Author Topic: Rearend?  (Read 3240 times)

Fastback66

• View Profile
Rearend?
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
Did all 69/70 GT350’s come with a 9 inch as a standard rearend?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Rearend?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
Did all 69/70 GT350’s come with a 9 inch as a standard rearend?
Yes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
  For that matter ALL Shelbys came with a 9"
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:30:18 PM »
Were the 69/70 housings all tapered as well. I need to find a replacement, I have a lead on one but I want to ensure I familiar with what I'm looking at.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »
Related to this, what was the limited slip choices and what was standard and optional?

65 GT350 - standard No Spin Silent Type Detroit Locker, no option.
66 GT350 including partial spec cars (AKA carry over) - Standard open, optional Detroit Locker as  65
67 GT350 - Standard open, optional  (Equalock or Detroit Locker or both?)
67 GT500 - Standard open, optional  (Equalock or Detroit Locker or both?)
68 GT350 - Standard open, optional  (Equalock or Detroit Locker or both?)
68 GT500 - Standard open, optional  (Equalock or Detroit Locker or both?)
68 GT500KR - Standard open, optional  (Equalock or Detroit Locker or both?)
69 & 70 GT350 - Standard open, optional  (Traction Lock or Detroit Locker or both?)
69 & 70 GT500 - Standard open, optional  (Traction Lock or Detroit Locker or both?)

Can someone ID the correct optional limited slips and update the above outline?  I don't know when the Detroit Locker was dropped and the when the Equalock and/or Traction Lok came in and was the option.  The Traction Lok was new and available for 1969 and 70.  This is confirmed by looking at the MPC.  I believe the Eqaulock was dropped at the end of 1968.

Thanks

Cory

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
Earlier 65 GT350's had a Detroit Locker that was not silent.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:36:46 PM »
  Corey,
     For '67  I am not aware of any "Ford assembly line" installed limited slip offerings. A Marti report would have to convince me, Plus since Ford never made a 31 spline 9" Equalock , that leaves out the GT500s. It was my understanding that "if" a Detroit locker was ordered , it was put in the trunk for installation by the selling dealer but included on the sales invoice. An invoice from SAI could prove that too.
  For '68 , Traction lock became the limited slip that was used as all the axles were 31 spline .  Traction lock limited slips were not heavily promoted until the 68.5 Cobra Jets / GT500KRs were released but were available on all '68s. Detroit locker was not an option "to my knowledge". (I
ve never seen a Marti with one listed
  For '69 the list was the same as above , Traction lock when ordered , Detroit locker was ONLY available on SCJ cars with 4.30 axle ratio AFTER Oct '69 which would eliminate those '69s converted to '70s.
     If anyone has more concrete knowledge / evidence , PLEASE respond .  No "I read it in a book" or "part of the LeMans Leguerra package" LOL.
   Randy

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
Earlier 65 GT350's had a Detroit Locker that was not silent.

Hi Mygt350,

Silent is relative.  I agree, they were not silent.  That was how they were identified on the Detroit Locker No SPIN manuals that came with the cars.  In the manual it tells the new car owner that there will be some noises, clunking coming out of the rear axle and to not worry.  I will later tonight, I will post the the exact text.

Cory

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »
Hi MyGT350,

Below is an images from the 5S003 website with literature for a 1965 GT350.  On top is the No SPIN manual from Detroit Automotive Products Corporation, typical glove box literature in a 65 GT350 if you are lucky.  The manual covers both "Standard" and "Silent Type".   You will notice the manual is stamped "G.T. 350 SILENT TYPE".  The manual also goes on to tell the reader that "In the Silent Type NoSpin only an occasional click will be heard as the NoSpin clutch reengages."  The manual further explains the noise due to back lash in the NoSpin is more noticeable in trucks and cars equipped with standard transmissions than vehicles using automatic transmission.  This means all 65 GT350's will have a more noticeable noise.  Last the manual talks about alternating acceleration or deceleration during a turn you may hear an occasional snap-ping as the torque is alternated from driving torque on the inside wheel to braking torque on the outside wheel.  This is clarified both types will experience these noises.

In the 66 GT350 owners manual (I don't have a 65 to confirm the same information) under the "Rear Axle" section, the manual warns the new car owner "The action of the lock and unlock of the NoSpin produces an audible sound, as it reacts to demands of the different speeds of the rear wheels.  Do not be alarmed by this noise."

So I am pretty certain all 65 GT350's and the 66 GT350's with optional NoSpin have the "Silent Type" that is not so silent.  I hope this helps.

Cory

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:57:30 AM »
  Cory,
     For '67  I am not aware of any "Ford assembly line" installed limited slip offerings. A Marti report would have to convince me, Plus since Ford never made a 31 spline 9" Equalock , that leaves out the GT500s. It was my understanding that "if" a Detroit locker was ordered , it was put in the trunk for installation by the selling dealer but included on the sales invoice. An invoice from SAI could prove that too.
  For '68 , Traction lock became the limited slip that was used as all the axles were 31 spline .  Traction lock limited slips were not heavily promoted until the 68.5 Cobra Jets / GT500KRs were released but were available on all '68s. Detroit locker was not an option "to my knowledge". (I
  For '69 the list was the same as above , Traction lock when ordered , Detroit locker was ONLY available on SCJ cars with 4.30 axle ratio AFTER Oct '69 which would eliminate those '69s converted to '70s.
     If anyone has more concrete knowledge / evidence , PLEASE respond .  No "I read it in a book" or "part of the LeMans Leguerra package" LOL.
   Randy

Hi Randy,  I found the documentation in the Registry.  Sometimes I forget to look.  A buddy actually sent me the image below.  It looks like the Detroit Automotive NoSPIN was the SAI option from 66 up to the 68, but the 68 GT500KR had no option and got the Equalock,  Then 69-70's option was the Tranction Lok, AC cars no option.

I wonder on the 66-68 SAI product (minus KR) why the Equalock was not offered?  It was certainly available and could have easily  been built up with the San Jose build.

The same buddy has the order form for his 67 GT350 and NoSPIN written as one of the options and then was crossed off and marked N/A.  I find this puzzling.  Was there a shortage of NoSPINs?  Why wasn't the Equalock offered in it place?

Thanks

Cory
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:05:56 AM by 6s1640 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:20:36 AM »
  Cory,
   Randy

Hi Randy,  I found the documentation in the Registry.  Sometimes I forget to look.  A buddy actually sent me the image below.  It looks like the Detroit Automotive NoSPIN was the SAI option from 66 up to the 68, but the 68 GT500KR had no option and got the Equalock,  Then 69-70's option was the Tranction Lok, AC cars no option.

I wonder on the 66-68 SAI product (minus KR) why the Equalock was not offered?  It was certainly available and could have easily  been built up with the San Jose build.

The same buddy has the order form for his 67 GT350 and NoSPIN written as one of the options and then was crossed off and marked N/A.  I find this puzzling.  Was there a shortage of NoSPINs?  Why wasn't the Equalock offered in it place?

Thanks

Cory
There is a 66 dated Ford /Shelby memo stating that if Detroit locker was wanted it was not going to be a factory option but a dealer installed option. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
Did 69-70 GT350’s come with a nodular center section and 31 spline axles?

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
  Cory,
   Randy

Thanks

Cory
       Ford never make a 31 spline 9" traction lock. That's the problem.  IF the registry information comes from "period" paperwork , it is possible that the paperwork was so early that it did not reflect the name change to Traction lock.  A check with an early Master Parts Catalog shows no availability of 31 spline internals for an Equal lock in 9". *-3/8ths only and they do not fit in a 9".
     Randy