News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Best Engine Gasket set to use

Started by Greg, January 03, 2020, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Hello everyone, I am putting the engine back together in my 65 and wondered which engine gasket set is recommended.  Thanks, Greg
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

shelbydoug

I like the fel-pros but there can be silly issues with certain gaskets.

First off, you need to decide which head gasket fits your combination best. They are made in different thicknesses and bore diameters. Using one vs. the other changes the actual compression ratio.

You can actually vary that by about .5 compression point.

The other thing with Fel-pros is they can be a little too hard on things like the thermostat housing gasket. I actually had to double mine to get it to compress enough to seal.

Also, under no conditions use the cork s shaped gaskets under the intake manifold. There you need to use silicone sealant. The cork is just too thick and will not compress enough to seal the corners of the intake manifold gaskets.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

"Driver" or "Concours" makes a difference.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Greg

Randy,

What would be the best for concours? 

Thanks, Greg
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

gt350hr

Quote from: Greg on January 06, 2020, 11:52:21 AM
Randy,

What would be the best for concours? 

Thanks, Greg

Original Ford gaskets. In the case of the intake they are white asbestos material and very obvious to judges. Same for head gaskets. Mc Cord gaskets ( no longer available on parts shelves) have a distinct tab and material pattern that is easily seen by a judge. For concours  "I" would recommend using the dreaded cork end seals . Then you have the "black cork" valve cover gaskets too. Lots of differences as you can see. I have many original gaskets "in stock" as I pick them up whenever I run across them for "special situations".
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on January 06, 2020, 11:34:24 AM

+1  A question that should have likely been asked first. The path you choose for the car *how you plan to use and enjoy the car) should be your guide post for the vast majority of your choices
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 06, 2020, 01:26:08 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on January 06, 2020, 11:34:24 AM

+1  A question that should have likely been asked first. The path you choose for the car *how you plan to use and enjoy the car) should be your guide post for the vast majority of your choices

Yes. Best and authentic aren't the same thing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!