Author Topic: Steering Box Replacement  (Read 1213 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Steering Box Replacement
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
I have removed the hood, export brace and Master cylinder/power booster from my 68 GT350 doing some winter work.  This has opened up a lot of space under the hood for cleaning and such.  I was thinking of replacing the after market (Flaming River) steering box with an original while things are more accessible.  My question is, in order to swap steering boxes do you have to remove the steering column?

Thank you, Corey

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Box Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
I have removed the hood, export brace and Master cylinder/power booster from my 68 GT350 doing some winter work.  This has opened up a lot of space under the hood for cleaning and such.  I was thinking of replacing the after market (Flaming River) steering box with an original while things are more accessible.  My question is, in order to swap steering boxes do you have to remove the steering column?

Thank you, Corey

No. You just disconnect the column at the "rag joint". Three bolts through the chassis to the "box" and it's out.

Now that you have discovered how much room there is near the brake master while it is out, depending on your use of the car, you might want to consider storing away the Midland booster and putting a current Bendix replacement in the car?

The amount of workable room that you gain in that area is amazing.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
Thank you Shelbydoug.  Good food for thought.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 12:36:11 PM »
just remember that the rag joint is "indexed" to the box, gotta be careful that it is perfectly lined up during re-connection.