Author Topic: Album (digital) for Gary Campbell RIP  (Read 2310 times)

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Album (digital) for Gary Campbell RIP
« on: December 29, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
There is an album for our former Concours Judge Gary Campbell created on FB if people want to contribute to it.
You need to ask to join but I’ll put in a good word for everyone here with the administrator.  Just pm me if you have an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/304053430374387/?ref=share
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Wedgeman

• View Profile
Re: Album (digital) for Gary Campbell RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »
We miss Gary.. Hans Pederson..and Bud Mitze...3 longtime WASAAC members & over 40 yrs of Shelby ownership each.....WASAAC  has taken quite a hit in the last few years... :'(

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
one of my favorite pics...Gary racing papa scoops..while S2MS  is the starter... ;D

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
I dont intend to join FB, but have fond memories of judging with Gary.

I recall a trip to Virginia. Gary was a late arrival and he joined me and a friend, Rob, in the hotel.
Gary was the focus of Rob’s cutting wit for three days. He was relentless. I started to feel bad for Gary. At the end of the convention, Gary turned to me and said, “I’ve never had such a good time”.

He took everything so well.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:58:21 PM by Coralsnake »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »
Yeah Pete you called that right about gary he always took everything so well and got along with everybody. He was a great unique serious Shelby guy. I visited  him out in WA.  and he would come to my place many times when visiting his mom who lived 80 miles from here in Louisville KY.   RIP  Gary  you are missed by all!!

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Gary inspected a car for me and we stayed in touch after that and I often forwarded photos to him from the conventions of the 68 convertibles.
I ended up buying the car he inspected for me and he made great suggestions over the years.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
He was one of a kind for sure.  He always had the best of intentions. I look at the the foot race picture that I have saved like the one posted and it makes me smile every time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
one more of Gary

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »

I recall a trip to Virginia. Gary was a late arrival and he joined me and a friend, Rob, in the hotel.
Gary was the focus of Rob’s cutting wit for three days. He was relentless. I started to feel bad for Gary. At the end of the convention, Gary turned to me and said, “I’ve never had such a good time”.

I am not on face book or any other social media either.
I knew Gary for over 25 years and have many memories of Him. I am normally a nice guy but after knowing Gary for a few years I learned that I had to get mean with him, put him in his place and take charge or not much would get accomplished. It was hard at first to treat him that way ( or anybody for that matter ), but it worked and he didn't seam to mind it one bit. As Pete mentioned he probably even enjoyed the attention. I have shared numerous hotel rooms and rental cars with Gary at Shelby events over the years. One year Gary asked Me to meet him and another guy in Tulsa, OK for the Mid America Shelby show. I agreed and flew out to Tulsa were he picked me up at the airport. He was so proud of himself for getting an upgraded car from the rental company. Gary tells Me that he traded a Crown Vic for this mid sized Mitsubishi. I say to him why would you do that? There are three of us with luggage and we needed the bigger car. His answer " it has leather seats". My answer, why the hell would you want leather seats it's over 100 degrees out? But it has leather seats. We leave the airport and get about half way out to the track and he turns around and heads back to the hotel. Why? he forgot his coffee. After a few hours we finally get to the track and then once we are there he needs to go back to the car constantly for one thing or another. After awhile I tell Gary I need the car keys so I can get something from the car. That was the last time Gary ever saw those keys. I never gave them back. I drove the rest of the time and even took the car back to the rental center at the airport. Gary was definitely a unique person and very knowledgeable on 68 Shelby convertibles. He was a good guy and a friend. I miss him. RIP.
Rodney Harrold
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:19:15 PM by KR500 »
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 06:50:27 PM »

I am not on face book or any other social media either.
I knew Gary for over 25 years and have many memories of Him. I am normally a nice guy but after knowing Gary for a few years I learned that I had to get mean with him, put him in his place and take charge or not much would get accomplished. It was hard at first to treat him that way ( or anybody for that matter ), but it worked and he didn't seam to mind it one bit. As Pete mentioned he probably even enjoyed the attention. I have shared numerous hotel rooms and rental cars with Gary at Shelby events over the years. One year Gary asked Me to meet him and another guy in Tulsa, OK for the Mid America Shelby show. I agreed and flew out to Tulsa were he picked me up at the airport. He was so proud of himself for getting an upgraded car from the rental company. Gary tells Me that he traded a Crown Vic for this mid sized Mitsubishi. I say to him why would you do that? There are three of us with luggage and we needed the bigger car. His answer " it has leather seats". My answer, why the hell would you want leather seats it's over 100 degrees out? But it has leather seats. We leave the airport and get about half way out to the track and he turns around and heads back to the hotel. Why? he forgot his coffee. After a few hours we finally get to the track and then once we are there he needs to go back to the car constantly for one thing or another. After awhile I tell Gary I need the car keys so I can get something from the car. That was the last time Gary ever saw those keys. I never gave them back. I drove the rest of the time and even took the car back to the rental center at the airport. Gary was definitely a unique person and very knowledgeable on 68 Shelby convertibles. He was a good guy and a friend. I miss him. RIP.
Rodney Harrold
;D . Thank you for the smile you just gave me reading your post. I had different but similar interactions with Gary. I miss him too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 09:07:44 PM »
Yes.
That is a great story Rod.
And when I needed someone to go look at a sunlit Gold 68-350 a few years ago for a friend ,...Rod lived near it and did the forensics. Thnx for that too.

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »
One more...Happy New Year ..Gary ...