News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

headlight switch choice

Started by onelimegold, December 26, 2019, 10:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onelimegold

i know it has been talked before but i can t make my mind between installing a new motorcraft switch and a new aftermarket one ??   i read that the repro can handle much better the extra voltage . is the motorcraft better built than an NOS switch ?? so what do i go with ??  i have both in hands . thx .   

roddster

Its the "Cougar" headlight switch that was built for the four headlight system.

onelimegold

thanks roddster for your reply . what do you think about taking off vacuum ports from an original autolite cougar switch C8WB-11652-C ?? 

roddster

I'm not sure how all the vacuum stuff is mounted but if by doing so and the switch does not fall apart it might be worth the effort. (and possibly look more OEM )

Krelboyne

Even though all of the first generation Cougars had vacuum headlights, the 1967 Cougars did not use a vacuum headlight switch.
I don't have the exact stamped part number from a used switch handy. But it was rated higher for the quad headlights, as was mentioned above.

SMP or Standard Motor Parts is a primary supplier of new headlight switches. Years ago I inquired and was told that they are all built for the higher load of a quad headlight system, whether or not is was a 2 or 4 headlight vehicle.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC