Author Topic: Explorinv retirement locations  (Read 9883 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: Explorinv retirement locations
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 01:10:27 AM »
Nothing beautiful about California but the weather. It's so great they're all moving to Texas. 
As for politics, the discussion was civil, factual and concise and commentary appropriate based on the discussion as hand. Much of it was about the ins and outs and the cost of living.
Politics and liberal lunacy will soon play a huge factor in the ownership and use of our beloved Shelbys this forum is here to promote and protect because of the usual  eco-alarmist and they will become no more than a dust-collecting two ton trinket of the past if we allow it. The very freedoms paid for in blood by many of us are being eroded daily by the left because civil discourse is silenced if it is contrary to the weak minded and easily offended.

Politics are already playing a factor in our hobby and the mere mention of an internal combustion engine will soon become a crime punished in some form or another. I have already had comments made about my Shelby as the reason/contributor to so-called global warming.
Even the mention of a firearm seems to wad some people's panties discounting the fact we are free because of them, and those of us who took them up against enemies. 
We are headed down the same road with our vehicles.
That wasn't political but a statement of the current infection that destroys logic and common sense and any ability for civil discussion.
P.S. I'll be in Ithaca, NY. Sunday through Wednesday if you'd like to have a face to face discussion, Ron. Monday is the only day I won't being they are interring my sister-in-law there.
                                                                             Yours Truly, Keith

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 01:35:12 AM »
Nothing beautiful about California but the weather. It's so great they're all moving to Texas. 
As for politics, the discussion was civil, factual and concise and commentary appropriate based on the discussion as hand. Much of it was about the ins and outs and the cost of living.
Politics and liberal lunacy will soon play a huge factor in the ownership and use of our beloved Shelbys this forum is here to promote and protect because of the usual  eco-alarmist and they will become no more than a dust-collecting two ton trinket of the past if we allow it. The very freedoms paid for in blood by many of us are being eroded daily by the left because civil discourse is silenced if it is contrary to the weak minded and easily offended.

Politics are already playing a factor in our hobby and the mere mention of an internal combustion engine will soon become a crime punished in some form or another. I have already had comments made about my Shelby as the reason/contributor to so-called global warming.
Even the mention of a firearm seems to wad some people's panties discounting the fact we are free because of them, and those of us who took them up against enemies. 
That wasn't political but a statement of the current infection that destroys logic and common sense and any ability for civil discussion.
P.S. I'll be in Ithaca, NY. Sunday through Wednesday if you'd like to have a face to face discussion, Ron. Monday is the only day I won't being they are interring my sister-in-law there.
                                                                             Yours Truly, Keith

Beg to differ,there are many,many beautiful things about California,if you have an open mind.History is one of those beautiful things.Think Shelby American Inc. would have happened anywhere else?? I don’t...Native born and I will die here(If I have anything to say about it)Oh yeah,no rust.....      so there’s that.. 8)                                       

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 01:46:20 AM »

Yours Truly, Keith

This APP shows, in real time, where air pollution is generated;

https://www.windy.Com/-CO-concentration-cosc?cosc,40.914,146.602,3

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 02:56:15 AM »
557:
I am a native as well.  California itself contributed little to the nation we know but was a benefactor of the expansion and money that came from the east.
I miss the weather and my time at the Chino Air Museum. I don't miss the 2.5 hour commute each way on the 91 freeway everyday.
I grew up in Los Angeles County. Not too far from Mc Donnell Douglas. I being five minutes from the beach and two hours from the mountains. It hasn't been the same place since the 90's.
My alma mater is UCLA. I am ashamed of what has been done.  The exodus speaks for itself. Sadly they didn't learn the lessons from where they are fleeing so they are following the same pattern. It makes no sense.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
You can trade places with me here in Asheville. I've been here all my life (57yrs), and this place has turned into a HELL TOWN!!! 

Asheville was originally on our list, then we took a drive downtown to eat at one of the many restaurants we had heard about. Once we found a place to park truck and trailer (bike shop was gracious enough to allow us space in their lot), we were accosted by the plentiful "alternative living" folks who have clearly invaded the town. Outskirts are beautiful, but we wanted a town we could walk around in day or night and feel safe. Where we are in SC, we are only an hour to Asheville, in the years we have been here, we have only gone back three times, always to visit with friends who are passing through that area.....

Bill

PS: $35 is what I just paid in annual 2020 taxes for the 69 Shelby here in SC, just saying  ;)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 08:36:38 AM »
+ 1

Very eloquently and well expressed.

This is still America,  we still have freedom of expressions and movement. All the gentleman asked was for a opinion as to where to reside. All everyone is doing is replying with their recommendations.

Our condolences to you and your family on your loss

That is all, carry on

Came back in to ask, do you want to stay in the states?

I hear sweden is a swell place to reside. We have contacts within that can help in relocation

Yours Truly, Keith

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:53:00 AM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
I think NC has become "non-competitive" in the market of retirement relocations.  TN has no sales tax.  GA gives significant property tax breaks to the retired (varies by County I think).  I am not familiar with SC so won't comment.

NC has state income tax, charges annual tax on personal property (cars, etc.) and does not offer any Homestead Exemption.  Beautiful place though - I live West of Asheville in the summer and it is a great place to be.  I am sure you could duplicate it in TN or GA though.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »

Yours Truly, Keith

WOW, I could not agree with you more! When the conversation is about a nice place to retire to, how can you not talk about politics (political climate) when the move can be the most important decision of your lives! I don't know one Shelby owner here who would buy a Shelby without opening the hood upon inspection. Maybe??? Are there a few who have done that??? WOW! And, some might like to live where property taxes run about an average of $10K in NY anyway. They might enjoy giving the locals all that money, after all, potholes are everywhere here. We get to enjoy our cars about 6 months out of the year.

As far as the 1/2 part of the "Dumb and Dumber" states (that would be California and New York), I am sure CA is a beautiful State, (some of my family has lived there for many years, moved out since), Upstate New York is also beautiful, the Finger Lakes are a wonderful place, (although you can see the decay), we have many wonderful places to go, and we have NYC with up until a few years ago was a fun place to go, I will not enter that zone anymore after my last visit. What I hate is the $20K plus property taxes a home owner will pay a year, yes a year! Unless you own a house that is $100K or less maybe you can get away with about $5-7K a year? My mother's house 5 years ago was $7900.00 for a house that we sold for 135K....That is what I will not miss!

This post has not politics, with the exception of the word and relative conversation.

I am going up to my garage now to pull out the motor out of my GT350 so I can put it up for sale and tell everyone it runs great! And, you don't need to open the hood to look at the motor, trust me! You don't need to open the hood on it, because you will not be allowed to ask about it....LOL

Anyway, good luck in finding your safe haven! You have 50 choices and I can think of 3 I would not touch...I hear Idaho is not as nice as it used to be either....(climate change has hit there also).
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »
557:
I am a native as well.  California itself contributed little to the nation we know but was a benefactor of the expansion and money that came from the east.
I miss the weather and my time at the Chino Air Museum. I don't miss the 2.5 hour commute each way on the 91 freeway everyday.
I grew up in Los Angeles County. Not too far from Mc Donnell Douglas. I being five minutes from the beach and two hours from the mountains. It hasn't been the same place since the 90's.
My alma mater is UCLA. I am ashamed of what has been done.  The exodus speaks for itself. Sadly they didn't learn the lessons from where they are fleeing so they are following the same pattern. It makes no sense.
https://www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/feb/14/does-california-give-more-it-gets-dc/  Property values and rent dictates there isn't an "exodus" like you speak of. My Son lives in West LA so I am very aware of the costs of property and rent. I guess the term supply and demand doesn't apply to California if everyone is leaving in droves.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:36:22 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 11:56:46 AM »
Politifact is garbage.  The property taxes are limited by Proposition 13 to 1% assessed value. That includes school taxes. Much of the populous that is exiting is skilled labor which is being replaced by illegal aliens. Business has been exiting in droves since the late 80's because of the unfriendly climate.  What I stated is fact compiled by US government statistics, not biased garbage.
As for West Hollywood. We won't discuss it's majority of inhabitants.

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »
I hear Idaho is not as nice as it used to be either....(climate change has hit there also).

That's right - Idaho sucks.

Keep moving along. Nothing to see here. 

;)
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »
LOL, Good one!
RARE  Signature Delete

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »
As far as California not contributing to the nation....fiction.....Economic powerhouse and all the benefits(taxes) distributed to everyone else’s benefit as well....entertainment.....music.....food....on and on....you are welcome.....

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:11 PM »
Sweden as an alternative. Lol!  Good one Tony from a few posts back.  I'm half Icelandic, though a Canadian originally.  Now I'm 'Merican.  I wouldn't move to any Scandinavian country.  I'm pretty content to be here in the U.S.  Far better than Canada from my point of view.  I wouldn't be who I am today had I not moved to the U.S.  I wouldn't be a lawyer.  I don't think I would have written a book or composed music had I not moved to the U.S.   I don't even think I would have owned my red Hertz either.  It was a smart move to come to the States for me. Despite the problems, this country still inspires me on many levels to get out and accomplish things.  Being here in the U.S. really motivates me.  This country gave me a great start.  The rest was and is up to me.  There will always be good areas and bad areas.  Hopefully the bad areas don't spread out too far and wide.  Just choose a good weapon with sufficient magazine capacity and all is fine.  LOL.  Even bad people aren't bullet proof.  Except for John Wicks of course (but technically he wasn't bad but rather bad ass).  I once saw him kill three men with a pencil!  I live in Chicagoland (though a good 30 miles away from the City).  As an addendum, Tennessee and NC impressed me (the areas I saw that is)  i.e. Tail of the Dragon and adjoining areas.

Best, Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Shelby73

• 828-308-8103
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »
All states have a way of getting their tax Tenn. does not have income tax but you will pay over 9% in sales tax on cars and I think everything else correct me if wrong. NC has 3% sales tax on cars with no cap. S.C. Has a 5% tax on cars with a 500 maximum. I also have a house in SC and their property taxes are cheaper if you are a full time resident,  if you have a vacation house your property tax is triple that of full time SC residents they call it a school tax.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:14:56 PM by Shelby73 »
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429