News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Found 68GT500KR need help

Started by RickN427, January 05, 2020, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeah ,I am not really down with taking parts off a real Shelby to build a fake one...Kinda a lack of respect for history IMHO.....

shelbydoug

MOST of these cars don't figure financially. Even Concourse winners don't and maybe even they are further under water if the total amount of labor hours are considered as well?

There is no "Book Value" on these cars. You get what you can for them and move on.

Complete basket cases to me have ALWAYS sold for two or three times what they should have IF you start at what you think the current standard is.

I'm thinking that many who have been through this before MIGHT suggest that they experienced a scenario in which the car finished sold for about what the "core" cost plus the parts. No labor.

Many of us here, especially me, are virtually lunatic fringe and just do this stuff out of some misguided perversion of passion?

After 50 years of being involved with basically just Shelbys, I still can't explain why I stay. I can only offer that ilogic as hope to my wife. There is little sense there either?

Some things just don't make any sense at all? ;)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Doug, the more posts I read on the forum, from those who shall remain unnamed, the more you seem like a wise old sage

FL SAAC

+ 1

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 09, 2020, 01:09:12 PM
Doug, the more posts I read on the forum, from those who shall remain unnamed, the more you seem like a wise old sage
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Nah. You'll come to your senses in a few minutes. I've been around so long it's probably just "suspension of disbelief" on your part?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

+ 1  :)

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 09, 2020, 01:48:41 PM

Nah. You'll come to your senses in a few minutes. I've been around so long it's probably just "suspension of disbelief" on your part?  ;)

I have all UNGOLD cars

gpm6367

So? Any updates? Meet with seller?

I am nobody. Don't even own one....yet...make sure you contact the 68 registrar to get whatever info is known in registry.

I admire your courage. You've got the skill set so, if you can buy it right, go for it. Glad you nixed the thought of a rebody. Bring another back to life.  ;)

RickN427

Not yet. I intend to contact the seller back this week armed with the information I have learned and see where we are at. I will let all know. Thanks to everyone's help so far.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Rodster-500

+1

Why not, my post count is low.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Rodster-500 on January 12, 2020, 07:34:27 PM
+1

I never thought of that? Ahha! I get it now?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

boom holmes !

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 12, 2020, 08:20:39 PM
Quote from: Rodster-500 on January 12, 2020, 07:34:27 PM
+1

I never thought of that? Ahha! I get it now?  ;)

I have all UNGOLD cars

69mach351w

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on January 05, 2020, 08:24:48 PM
Let me leave you with these two Chinese proverbs;

1) A picture is worth a thousands words ( I have two for you )

2) 1968 more Ford than Shelby

"Haoyun"
On the first photo where it sold for 132k, where are the letters"GT" on the front fender stripes ???

Royce Peterson

Exactly, totally agree. If any of this made financial sense I would be a multi millionaire. Problem is, it doesn't make sense financially even though I do most of my own work. If you buy one of these cars, do it because you have to, you want to, and you need to, not because you think it makes financial sense.

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 09, 2020, 12:08:07 PM
MOST of these cars don't figure financially. Even Concourse winners don't and maybe even they are further under water if the total amount of labor hours are considered as well?

There is no "Book Value" on these cars. You get what you can for them and move on.

Complete basket cases to me have ALWAYS sold for two or three times what they should have IF you start at what you think the current standard is.

I'm thinking that many who have been through this before MIGHT suggest that they experienced a scenario in which the car finished sold for about what the "core" cost plus the parts. No labor.

Many of us here, especially me, are virtually lunatic fringe and just do this stuff out of some misguided perversion of passion?

After 50 years of being involved with basically just Shelbys, I still can't explain why I stay. I can only offer that ilogic as hope to my wife. There is little sense there either?

Some things just don't make any sense at all? ;)
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 69mach351w on January 13, 2020, 12:58:00 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on January 05, 2020, 08:24:48 PM
Let me leave you with these two Chinese proverbs;

1) A picture is worth a thousands words ( I have two for you )

2) 1968 more Ford than Shelby

"Haoyun"
On the first photo where it sold for 132k, where are the letters"GT" on the front fender stripes ???

Don't start asking hard questions, just be happy he can cut and paste  ;)

Wait for it..... I think there is a clever come back coming...wait...wait...
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold