News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original Ford GT - Transporters

Started by Richstang, December 28, 2019, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

From what I have gathered, sometime in 1964 two transporters appear as the Ford GT team haulers. An advertisement, notes them as 'Strachans'.
Photos of these transporters are rare, but this one is a great image of both, at what appears to be a factory location (possibly where they were built?).
The first truck shows the license plate 'GML 128B', while there is no plate on the second truck.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

propayne

Wow - extremely cool and interesting Rich!

Were did the advertisement appear? Magazine or racing program?

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Richstang

Quote from: propayne on December 28, 2019, 10:21:47 AM
Wow - extremely cool and interesting Rich!

Were did the advertisement appear? Magazine or racing program?

- Phillip

I wish I knew. It was just a random internet find.

honker

Rich, another great thread ! thanks ! you might have found that piece on the GT40 haulers here ? 4th post, it looks like it might

have been sourced from Autolit.com, who have closed due to the passing in November 2019 of the owner.

I think that might have been in one of the magazines like Sports Car Graphic ?

It would be good to have a better image, to read the article.

Mike

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/gt40-transport.38783/

Richstang

Quote from: honker on December 28, 2019, 02:20:37 PM
Rich, another great thread ! thanks ! you might have found that piece on the GT40 haulers here ? 4th post, it looks like it might have been sourced from Autolit.com, who have closed due to the passing in November 2019 of the owner. I think that might have been in one of the magazines like Sports Car Graphic ?
It would be good to have a better image, to read the article.

Mike

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/gt40-transport.38783/

Nice thread on the 'GT40s' site. I had not seen that one before. It looks like they found the same photos. Maybe the same source?
Yes, find a larger copy of the Strachans ad to actually read the content would be nice.

Stephen D. added some helpful comments on the license plate;
-The number plate appears to read GML 128B, so that vehicle was registered in 1964. ( The 'B' is the year )
-The 'ML' part tells us it was issued in the Middlesex / London area.
-It is not a personal or private plate.
-It was bodied by Strachans of Hamble, England., as already shown by Mick.
-The chassis could be Thames, AEC, or almost anything ? 1964 just pre dates the Ford D series / R Series chassis, unless it was a pre production chassis ? The fact that there is no makers badging on the front may point to it being a non Ford chassis?

Richstang

Here's a peak at the rooftop at Le Mans in 1964. The white transporter is easy to spot in these B&W photos.
Those might be skylights in the roof panel. The polished hubcaps and side stripes help too.
(Like I said, photos of this Ford GT team transporter are hard to find, especially in the paddock areas.)

honker

Rich, that overhead shot at Le Mans is new to me, thanks   8)

Here's another in the paddock, also '64, I'm not sure this hasn't been here before, maybe in another thread.

Mike

Richstang

Excellent find Mike. Nice rear view color photo!
(New to me)  :)

It looks like the license plate on this transporter reads 'GML 129B'.
That would make sense as the other truck was 'GML 128B'

Is that a Bizzarrini parked next to the transporter?

JD

Quote from: 2112 on December 29, 2019, 09:59:59 PM
Is that a Bizzarrini parked next to the transporter?

That's what it looks like to me (too),
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

There's still a couple more photos from 1964 and 1965 to share.

This 1964 photo was taken at the Reims 12 hours event. 
Both Ford GT team transporters are visible along with what appears to be a Ford Transit camper in between them.
We can see the nose of the #6 Ford GT (GT/105) against the wall. That was the clue needed to ID the time/location

Also at the very top is the Shelby American Bartoletti Transporter with the cab facing inward towards the wall.
They were hauling the two Daytona Coupes csx2287 and csx2299. I don't believe there were any SA team Cobra's there.

honker

Rich, another great image, thanks !  looks like tea time.

are you wanting to keep this chronological ? If so I can remove my post from '66 and insert it later.

Mike

PS: photo added June 19th. 2021, so it's in sequence. Rich I believe this to be GT/103 at Monza, April 25th. 1965 with the

transporter behind

Richstang

This next photo is from 1965. One of the sources noted it to be at Silverstone on March 3rd 1965. (GT-108).
We see the transporter in the background with the rear door opened up. The plate appears to be 'GML 129B' from the second truck.

We don't know if the lettering in the side stripes is still written as 'FORD G. T.' or as later appears in 1966 as 'FORD ADVANCED VEHICLES LTD.'
I'd love to see a photo of the GT40s loaded inside or even unloading...if there are any out there.

Mike, if you want to move your 1966 photo / post to after this one that would be helpful to follow the chronological order. If not, no big deal.
I only have one more photo from 1967 and one photo from 1968 to share. There's not much out there to be found.

camp upshur

This is a great thread. Richstang and Honker you're really to be commended IMO.
Shades of the 'old' forum.
(Wish I had something to contribute!)