News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Driver's side tail pipe in close proximity to gas tank

Started by NC TRACKRAT, December 27, 2019, 04:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC TRACKRAT

Always wondered about this:  The driver's side tailpipe is parallel and very close to the side of the gas tank, much more so than the passenger's side.  On a long drive and especially in Summertime, you would think that this could lead to a dangerous increase in gasoline temperature and the potential for cavitation/vapor lock.  Opinions from our learned members on the Forum?
5S071, 6S1467

gt350hr

In '75 , I drove 6S240 to Witchita KS from So Cal to the SOA convention held there. 3.89 gear and 75+ for hours on end. No problem at all with factory original dual exhaust.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CharlesTurner

This would most likely only become an issue during HPDE/road racing.  Under normal driving conditions, should not be an issue.  Original gas caps were vented also.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

It was only a issue for 69/70 GT 500's. In that case the transverse muffler being only about a 1/2 inch from the front of the gas tank significantly heated the gas. The fumes from the vented gas cap came out right above the center exhaust port on a 69/70. There were incidents where a backfire ignited the fumes causing a fire . Ford issued a TSB on the issue and a recommended additional venting of the fumes away from the center exhaust port. It was not a issue on the other year Shelby's or Mustangs .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

zray

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on December 27, 2019, 04:51:56 PM
Always wondered about this:  The driver's side tailpipe is parallel and very close to the side of the gas tank, much more so than the passenger's side.  On a long drive and especially in Summertime, you would think that this could lead to a dangerous increase in gasoline temperature and the potential for cavitation/vapor lock.  Opinions from our learned members on the Forum?

it's even closer when you put in a 2.5" MagnaFlow exhaust system.  As long as there is no contact, there are zero issues with the close proximity. My opinion based on over 200,000 miles driven during a 30+ year time frame,  all in  GT-350's and K codes, running the same 2.5" exhaust system.
note:  A skinny pinky wouldn't fit between my gas tank and the exhaust pipe.

Z

shelbydoug

The only issue that I have heard of on the drivers side tail pipe is that on some cars there were complaints of a rattle in that area. The dealers were told to make sure that the tie downs were removed. That apparently solved that issue?

Also the rear spring bracket is special for those cars to reduce the projection and give maximum clearances to the tail pipe.

On the 67 and 68 Shelbys, the tail pipe extension needs to have the muffler clamps angled so that they maximize clearances.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!