News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Checkered Flag: Hans Pedersen

Started by silverton_ford, December 17, 2019, 12:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Hannes "Hans" Pedersen – June 18, 1949 – November 24, 2019

With a heavy heart, unfortunately, I am here to report that Hans Pedersen from Federal Way, WA passed away a few weeks ago due to a brain cancer tumor that kept spreading.  The cancer was found in late August of this year and came on very sudden.  It was too far down inside his brain that they could not operate on it.  It is very sad and we are all going to miss him very much.  He was a great friend.  We talked through email every day for about 6 years.  We enjoyed visiting at his house talking about his GT350 and his racing days.  We enjoyed going to races together such as the Portland Historics, Pacific Raceway (Kent/SIR) Historics, Laguna Seca in 2015 for 50 years of GT350 and several swap meets around the northwest.

Hans lived a full life with race gas in his veins.  He was Shelby crazy.  A school teacher by day, but a race car driver at heart and on the weekends.  Hans lived and breathed everything Shelby and High Performance Ford related.  Hans also devoted his life to racing.  He raced his 1966 GT350 in the late 70's and 80's.  Along with a Mustang Coupe and a 1968 MGB that he built into race cars.  Hans spent a lot of time at Westwood, SIR, PIR and occasionally Laguna Seca.  He would travel up and down the west coast attending races as a participant and then later in the years as a corner worker or as a spectator.  SCCA, Trans-Am racing and Vintage racing was Hans' passion.

A Pedersen family friend who acted like an Uncle to Hans, exposed Hans to auto racing at a young age.  Hans remembers the July 20, 21 1963 SCCA race in Kent, WA as one of his first races he attended.  Hans told me stories of seeing Dave MacDonald, Ken Miles and Bob Holbert in the Cobras race around SIR in force(which is the 3 Championship Poster photo taken by Pete Biro)!!  He would attend many races with his "Uncle" during his pre-driving age.  This interest grew and Hans's desire for a GT350 grew as well.  Hans wrote to Shelby American Inc. in 1965 asking for more information and they sent him letters back with promotional items in response to his desire for a GT350.  By 1969 Hans was 20 years old.  He attended the Trans-Am SCCA race in Kent, WA and that is where it all changed.  Hans met Captain Stephen Smith who owned a beautiful Sapphire Blue 1966 GT350.  The car was perfect for Hans and he knew he wanted it.  Hans struck a conversation with Captain Smith and they agreed to a deal.  Captain Smith said he would sell the GT350 if Hans gave him enough money to go buy a new Dodge Polara with air conditioning.  Hans worked his tail off and made the deal happen.  Hans purchased SFM6S2339 by February 1970.  2339 was Hans's daily transportation for several years and then became his race car.  Hans drove it to the first SAAC convention and many races over the years.  The race Hans was most proud he was able to compete in with the GT350 was the Tacoma Grand Prix in 1986.  Always driving his cars to the track, racing for the day and then driving them home at the end of the day.  It is safe to say if there was a race happening in the Pacific Northwest from the late 70's through this past summer Hans was there either racing, working as a corner worker or spectating from the top of the grandstands. 

Hans became friends with many of the drivers and car owners at all the races he attended.  Along with the racing, Hans was very active in showing his cars.  Hans displayed the GT350 and MGB in concours events in the early 80's, The World of Wheels shows and hundreds of local cruise-ins.  Local people would see him regularly parked at Griot's Garage for Cars and Coffee as long as it wasn't raining. Hans also donated a large amount of his time volunteering at the Lemay Museum in Tacoma, WA.  Hans was very passionate about anything to do with Shelby American and you could easily tell by his conversations as well as his attire always wearing either a hat or t-shirt with Shelby on it.

We are going to miss Hans dearly.   Rest in peace friend.

If you knew Hans, please comment below with your stories and share any photos.  I think it would be fun to hear.  Hans was a member of SAAC for many years.

Side-Oilers

Sorry to hear of the loss of another Shelby lover.  I did not know Hans, but that is a very nice tribute.
Thanks for sharing.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

honker

Condolences to family and friends and the Shelby family, sounds a really great person. a well written remembrance.

Mike

Wedgeman

Have known Hans since 1971.....Great guy...Shelby fanatic his entire life...one of the original WASAAC Members......for those who have a Registry go to ..6S2339...interesting history about  Hans's car...RIP Buddy!!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

What a great tribute. Thanks for sharing
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

Condolences and rest in peace.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SFM66H

Brian,
That was a great tribute to a wonderful man who had a really nice looking Shelby.
Thanks for sharing with us,
Kieth
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

6s1640

I will miss Hans.  I thoroughly enjoyed drag racing Hans down the small airport strip in making of the movie trailer Carrera, now about eight years ago.  Hans is in the blue GT350 and I in the white.  We made about six passes with the camera crew at different positions on the track.  The airport was closed, but not all the small airplane owners checked.  During one run the camera crew started jumping up and down, waving at us to come back while Hans and I were at the far end of the field when a small plane was making its approach to land.  All was fine.

Here is the Youtube Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7lSZK2w3Y

Some behind the scenes footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODdNWi0-9c0

Rest in peace Hans.

Cory

pmustang

Simply wonderful tribute. You are a true friend and Hans sounds like a guy I would have loved to know.

Wedgeman

Thank You Brian...I  know Hans is smiling down right about now !!

Hov

Ah Hans, One of the first people I met when we formed WASAAC for the second time.  He had as much enthusiasm for Shelby American products than anyone have run across, I am sorry I never got you a copy of the Ford vs Ferrari movie before you left us, I tried. I'll always having the memories of meeting up with you in the paddock of Laguna Seca, Portland, SIR/Kent, Portland,  Westwood, California Speedway etc.  Too bad you never made it to Road America, but I bet you are seeing all those places now that you have some free time and you have the record for watching the Ford vs Ferrari movie more times than anyone else up there. He was a great supporter of the Sovren Vintage racing club and Children's Hospital as well. We will all miss you Hans, physically gone from here, but never forgotten. We will make sure you will go back to SIR in the summer, in more ways than one.  Godspeed Hans. Hov     

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Wedgeman

s2ms

Thank you Brian for the amazing , heartfelt tribute.

Hans was a real character and will be greatly missed. As has already been mentioned, Hans was so "into" Shelby American cars and history I'm not sure he ever thought of much else. When he started racing 6S2339 he became friends with Jim Baker, who was racing 6S1757 which was also painted blue at the time. The two cars looked almost identical and at least once Jim's brother tossed his helmet into 2339 thinking it was 1757.

Rest In Peace Hans....

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

6S1568

Just a wonderful tribute to Hans, thank you Brian for sharing this with the guys here on the Forum. Denny