News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 GT350 Front Rotor Replacement Part #

Started by marksshelby, December 25, 2019, 09:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marksshelby

Hey everyone,
New member here but been restoring Mustangs, Shelbys, Cougars, and Cyclones for decades, and have run into an issue with a '69 GT350H and the front rotors. The bearings in the rotors are larger than the 1969 and 1970 rotors listed by O'Reilleys data base.

I have a new set of Raybestos 6016R rotors that are designed for the 1970 GT350 per CJPony parts, and the bearings are too small (inner and outer). The 6006R rotors for 1969 are also too small. We went thru their entire data base using bearing sizes, rotor diameters, hub assembly height, min. thickness, and nothing.

The small diameter bearing race is pressed into a 1.965" outer bore, and the large inner bore is 2.575" dia. In addition, the top of the inner large bearing is pressed .500" down from the bore lip.

There are no casting, stamping numbers, nothing visible on the rotor assemblies to cross reference who built them.

Does anyone know of a currently available replacement rotor that comes as a rotor assembly?

Also, if an assembly is not possible, has anyone pressed the studs out of the assembly and replaced just the rotor and reinstalled the studs? I would like to find a rotor part number if anyone has done this.

Thanks,
Mark

Special Ed

Check the spindle casting id  c80a kkx doza to match up rotor and yes u can press apart the rotor from hub and any 2 piece factory rotor from 68-73 mustang cougar torino all use same rotor as its the center hub that's different as the hub has to match the spindle size bearings.

marksshelby

The casting # I found on the vertical section rising to the upper ball joint is "XKX 2413 SET1" and 2414 on the opposite side. The large spindle dia is 1.375" and the smaller dia for the outer is .850". I would post an image of one side if I could figure out how.

I appreciate the suggestion about finding any 2 piece factory rotor assembly and using the rotor, but all the searching i have done, the replacements are all one piece, and the small spindle diameters. I've tried Raybestos, Baer, most the other aftermarket and must be missing something where to search.

One post on the Mustang Concours site back in 2016 stated that only NPD and Tony D Branda built a batch of replacement rotors, and only 10 remained. They would not reproduce anymore because they sat on shelves too long.

shelbymann1970

Ed was involved in getting those rotors remade. I bought a set for 190 apiece many years ago as spares for my GT350 F-60-15 car.  Gary  http://www.cobranda.com/coso69shbo30.html
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: marksshelby on January 02, 2020, 10:53:15 AM
The casting # I found on the vertical section rising to the upper ball joint is "XKX 2413 SET1" and 2414 on the opposite side. The large spindle dia is 1.375" and the smaller dia for the outer is .850". I would post an image of one side if I could figure out how.

I appreciate the suggestion about finding any 2 piece factory rotor assembly and using the rotor, but all the searching i have done, the replacements are all one piece, and the small spindle diameters. I've tried Raybestos, Baer, most the other aftermarket and must be missing something where to search.

One post on the Mustang Concours site back in 2016 stated that only NPD and Tony D Branda built a batch of replacement rotors, and only 10 remained. They would not reproduce anymore because they sat on shelves too long.
NPD sells the separate rotor hat portion of the two piece rotor as of the new catalog.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 02, 2020, 11:45:31 AM
Quote from: marksshelby on January 02, 2020, 10:53:15 AM

NPD sells the separate rotor hat portion of the two piece rotor as of the new catalog.
Great to hear, Bob.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

427street

Hi guys. The front rotor and bearing size on the 69 GT350's and GT500's were affected by a mid year (Feb 69) change from the regular Mustang front spindle to the Boss 302 front spindle.

Ford/Goodyear changed the tire size from an E70-15 to an F60-15 and the wider tire put more stress on the spindle bearings so the Shelby's changed mid year to the larger Boss 302 spindles.

The change was serial number and date dependent for both the Hertz cars and the Shelbys.

Cheers
Greg

427street

What is the serial number and build date of the Hertz car you are working on?

From what you are saying I'm guessing you have the Boss 302 spindles and need the larger Boss 302 bearings/rotors.

Cheers
Greg

427street

The brake rotors appear to be available on the Tony Branda website.

Cheers
Greg