Author Topic: vintage movie featuring SAI Cobras  (Read 10648 times)

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
vintage movie featuring SAI Cobras
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:52:15 PM »
Riverside, Ken Miles, Allen Grant, Shelby Falcon, the opening 10 minutes is lots of race footage of Cobras with "studio" footage cut in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H2t9Ed6f38

enjoy
jp
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: vintage movie featuring SAI Cobras
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:29:39 AM »
I remember someone attempting to interview Casavettes about what he knew about the Cobra and the reaction as I remember by him was something to the effect of, "Cobra, what's a Cobra? There were no snakes in the movie".

To be kind to many of the performers of any era, things like that were just stage props.

As a matter of fact I remember someone asking A.J.Foyt about the Mark IV that Ford gave him and he didn't want to talk about that, he wanted to talk about his record. It was as if he was saying, "the GT40? So what?"

Someone said the revenge was him selling the car for $30,000?

It's also documented that Lee Marvin had  a 68 KR convertible which he gave away to his gardener. He was never interviewed about that to my knowledge but I can't help but wonder how he even got the car to begin with? It certainly was never his "baby" unless you want to call it the "red headed foster child of the family"?

Garner was like that too about the cars.

I personally stay away from them all now. (Whoever that's left that is) Too many "bloody noses", and LOTS of them have/had full carry permits. Elvis shot his Pantera because it wouldn't start. What do you think he'd do to you?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:50:21 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »
Remember seeing that movie a few years back. There was a quick shot, I think it was a studio shot, of a LeMans striped Falcon sedan delivery. Pete Brocks?? On the IMDB website it lists a credit for Hall Brock as "race marshal". I recall him being an older gentleman. Not a bad movie. It might show up on Turner Classics if they have Ronald Reagan as the featured actor for a day or week or however long they do those tributes. Or Lee Marvin, or Angie Dickinson, or John Cassavetes. Brian

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:52:04 AM »
Killer 🤓

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:04:43 AM »
General Aldo in the pits -
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 06:50:47 AM »
Marylin Monroe had an early Thunderbird.
Probably A gift from someone. Maybe a previous husband or BF or movie related.

After she married Arthur Miller she gave it away locally here.

No idea what happened to it.
Granted a Thunderbird is not a Cobra.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that kinda what Phil Spector did with his Daytona Coupe?

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »
The Marvin car was in the Greenwich, CT, area originally. He lived there.

At that point in time he was a very in demand actor and the nature of the business meant that he wasn't home much vs. being on location shooting movies.

Let's face it. That kind of lifestyle contributes heavily to the lack of longevity in marriages. What chance does a car have?

As I recall, it didn't have much mileage on the odometer when he gave it away? Something like 8,000 miles or so and there were some comments after the fact that it was a mess and a completely ignored item just left on it's own in the driveway.

Greenwich is a funny place. It's full of lots of little neighborhoods with little bungalow houses in little private neighborhoods that you would never suspect were there. Sure there are 20 acre "estates" too, but that's not necessarily where these celebrities lived?

I don't think Lee was ever interviewed about the Shelby but the type of guy he was, that's probably just as well.

Ask him about having to sing and dance in his latest film is ok if you worked as a journalist with the "right" publication but asking about his car  is "poking" into their private lives.

I tend to think that his on screen persona was not a role that he had work at to get into? It pretty much was him. I'm not sure if he would just deck you with a quick left hook or exercise his second amendment rights. It probably depends on if there were cameras and witnesses around?  In any case, caution should have prevailed.  ;)

If you happened to be driving by and saw this scruffy, grumpy looking guy in his slippers and pj's, walking around in the driveway, grumbling about where they threw the morning newspaper this morning, best to ignore that and keep driving by? DON'T stop and ask for an autograph.  ;D

I think it was Carter Gette that said Marvin and Buster Crab were his customers?  In fact he may be the source of that info, that they are original owners, now that I think of it? I do remember Carter saying Crab would bring his car in for service regularly, whatever that means.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:10:32 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!