News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

tires to use

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, December 16, 2019, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I have a 69 GT500 and would like to get new tire for it.  What is recommended, and who do you suggest to purchase them from to be correct?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on December 16, 2019, 10:15:04 AM
I have a 69 GT500 and would like to get new tire for it.  What is recommended, and who do you suggest to purchase them from to be correct?
What are your expectations? Are you wanting a good tire to drive on with smooth ride and handling , a tires for occasional spirited driving or just something that looks like vintage original with no concern about how they ride?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

That's the million dollar question for me.  We DON'T drive our cars that much, and we like the ORIGINAL look. But when we do take the cars out, the trips can be extensive, and good handling and safety is important.  Since this is a new and complete restoration, I am guessing that the wife is going to go for ORIGINAL.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on December 16, 2019, 10:46:40 AM
That's the million dollar question for me.  We DON'T drive our cars that much, and we like the ORIGINAL look. But when we do take the cars out, the trips can be extensive, and good handling and safety is important.  Since this is a new and complete restoration, I am guessing that the wife is going to go for ORIGINAL.
E 70 15 blackwall were original on cars built at Ford up to aprox the end of March . After the end of March the tire would be F 60 15. with Goodyear in raised white letters (ones without the size in raised white letters). Kelsey Tire is the Co that has the tires made by Goodyear. You will hate the way the reissue tires drive and handle compared to ANY set of comparable size modern radials. If you want your cake and eat it too then get your choice of good radial in a comparable size and then get one of the tire letter kits made by companies like tiregrafix.com to make the modern tire look lettered like a vintage tire. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

If you want original looking go with Coker tire reproductions

If you want better handling and ride go with a set of Firestone , B F Goodrich radial tires 235/60/15
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

As Mr. Gaines said:  "You will hate the way the reissue tires drive and handle compared to ANY set of comparable size modern radials."

Radials will improve the ride/handling/performance of your car in every conceivable way, on wet roads and dry.

IMO: Keep your concours tires/wheels for the judged shows you enter, and use your radials for everything else. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on December 16, 2019, 03:13:39 PM

If you want better handling and ride go with a set of Firestone , B F Goodrich radial tires 235/60/15
As it pertains to a original looking tire ,A quick search at Coker confirms that they do not sell correct Goodyear reproduction/original factory tires for a 69 GT500. I don't believe they sell Goodyear replacement tires for any year Shelby.

Coralsnake

;) ...well played Mr Gaines, well played

FL SAAC

What we meant as we stated "original looking " tires is precisely that . Similar looking, possibly a back in the day replacement. But it would be definitely be frowned upon by some if you would use these.

Remember ultimately it's your car, do as you please.

Merry Christmas.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 16, 2019, 04:13:28 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on December 16, 2019, 03:13:39 PM

As it pertains to a original looking tire ,A quick search at Coker confirms that they do not sell correct Goodyear reproduction/original factory tires for a 69 GT500. I don't believe they sell Goodyear replacement tires for any year Shelby.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

cj750

Kelsey Tire has introduced a "Polyglas" radial that unfortunately doesn't look all that much like original issue Polyglas tires, but is still closer than any other halfway modern rubber out there. Right now, FR70x14 is the only size available, but the rep I spoke with at MCACN told me to expect 15" sizes by late spring or early summer 2020.

Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

67 GT350

That would be great! I would like a set for my 67. I got the E70-15's now and do not like them for driving.
RARE  Signature Delete

Shelby_r_b

+1!  Those look really cool, even if they aren't 100% in looks.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

This thread talks about a forum member that will take a tire of our choice and put the correct looking letters on the tires. http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=8568.msg71301;topicseen#msg71301 This gives you a multitude of possibilities.  I have done the process myself for my own tires and it isn't too difficult . If you want the easy button this guy will do it for you.

68stangcjfb

Has anyone here tried those FR 7014 polyglas tires? If so, do they handle and ride well as you would expect a radial to? My 68 Torino 4 door needs tires and I think they would look a lot nicer than the Cooper Cobra's I have now. But at $300 a pop, I wouldn't mind a little insight from someone who has tried them out.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

shelbymann1970

I use Cooper Cobras on my Shelby. Hey, at least it has Cobra on the tire.  :). I have driven my friend's Bosses with polyglas tires on them and for any distance I'd go with radials. Not many choices out there also without a wheel diameter change.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shelbymann1970/49339273212/in/album-72157712540880967/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)