News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Date code glass for July build KR

Started by gt350bp, December 20, 2019, 03:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

I've owned 04412 for 38 years and started to check items to see if they are original to the car. Looking at the glass, it appears to be original, however the date codes and orientation of the stamp are of concern. What I have is as follows:

Rear glass: 8G (Can read from exterior)
Passenger window: 7G (Can read from interior)
Passenger vent: 7H (Can read from interior)
Windshield: 8G (Can read from interior)
Drivers window: 7L (Can read from interior)
Drivers vent: 7H (Can read from exterior)

Is it common for the stamps to be mixed exterior and interior read? Do the side window dates seem OK for a July 26th 1968 build? Car was schedule to be built on July 23rd, but was 3 days late. Would have expected 68 date glass?

Any comment or insight is appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp 

acman63

I would think even the 8G  dates might be a stretch for a July build.  do you have any date codes on other parts that late.  the 7 dated stuff Id say isnt original to the car
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Coralsnake

In my experience, its typical for dates to be anywhere in the previous year before the car was built.

The orientation varies from car to car depending on how the glass was formed. It was etched first and then depending on how the forming operator orientated the glass, it curved either way while bending it.

gt350bp

Thanks for the input.

Everything looks consistent with the glass as far as wear / scratches. I would have thought the 8G date on the rear glass would be OK as well as the windshield. The side glass dates were my concern.

From what I can tell, all sheet metal is original and all fiberglass looks to be original. Car originally shipped to Scottsdale, AZ and later sold to second owner in
Newark, DE. Does have some drag race history at DELMAR Dragway in 1976. (Have a few pictures, but looking for more.)

Any additional comments and input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

TLea

Typically front/rear glass is 1-2 months before build and side glass 2-3. Seeing as how yours built near end of July I would be OK with 8g. I've had a couple late July KRs and early 8g dates are common on block, rear end etc. Side glass dates not typical but like Pete said side glass can be all over the place. Were paper watershields still in place before glass came out?

gt350bp

Good morning!

Didn't think about checking the paper door shields! The door panels are original and I've been thinking of replacing them, as the chrome foil in some places is missing.
Not sure if any of the reproduction door panels are any good, as I've seen some that do not fit correctly. Does anyone repair / restore original door panels?

Thanks for the input.

Don
gt350bp

JCHansen

I've inspected car 1303 and 1305, both with December glass and 3rd week January builds. On 1303, the Carlite logo for the back glass was on the driver side lower corner, on 1305, it's on the opposite side. Can't recall their reading orientation.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JCHansen on December 31, 2019, 12:55:23 AM
I've inspected car 1303 and 1305, both with December glass and 3rd week January builds. On 1303, the Carlite logo for the back glass was on the driver side lower corner, on 1305, it's on the opposite side. Can't recall their reading orientation.
Etching done on the inside of the glass or outside is also something to consider.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby