News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

RIP, Bill Simpson, Racing Safety Pioneer

Started by NC TRACKRAT, December 17, 2019, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

Great story. Didn't know any of those fine details.
I wear the gear......

Thnx for sharing
RIP
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I met him a couple of times in the 1980s/90s while at his shop/store getting fitted for race suits and helmets.  He treated me ok, and had great products. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

csxsfm

I'll never forget my first encounter with Bill Simpson.  It was in the fall of 1967 and I was one of the students Bill was addressing at a SCCA drivers school ground session in San Francisco.  Bill was given a few minutes on the agenda to extol the virtues of his revolutionary new drivers suits when he suddenly set his arm on fire with flames shooting two feet high.  It was startling, seemed crazy, but was very impressive, especially when you consider the threat fire presented to race car drivers using only dipped cotton suits and before fuel cells.  Bill got our orders that night.

A few years later I was doing a research on successful entrepreneurs for a grad school research project and asked Bill for an interview.  He consented, was very gracious with his time, and clearly demonstrated the passion and exuberance that made him successful.

The guy was a "real piece of work," and importantly, he made a difference.

98SVT - was 06GT

Bill kept his boat at the marina by the Portifino Inn. He was always there for the Cannonball after party.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless