News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

engine paint

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, January 02, 2020, 11:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 GT350 Vert

Another option is to use Eastwood 2 stage hardened spray paint on the engine.  It is catalyzed hardened paint in a spray can with an upgraded spray nozzle.  I used it for both black and blue colors in my engine bay. Holding up well 3 years later.

1967 eight barrel

I covered this in my earlier post.

69 GT350 Vert

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 25, 2020, 12:45:44 AM

Not as thoroughly.  Nobody mentioned Eastwood product specifically.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 69 GT350 Vert on January 25, 2020, 09:33:09 AM
Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on January 25, 2020, 12:45:44 AM

Not as thoroughly.  Nobody mentioned Eastwood product specifically.
Back in 2007 I used painter's touch semi gloss black rattle cans  in my 68 Shelby engine bay. When I sold the car in 2013 it still looked great and show worthy and I'm ANAL about attention to detail. I used PPG single stage mixing correctly as told when using a hardener for my 70 Shelby vert. While my vert is now on 20 years since I painted it the 68 I  rattle can after 6 years held up just as good  comparing year after year. Gary
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/w61/shelbymann/0/P1010195.jpg
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

69 GT350 Vert

KR Convertible

I used the Eastwood as well.  It holds up well, but on a 428, the exhaust runners are going to discolor/burn.  I even coated the inside of the runners with Eastwoods internal exhaust coating (link below).  I don't think anything is going to hold up there.  Before I did the motor, it was done in the PPG and was discolored on the runners.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hi-temp-internal-exhaust-coating-w-nozzle.html

Bob Gaines

I think it is a unrealistic expectation to think that engine paint will not discolor on the exhaust. In concours for example there is not typically a deduction for the overspray on small block exhaust manifolds to be somewhat discolored . It is somewhat easy to touch up . Current conscientious is that Cobrajet exhaust manifolds should not have any engine blue overspray on them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR Convertible

Bob, I think you misunderstood my comment.  The part of the head where the exhaust manifold attaches.  There's about 2" of the head  between the valve cover and the exhaust manifold.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR Convertible on January 29, 2020, 04:41:16 PM
Bob, I think you misunderstood my comment.  The part of the head where the exhaust manifold attaches.  There's about 2" of the head  between the valve cover and the exhaust manifold.
No I did not misunderstand .  That is why I didn't quote you. ;)  I was being proactive and adding to the discussion in the next logical area after the runner area you mentioned.  :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby