 Freeport Parkway, Suite 100
Coppell, Texas 75019
Phone – 877-302-8830

Thanks!

Milo
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

68blk500c

Milo:

IF you have an original C8ZX tagged compressor, do NOT send it anywhere for rebuild until you document the features of your castings, as well as bolt markings, plus compare with others that may appear similar at a glance, but aren't.  NEVER give it to any rebuilder without first carefully removing that C8ZX tag!!

We have communicated in the past; feel free to contact me.

Don   

Milo

Thanks for putting the fear of God in me!
1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

1967 eight barrel

I just rebuilt an aluminum York after complete polishing. Valve plate, all seals gaskets and bearings were about 100.00.
                                                                            -Keith

gt350bp

Good morning all!

Would a 68 KR have the aluminum York compressor? Part # C8AA 2875 A? In addition, what would be the correct A/C clutch and how many belt sheaves should it have?
Are there any identification marks on a A/C clutch?

My car now has the correct brackets and idler pulleys thanks to Bob G., and now I'm looking to check if my compressor and clutch is correct.

Thanks for the help.

Don
gt350bp   

Coralsnake

Yes a KR has the aluminum compressor. It is a C8ZX

The clutch is as shown:

gt350bp

Thanks Pete! Great picture that really helps.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

I would like to add that if it is a C8AA tagged compressor it would be painted black. I have only seen the C8ZX compressors on survivor 68 Shelby's. The C8AA was the typical service replacement.  I am only aware of the C8ZX compressors being painted aluminum color . Of the C8ZX tagged compressors most were painted aluminum color but I have seen a few that were not painted and were bare aluminum.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby