Author Topic: Found 68GT500KR need help  (Read 11780 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: Found 68GT500KR need help
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »
Definitely agree with you apples and oranges

Just look at the 1967 Shelby prices compared to the 1968 Ford Shelby prices

Apples and oranges.

Tony, the white '67 GT350 sold for that much because it was Ruben's car.  Celebrity ownership always raises the value of cars.  ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 11:36:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rick

Sheep, definitely agree with you apples and oranges 

Apples and oranges.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 06:59:05 AM »
I own a high end restoration shop so that is not an issue at all. However and that being said, my time is worth money so I have to keep that in mind in the overall picture of the restoration. I am thinking very easily $100-125,000 including parts and labor for the restoration back to concours correct and that makes me VERY nervous especially with a non original short block.

Rick consider this, most cars don't have their original motor.

Many were blown up back in the day and replaced. That's what happens when they are driven.  ;D

This can/may be a contentious issue for a buyer.

Your motivation is a key factor. If you are looking to restore/drive the car, how can you put a price on that?

Obviously you don't want to be upside down in it, but sounds like you are well aware of the costs.

Lastly, most would agree that auctions are NOT the best indicator of current values.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:24:40 AM by Chris Thauberger »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 08:07:00 AM »
Auctions are only a device to track current reported sales. Private sales may go undisclosed or over or under inflated.

So in essence you'll get an over all accurate prices of what a certain brand is doing. The advantage of the auction data removes the need for statistical interpretation, allowing for pricing calculations without opinion or bias. Well heck you already know this.

Remember,  opinions are like belly buttons and everyone is an expert Monday morning quarter back.

Good luck in your search !

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

OldMil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »
Appears to be a solid candidate for sure.  Looks like it may not be an original red car? 

RickN427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 04:59:19 PM »
Needs lots of bodywork. Per original post, it is a White car. Was painted red 40 plus years ago.

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »
If you are having a shop do the work easily 1-125 for rusty car needing correct block and carb (I’m sure much more needed check radiator, fan shroud, air cleaner, snorkle that’s another 10 k. Even if you bought for 50 you’re already upside down. Better to invest 100 + for solid no excuses driver or 150+ for 100% concours. They are out there

RickN427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 05:06:11 PM »
Radiator, shroud, air cleaner and snorkel all there.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »
Rick buy it and enjoy it, if you don't someone else will. I especially love to find what you just crossed paths with its a perfect candidate for a redo. The debate continues to rage about do auctions set pricing on cars. They certainly do, that's why most real car people cant get enough of them. The greatest car collectors in the world cant wait for the auctions to find that elusive prize, or the guy that has a beer budget and champagne dreams theres something for everyone. No armchair quarterbacking experts, no Kelly blue book valuations, or even the automotive bible  HEMMINGS cant compare when the auctions begin. It is a crazy circus but that's where we go for Cobras to lambos to well VW micro buses you never know whats going to show up! :)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »
Unless it is really cheap and complete ,I would bag it and find a more solid car that needs less body work for a bit more cash.It is definitely a base for a restoration,but not a particular solid one by appearances.There ARE other cars out there...My 2 cents.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 08:44:59 PM »
Unless it is really cheap and complete ,I would bag it and find a more solid car that needs less body work for a bit more cash.It is definitely a base for a restoration,but not a particular solid one by appearances.There ARE other cars out there...My 2 cents.

This advice would serve most people really well.
That said,..
Like Dennis indicated,...some people love a project like this one.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Good morning Mr B,

Missed your comment, who is this celebrity we have???

Hollywood ???

Definitely agree with you apples and oranges

Tony, the white '67 GT350 sold for that much because it was Ruben's car.  Celebrity ownership always raises the value of cars.  ;D

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

RickN427

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »
I have gathered enough information about the car and will likely schedule a meeting with the owner next week and see if we can come to a deal. Not likely as we are pretty far apart. If not I will likely try and find a buyer for it and make a small fee. I am just too anal about my restorations and will be in it for way more money than the car is worth. Unlike some people I just cannot cut corners on my restorations but I pay for it in the end. My last personal restoration was over 2200 hours and $200k (including my labor) and I just cannot do that again. I greatly appreciate all the advice and help I have received so far.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 11:02:02 AM »
I feel your pain. I have done a dozen high end cars. There are no shortage of customers, but is painful. Its hard to convey that to the owners.

Buy a road car and drive it.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
+ 1 exactly my sentiments

I feel your pain. I have done a dozen high end cars. There are no shortage of customers, but is painful. Its hard to convey that to the owners.

Buy a road car and drive it.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy