Author Topic: help authenticate button top fuel pump  (Read 1889 times)

rraceme

• View Profile
help authenticate button top fuel pump
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
I need a little help with the carter button top FP I pulled off my car 6S2227. I'm not sure how to date it or identity as the correct model for my car. I really find it hard to believe it is the original Fuel Pump - it had to be replaced over the years? Though prior to me purchasing the car in Feb 2019  -  its been sitting since about 1982 ish. Main body displays 0-1719, then under housing one side has (hard to read) 4567S & other side 12F9A (maybe?) I hope it is the real deal but really do not think it will be. I searched the archives in this forum and didn't see any old postings for button tops. I appreciate your time- Fred
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:04:37 PM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: help authenticate button top fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
It is a button top replacement pump. It is not original to the car. 4201 is the flange number for the assemblyline fuel pump. The date code of course is irrelevant given it is not the assemblyline pump. It needs to have the CAR bur TER trademark to complete the very close appearance wrong flange number aside. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:17:21 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
thanks bob i appreciate it. I will keep looking for a correct unit. BTW other than Fred from California do you know anyone else which restores crimped fuel pumps? Thank you Fred (from Huntsville Al.)
SFM 6S2227

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:02:41 PM »
thanks bob i appreciate it. I will keep looking for a correct unit. BTW other than Fred from California do you know anyone else which restores crimped fuel pumps? Thank you Fred (from Huntsville Al.)
Fred Ballard is the only one I am aware of that restores the crimp together fuelpumps. Finding a 4201 is hard enough . Finding a 4201 with a appropriate date code for your car is even harder. Unrestored cores typically sell in the 1200.00 range .Restored fuelpumps in the 2000.00 + range. I believe Fred has a restored 4201 hipo fuelpump for sale on ebay right now . FYI as long as it has the button top,has a 5/16 inlet and the CAR bure TER trade mark then it looks the part and it is accepted in all SAAC + MCA concours classes . The no reproduction classes of Premiere (SAAC) or Throughbred (MCA) where only original parts like tires ,batteries ,filters etc. there would be a deduction for the service fuel pump.  If a genuine 4201 is what you are going after for a no compromise premiere car then fine . If not then I think your time would be better spent making sure everything else that is visible on your car is brought up to assemblyine look (genuine or repro) before fixating on finding the correct flange number and date code fuel pump IMO. But that is just me others may think differently. The genuine hipo pump will not work any better on a pleasure driven car. This is meant to be helpful information and suggestions . Of course it is your car so do what you think is best for you. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:08:27 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
Bob- That is solid advise and I will follow your suggestion. I will put a button top back on  the car as you suggested but not spend 1200 on a pump. I've seen Fred Ballard name over the years on many many online forums - not just Shelby & Other fords but Chevy\other manufacturers too. Easy to remember him since we both share the same first name. His work is incredible also expensive- which is ok because he might be the only one doing it.  I was just wondering if anyone else in the states did Crimped Fuel Pump restoration?   Hopefully will start disassembly my car this summer and have my car finished by Late Fall 2021. Right now I'm just sourcing OEM parts and having pieces restored and ready once reassembly starts.

Thank you again. Fred
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:19:15 AM by rraceme »
SFM 6S2227

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »
Fred does have a restored 4193-S pump for sale. This one is correct for a standard 289 but will work well as a clone for a Hipo 289 as they are identical externally except for the actual stamping number. It will be far less expensive than the correct 4201-S Hipo 289 pump and will function adequately in most applications. This is the correct button top pump with the 1719 CARbureTER Made in U.S.A. casting. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1967-MUSTANG-SHELBY-FAIRLANE-289-CARTER-BUTTON-TOP-FUEL-PUMP/372880745632?hash=item56d16ca4a0:g:9oMAAOSwGotWjc4E

I have been using one of these [yes, from Fred] on my girl for years now and works great [has one spring instead of 2 and no issues and 80 - 90 mph].  This is a $550 pump and looks swell.  REALLY hard to see the correct flange number and date code but does duplicate well the assembly line look. I agree with Mr. Gaines unless you plan on a serious concours class.  Looks GREAT and performs well.  As Mr. Gaines says "do what you think is best for you"!

Happy Holidays,

Steve
SFM 6S406