News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT 350 1/4 scoop blackout inside?

Started by Rukiddin, January 05, 2020, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukiddin

White convert I believe should be blacked out inside the scoop ? Just spray low-gloss black through front of scoop? Flat black? Want to be sure before I spray black where it would be difficult to remove  :o
Thanks for any tips

Coralsnake

Yes, a lot of masking is a good idea.

Flat black is good

Rukiddin

Thanks! Tonites project and pinch weld black out will make a big difference....

Not sure why picture is turned.......

CO-Runner

The backside of the scoop and the body needs to be flat black?  What color caulking do you have between the scoop and the body?  I thought I read somewhere it should be clear.  Thank you

The Going Thing

During installation mask with 3M automotive masking paint. Use  100% silicone.  install the scoop. Mask around the scoop on the body right to the edge without overlapping the side of the scoop. Mask the scoop side, to the very edge that goes against the body. Don't allow it over the edge that seats against the body. Take the scoop back off, apply the sealer to the scoop edge, put it against the body and do NOT slide it around. Get someone to tighten up the retaining nuts.  You'll need some cotton cloth/rags and 90% isopropyl alcohol. It will remove the excess silicone. It must be done while it is fresh and wet. In other words immediately after installation.
Allow it to dry. You can that juncture degrease the inside if the scoop and use a paint tack rag to remove dust and particles. I picked up automotive spray paint universal black for my 67 Shelby.  Do NOT use low-tack house masking products. You can use Frogtape, or 3M professional automotive products. Be sure to pull the tape off back over top of itself SLOWLY.  You should have complete success following those instructions.

Coralsnake

Yes, back side of lower scoop was painted flat black. The factory installed clear silicon after the scoop was installed. A lot of newspaper and masking tape should do the job. You can tape right in the center of the flat part of the opening. It takes about then minutes. I do recommend getting some wax and grease remover if you should have any overspray. When you do the clear silicon, it was usually on the top and back, the front edge and bottom were not typically done.

I will look for some pictures

69mach351w

Quote from: Rukiddin on January 05, 2020, 05:31:14 PM
Thanks! Tonites project and pinch weld black out will make a big difference....

Not sure why picture is turned.......
If photo was taken with cell phone, will sometimes be turned.

I found that if you manually turn the photo on the cell phone 90* and click done, then go back and turn it the rest of the 270* then click done, when you post the photo, it will be correct.

I'm speaking for an iphone, don't know about others.

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

See, I even found a white one for you  :P

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

V8Dave

I was always curious. I don't mean to go off subject here as I know this is the 68 Shelby section however what is correct for 67 lower and upper scoops? Blacked out inside the both sets of scoops as well or body colour? I have seen both body colour and blacked out on lots of restored cars and always curious what's correct. Sorry do not mean to get off topic. :)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: V8Dave on April 05, 2020, 09:21:32 AM
I was always curious. I don't mean to go off subject here as I know this is the 68 Shelby section however what is correct for 67 lower and upper scoops? Blacked out inside the both sets of scoops as well or body colour? I have seen both body colour and blacked out on lots of restored cars and always curious what's correct. Sorry do not mean to get off topic. :)
Dave, it would be much better if you please pose your same question in the 67 section so others searching in the future can benefit from the discussion . I think it is a good question that many would find interesting.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby