Author Topic: Head to head track comparison: Ford GT500 vs Corvette C8  (Read 8298 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Head to head track comparison: Ford GT500 vs Corvette C8
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
Merry Christmas Gary,

Yes sir you are correct and what we are about to express will infuriate a few.

Haters will be haters, but you just cant keep this baby down;

2.9 0 to 60mph
1/4 mile 11.3 naturally aspirated 
1/4 mile trap speed of 121 mph
193 mph top speed
Starting at $59,995

Only thing that can possibly get close to it are the over priced Egg-zotics, the over priced new GT500 ( forget about the 350/350R not worthy) with a chassis that is 5 years old (going into obsolete mode soon), the Ford V6 GT supercar at $500k

How about buying a 2005/6 Ford GT why would anyone purchase a vehicle that's 14 years old with no warranty for upwards of $300k when you could have something just as flashy and fast for 1/5 the price? 

Answers will be are, because I can , because its  Ford GT, because it's a collectable, because its superior, because, because, because....wake up and smell the coffee that puppy is done and probably all the rubber on them is deteriorating even with 10 miles on it. 

Admit it we have a winner here !

Dont be blinded by your envy or hatred of  Americas only true sports car and may I say very affordable sports car.

The future is bright, cant wait until they unleash the ZR1 or as we like to call it Godzilla.

The new world order is here....God bless the USA  !

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of SAAC or FL SAAC.  But I must add....the truth does sting, lmao !

Regardless of whether you are a very jaded "bleed Ford blue" person or one that likes all performance cars you got to give GM Kudos for bringing out a mid engine sports car starting at 60K. Hell Ford couldn't even do that with the Ford GT 15 YEARS ago for double the price. Just saying.... Gary
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
At least the Ford GT has appreciated in value where any Vette in the modern era has declined drastically.  GM has thrown performance #s around before.  Let's see what's up once they're on the street.   Might be 60K this year.  Will be well over 70 next year. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Fantastic point you have there. Limited production to a selective few. The other continues to be massed produced and driven by the common man.

We prefer the current GM Chevrolet value proposition!

Let us leave you with Maestro Shelbys qoutes;

Meant to be driven and My favourite one is the next one.

In this case the next one is the C8

Question, what does the  C8 stand for ????

C for Carroll

8th letter = H

H for Hall

Stranger than fiction

At least the Ford GT has appreciated in value where any Vette in the modern era has declined drastically.  GM has thrown performance #s around before.  Let's see what's up once they're on the street.   Might be 60K this year.  Will be well over 70 next year.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:07:36 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 03:21:59 AM »
Tony, yes you are right. I go and buy both now  ;D , will never happen, I always would prefer my 67 GT500 and all the other old cars I have. And just for you my 67 Shelby Clone would kill both the GT500 and C8 on a 1/4 mile easily. Also my 68 Drag Fastback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=925&v=RfQ6Qtxpmcs&feature=emb_logo

It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we will call the ZR 1 zone
.... game over !

The Vantage with mid 4 second 0-60 and mid twelve 1/4 mile times would not compete with either the new 500 or the current Vette. When the ZR1  arrives it will throttle the new 500, the current C8 and take the paint off the Vantage as it cruises by it...

for the performance in corners, braking, downforce etc the C8 should be the deal and if they bring it up with more hp than now the GT500 will loose. I dont like both, I would take my V12 Vantage and eat them both, and also a well tuned Focus RS will get them for the half price what they cost. I would always prefer my 67 GT500 also on the track they can perform very good for their age.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:36:57 AM by Kent »
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 05:44:52 AM »
I do understand your sentiments of nostalgia, I have them also.

But for a moment imagine having a 9 second vehicle (you pick GM or Ford) today with all the creature comforts of power windows,  AC, cruise control etc that gets superior gas mileage,  has all the latest safety requirements, superior brakes, handle like the old cars never ever will, doesnt over heat, you dont smell like racing fuel as soon as you sit in them and can be driven by a 16 year old because they are docile unless you decide to slam the pedal.

Yes I to love my dinosaurs but you cant beat what Ford or GM is putting out today.

These are the good old days all over again. Let's enjoy this while we can, wont be long before it's all over again.

P. S. have you heard that the ZR1 may come with twin turbos at 900 H.P. and msrp at $150k ? What a rocket and canyon carver that's going to be....

Tony, yes you are right. I go and buy both now  ;D , will never happen, I always would prefer my 67 GT500 and all the other old cars I have. And just for you my 67 Shelby Clone would kill both the GT500 and C8 on a 1/4 mile easily. Also my 68 Drag Fastback.

It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we will call the ZR 1 zone
.... game over !

The Vantage with mid 4 second 0-60 and mid twelve 1/4 mile times would not compete with either the new 500 or the current Vette. When the ZR1  arrives it will throttle the new 500, the current C8 and take the paint off the Vantage as it cruises by it...

for the performance in corners, braking, downforce etc the C8 should be the deal and if they bring it up with more hp than now the GT500 will loose. I dont like both, I would take my V12 Vantage and eat them both, and also a well tuned Focus RS will get them for the half price what they cost. I would always prefer my 67 GT500 also on the track they can perform very good for their age.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:49:39 AM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 06:21:29 AM »
I do understand your sentiments of nostalgia, I have them also.

But for a moment imagine having a 9 second vehicle (you pick GM or Ford) today with all the creature comforts of power windows,  AC, cruise control etc that gets superior gas mileage,  has all the latest safety requirements, superior brakes, handle like the old cars never ever will, doesnt over heat, you dont smell like racing fuel as soon as you sit in them and can be driven by a 16 year old because they are docile unless you decide to slam the pedal.

Yes I to love my dinosaurs but you cant beat what Ford or GM is putting out today.

These are the good old days all over again. Let's enjoy this while we can, wont be long before it's all over again.

P. S. have you heard that the ZR1 may come with twin turbos at 900 H.P. and msrp at $150k ? What a rocket and canyon carver that's going to be....

.... game over !

I understand your points, Tony. And, I see this in a completely different light.

I’ve tried to own newer sports cars, but I just come away feeling bored. They are so easy to drive that it takes the fun out of driving for me. Personally, I love the smell of hydro carbons and fuel. I love the feel of some good body roll. And, if it weren’t for classics, I’d rarely drive with the windows down.

I don’t disagree with your sentiments. And, I wouldn’t take a new car over a classic. Plus, unless you’re on a track, how fast does a person want to go on public roads?

My 2 cents. 😉
Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »
First let us say : none of our cars have ever been at the track.

Now that we have set the record straight, I agree with you there is nothing like getting an artifact and willing it to turn a corner,  handle through turns. That is an adrenaline rush.

The new cars have many amenities but they also present a challenge. That is why you see so many new cars crash and burn due to driver error or over confidence.

The fine smell of octane escaping through the exhaust also is a a high for ME, it takes me back to then , to different places and experiences in time. Actually driving the artifacts brings me to 1969 , groovy baby !

Be safe out there

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:04:22 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
Many of us do put our old relics on the track. But, why settle exclusively for old vs. new?

I've had my '65 Fastback since '83 and all along have also had a more modern performance car. Last summer, I sold my C5 Corvette and acquired the '19 GT350. I still look forward to finishing the '65 and getting it back into Autocross and a few vintage-type track days, but I've discovered that the Shelby is a blast on the tracks. It's obviously a very different experience than the '65 at speed, but I like them both in different ways.

I would have looked harder at the GT500 or the C8, but I just like rowing my own gears.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »
Thats my "I kill all the new muscle cars Fastback" over 800 rwhp now on a very light old car, traction is amazing it do the the 0-62 in 3.6 now and the 62-124 in 7.4 and thats in real not magazine or youtube stuff, we measured with a performance box they use on 24 hour races and its certified for guiness world records. I invested over a year only to do the setup of the engine, tranny, everything in the engine bay that brings performance and the suspension. We did open the engine 3 times in 5 months and changed stuff, now this baby is really fast. Its maybe one of the best 67 Mustangs in the world performance wise.

p.s that was post 200 ;-) not a bad one
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:34:01 PM by Kent »
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
^^^AWESOME   8)

Please start a thread showing us the build.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 03:45:30 PM »
you have left us speechless with those times, 0-62 in 3.6

car looks great, wishing you much continued success!

Thats my "I kill all the new muscle cars Fastback" over 800 rwhp now on a very light old car, traction is amazing it do the the 0-62 in 3.6 now and the 62-124 in 7.4 and thats in real not magazine or youtube stuff, we measured with a performance box they use on 24 hour races and its certified for guiness world records. I invested over a year only to do the setup of the engine, tranny, everything in the engine bay that brings performance and the suspension. We did open the engine 3 times in 5 months and changed stuff, now this baby is really fast. Its maybe one of the best 67 Mustangs in the world performance wise.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 04:48:47 PM »

More pictures, please!!!
Nothing beats a classic!

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 10:39:24 PM »

Bad. Ass.
Dave - 6S1757

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 06:01:40 AM »
Here some more, I will do a driving and walk arround video in some weeks when the weather is better here. I´m happy you guys like the build, thats an honor.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 06:32:54 AM »
Kent you would not have a family member who's first name is Clark?

All kidding aside your car looks very good

Can you enlighten us on you drive train, components used and  what traction control devices used
Thanks

Here some more, I will do a driving and walk arround video in some weeks when the weather is better here. I´m happy you guys like the build, thats an honor.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy