Author Topic: GT350 1966 engine + gearbox restauration  (Read 4869 times)

traxman

• SFM 6S779
    • View Profile
GT350 1966 engine + gearbox restauration
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »
Hi all  :)

I am not very new in this forum, but I think I was not there for a way too long and my previous account was probably deleted...

Anyway, couple of months ago, I plan to make a complete restauration of SFM 6S779, including bodywork (in order to put the original Ivy green metallic paint back) and the powertrain.

The disassembly of the engine and gearbox attested that they were in a pretty good state actually, but we still need to replace several parts.

I request your knowledge here to help me finding the best parts for this Shelby GT350

Gearbox:
The gearbox is the full aluminum Borg Warner T10M (prod date 1965/07/25). I need to change the different bearing (especially the front ones) + the gaskets.

Which one should I choose?

I have seen the Scott Drake rebuild kit (150$) : https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-manual-transmission-master-rebuild-kit-4-speed-borg-warner-t-10-289-1965/p/TRK9/

The USA Standard ZMBK166 (55$) : https://www.diffsonly.com/ZMBK166--USA-Standard-Manual-Transmission-T10-Bearing-Kit-1960-1967-4-SPD_p_16939.html
There is other references, like the BK177, what are the differences ?

Engine:
The engine is matching number and has never been opened before (ca. 71K miles). The pistons are still in standard cast.

I need the following parts:
-   Complete gaskets kit
-   Rod bearing shell (3100 AP Fm inscription)
-   Piston rings
-   Timing chain
-   Alternator  belt
-   Oil filters
-   Core plugs

I think it should be better finding original FoMoCo parts for that? Are they still available and are they robust enough?

Do you have an idea where can I find them? I was used to MustangUnlimited in the past, but their catalog seems to have been on a diet…

Thank you very much for your help

Cheers

Anthony

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:26:45 AM by traxman »

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: GT350 1966 engine + gearbox restauration
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
My recommendation in this new year for your restoration parts AND knowledgeable assistance is Virginia Classic Mustang.

Also, Shelby Parts and Restoration for assistance with your transmission not to mention all the other fine parts and services Jim Cowles offers.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
Anthony,

I would recommend that you change the pistons as well.  Some will disagree with me but do it anyway.  Think about it, what is the most value part of the engine, THE VIN stamped block and the last thing you want to happen is a piston crack/blow apart and put a hole in the block.  Cast pistons do develop micro cracks over time and the pistons are of better material quality now.

Greg 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »
My recommendation in this new year for your restoration parts AND knowledgeable assistance is Virginia Classic Mustang.

Also, Shelby Parts and Restoration for assistance with your transmission not to mention all the other fine parts and services Jim Cowles offers.

Cheers,

Steve
+1, Brant and his staff are excellent
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
Anthony,

I would recommend that you change the pistons as well.  Some will disagree with me but do it anyway.  Think about it, what is the most value part of the engine, THE VIN stamped block and the last thing you want to happen is a piston crack/blow apart and put a hole in the block.  Cast pistons do develop micro cracks over time and the pistons are of better material quality now.

Greg
+1 on Greg's suggestions.To add - a custom set of a slightly oversize piston if needed is the better alternative to the standard 30 over sizes . Our resident piston expert gt350hr can be of help if needed. You don't want to bore anymore then you have to. I hope it will stay standard.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
+1 on Greg's suggestions.To add - a custom set of a slightly oversize piston if needed is the better alternative to the standard 30 over sizes . Our resident piston expert gt350hr can be of help if needed. You don't want to bore anymore then you have to. I hope it will stay standard.

+2 :) One of the biggest IMHO mistakes is letting a shop punch a block out to 30 when it doesn't need it. Ford many shops its just automatic using the excuse that its cheaper that way.

Recommendations so far are great. The shops will need to know how you plan to use the car so have a long range goal and plan and they will fill in accordingly - and with recommendations to help out

Good luck
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »

+2 :) One of the biggest IMHO mistakes is letting a shop punch a block out to 30 when it doesn't need it. Ford many shops its just automatic using the excuse that its cheaper that way.

Recommendations so far are great. The shops will need to know how you plan to use the car so have a long range goal and plan and they will fill in accordingly - and with recommendations to help out

Good luck

the reason the shops always did 30 over was that most of the piston companies sold that size cheap .  in this day and age you can bore it to virtually any size and get Randy to make pistons that size.  you might have to file rings  but he can come close
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:54:33 PM by acman63 »
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

traxman

• SFM 6S779
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:52:07 PM »
Thank you very much for your help :)

I didn't know that the cast pistons may develop micro cracks over time, so yes it can be more reasonnable to change it (especially since the engine is disassembled)
The cylinders are in a very good shape, oversized pistons are not necessary :).

Which brand / model should I prefer to put in this engine ?

I have checked on Virginia Classic Mustang (+ Shelby Parts and Restoration), but it seems that they do not have the engine parts I need on their catalog.
May they be able to have theses parts upon request ?

Thank you again for your help  ;)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 06:20:37 PM »
Thank you very much for your help :)

I didn't know that the cast pistons may develop micro cracks over time, so yes it can be more reasonnable to change it (especially since the engine is disassembled)
The cylinders are in a very good shape, oversized pistons are not necessary :).

Which brand / model should I prefer to put in this engine ?

I have checked on Virginia Classic Mustang (+ Shelby Parts and Restoration), but it seems that they do not have the engine parts I need on their catalog.
May they be able to have theses parts upon request ?

Thank you again for your help  ;)

RaceTec is what I recommend, a great product at a fair price.  http://racetecpistons.com

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 08:07:25 PM »
Give Jim a call in the number on the website, very helpful guy  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:51:00 PM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
"Back in the day" Shelby's 289 Cobra and GT350 race engines used cast pistons and as we all know, they were very reliable under extreme conditions.  Replace the originals if their condition is bad or the fit in the bore is unacceptable, but if not, why tamper with the block to refit a forged slug? 

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »
   Original cast pistons are well known for cracking skirts over time. They start in the radiused area at the bottom of the skirt and migrate upward and inward until a large section breaks off and falls into the pan. As Greg and others mentioned , Racetec Pistons can make forged replacements in "any" size as long as there is a compatible ring available. We do a bore size change for FREE! For "normal" use we use a 4032 alloy high silicon forging for low expansion and quiet running that is FAR more durable than any cast piston. I am not here to "sell" pistons but can help members if they need something.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
Randy, you are spot on.  I was putting together an "original to the car", standard bore 427 and took it to the machine shop for a .10 over clean up.  I had every intention of reusing the pistons and the machine shop owner, who was well versed in FE's, took one look at the pistons and said did you know they are cracked?  I said no because I had looked them over, he proceeded to show me where to look and sure enough 6 of the 8 were cracked or starting to crack to some degree.  I was extremely grateful that he saw it. 

Use the best that is available for the application you are putting it in. 

Anthony, you should contact Randy and let him help you, he is awesome to work with and really cares about the cars and the people that love them.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
   Thanks for the kind words Greg. There are many here with the same "spirit" . SO many give very helpful information freely to help others and keep this THE best internet source for correct information. I am thankful for the many things I have learned from this group since I have been here. We ARE the best!
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 12:06:19 PM »
If left unchecked they become very evident, this is from a 100,000+ mile TX 289!
I seem to recall all 8 had some amount of cracks.
I highlighted the cracks with a marker pen.

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense