News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Auto trans.

Started by SFcarbuff, December 26, 2019, 10:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFcarbuff

Is the 67 GT350 auto trans the same as the 66's with the better servo?  Looking at an auto car to buy.  Thanks

gt350hr

The '67 C4  uses a "select shift" valve body so it's pattern is D,2,1 instead of dot ( 2nd and high) "green dot" ( all three gears) and L for low only. The code for the transmission is PEE-K and the valvebody is unique compared to other '67 automatics which also shared the "new" shift pattern. The valvebody is the only difference between earlier K code C4s.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFcarbuff

Randy thanks for the info!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFcarbuff on December 26, 2019, 10:30:48 PM
Is the 67 GT350 auto trans the same as the 66's with the better servo?  Looking at an auto car to buy.  Thanks
Also the shifter mechanism is unique and made different on a a 67 automatic Shelby as it allows you to shift different compared to a regular Mustang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Bob, in the "old forum" you posted a template for that.  Could you post it here on the new forum?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on December 27, 2019, 12:08:34 PM
  Bob, in the "old forum" you posted a template for that.  Could you post it here on the new forum?
Rod I don't remember ever posting a template of the different added detent but maybe I did. I will try to remember to take a picture of one on the shelf and post. I have ended up with two nice used 67 Shelby shifters and I never thought I would have even one. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Bob ,
     I thought it was you or Jeff that posted it. I was going to check my DSO sheets to see it they call out a "special" shifter assembly ( as in Ford doing the modification) or if SAI did it. I guess I forgot to do that as I still don't know the answer.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Here are three pictures I posted to that older thread and somewhere else :) that show the added indexed plate, the threaded hole in the arm and the shaft/insert that was placed in the threaded hole . Hope these help

There were a number of other examples that I thought I had grabbed but they are likely in one of the directories unlabeled - with a few hundred more I need to get to :(
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on December 27, 2019, 04:10:47 PM
.....................I was going to check my DSO sheets to see it they call out a "special" shifter assembly ( as in Ford doing the modification) or if SAI did it. I guess I forgot to do that as I still don't know the answer.

Pulled one set of sheets for 350's with autos and it showed (on paper ;) that the shifter and housing (C7WA-7C453-D) was "deleted" but no replacement was listed with the items to be installed. Sheets were from Jan. Same pattern as found on a later group of 350's with autos

On another (set of 500's) it shows the shifter and housing being installed and noted as - supplier by Shelby America. Sheets were from April/May. Another set from a later group shows a substitution of shifter and housings without the "supplied by" notation. Maybe by that time the comment was not longer needed. Who knows. plenty of spelling and little errors in the sheets as they seem to be a "living" document at the time

Just a quick look at the add/delete sheets from four different groups of cars

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67_1183

DSO 84-2566, the group that #1183 is part of shows the following:

ITEMS TO BE DELETED: C7WA-7C453-D  RPO  Housing & Lever Assy - Trans Control Selector

ITEMS TO BE INSTALLED: C7ZX-7C453-A       Housing & Lever Assy - Trans Control Selector

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

roddster

I've seen that little threaded gizmo in a McMaster-Carr hardware catalog.

OldGuy

I'm curious as to what the modifications/additions incorporated in the C7ZX version were supposed to accomplish (?).

Frank

SFcarbuff

Great Info   The car I am looking at is correct.  Thanks

rbarkley

Here are some pics that I posted on the old forum ...

roddster

rbarkley: Ok, but but's template was better in that you could make the detent pattern, exact.

J Speegle: can you guess the threads.  It looks either 5/16 X 25, or 1/4 X 20.  What say you?

Old guy: it puts a little tension on the moveable part of the shift handle so you don't over-move it (to up-shift) while accelerating away from some Corvette.