News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT500 Sand Cast Air Cleaner Lid - Original or Reproduction?

Started by nightmist67, December 30, 2019, 09:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightmist67

When I bought my 1967 GT500 about 20 years ago it had a die cast air cleaner base and sand cast lid.  I would like to determine if the sand cast lid is original or a reproduction.  There in no engineering number on the underside, and there is no obvious evidence of a "box" around the "COBRA" lettering.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: nightmist67 on December 30, 2019, 09:46:06 AM
When I bought my 1967 GT500 about 20 years ago it had a die cast air cleaner base and sand cast lid.  I would like to determine if the sand cast lid is original or a reproduction.  There in no engineering number on the underside, and there is no obvious evidence of a "box" around the "COBRA" lettering.
The design or shape of the letters on the sand cast lid are the best indicator that I have found.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

I always found it interesting that Ford required numbers on everything but the air cleaners seem to have gotten by the engineers.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

nightmist67

Bob Gaines -

Could you be more specific regarding the design or shape of the letters?  Could anyone provide images of an original sand cast "COBRA" air cleaner lid for reference?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: nightmist67 on December 30, 2019, 01:32:27 PM
Bob Gaines -

Could you be more specific regarding the design or shape of the letters?  Could anyone provide images of an original sand cast "COBRA" air cleaner lid for reference?
Like this.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nightmist67

Bob Gaines -

The  lettering on my lid matches your image.  When I enlarge your lid image, it looks like there is a very faint rectangular border around the lettering.  Is that true for all original sand cast lids?  When I run a finger along the perimeter of the lettering on my lid, it feels as if the metal is very slightly raised, but there is no distinct rectangular border.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: nightmist67 on December 30, 2019, 06:47:02 PM
Bob Gaines -

The  lettering on my lid matches your image.  When I enlarge your lid image, it looks like there is a very faint rectangular border around the lettering.  Is that true for all original sand cast lids?  When I run a finger along the perimeter of the lettering on my lid, it feels as if the metal is very slightly raised, but there is no distinct rectangular border.
I don't think there is a determinable line around the letters like the die cast version. The forward edge of the fins may help with a optical illusion of one. The letters have to be exact in shape like the picture. Some repros look very close but are slightly different. You are probably comparing accurately , I only emphasize the comparison because on many occasions I have had others think letters of a repro were the same but upon examination (think transposing one on top of the other ) they were different. For those reading it can be tricky given that all of the repros are typically sand cast.   

thefordshow

One of the big factors for me is the distance between the straight leg of the "R" and the letter "A".  The pocket for the wing nut is deeper than most reproductions out there. (pictures are vintage 1967 Ford Long Lead technical conference via Martyn Schorr). Chris

shelbydoug

Here are pics of the tops of my 68 and my 67 tops. Very little difference.
First one is the 68. Second the 67.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 31, 2019, 08:01:12 AM
Here are pics of the tops of my 68 and my 67 tops. Very little difference.
First one is the 68. Second the 67.
Doug, that is because the diecast (forced high pressure injection mold for others reading) lids are typically cast the same 67/68. The slight paint difference and maybe a extra a carb stud hole in the 68 versions is the difference. The sand cast version lid used on very early cars is what is being discussed here.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on December 31, 2019, 01:53:29 PM
So are straight leg R's OEM and Curved legged R's not?
It depends on which style lid you are referring to.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on December 31, 2019, 02:05:53 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 31, 2019, 02:01:05 PM
Quote from: 2112 on December 31, 2019, 01:53:29 PM
So are straight leg R's OEM and Curved legged R's not?
It depends on which style lid you are referring to.

'67 dual carb lid
As in sand cast which is being actively discussed and is the topic of this thread or diecast which is is the later version and not being discussed . Doug posted a picture of 2 67/68 diecast lids.   

Bob Gaines

The sand cast lid and base were used early. I have only seen diecast after about 600's time frame. There was no mixing of bases and lids. diecast top and bottom or diecast top and bottom.If there are questions about bases or diecast assembly's I would suggest starting a new thread to make it easier for others to search the subject in the future.