Author Topic: And this is why people will choose the new Corvette C8 over the new GT500  (Read 17051 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: And this is why people will choose the new Corvette C8 over the new GT500
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »
I have nothing against the new Corvette. Cool engineering, great bang-for-the-buck, and it finally fulfills the decades-old mid-engine show car promise.  I'd like to try one.

I love older Vettes, and have owned one C1 two C2 big blocks and two C3 big blocks.

I'm very glad that GM isn't still back in the Roger Smith era.  The Corvette was nearly killed several times during its life, and I'm very happy to see GM now put such serious resources behind making a world-class sports car.  Competition raises the bar for everyone, and life is good, right?

Imagine if we were having this discussion in 1966, about the Cobra 427 versus a Corvette 427.  It could have been argued that who in their right mind would buy a Cobra with no top, side windows, heater, radio, etc, when you could get a fully loaded Corvette for less money?

Yes, the new GT500 vs Corvette scenario/argument is different, but it's still Ford vs Chevy, and thus lifelong biases (like rooting for sports teams) are ingrained.  But that doesn't mean that one sucks and thus the other is polar-opposite great. They are both very cool cars, very quick (with more power still to come) and we're lucky to have them. 

Let's check back on this argument in ten years when most of the new cars will be electric or hybrid.  Silent cars, no matter how quick, are of zero interest to me.   I drove my buddy's new $100,000 Tesla the other day and it was not exciting.  Torquey and quick, yes, but a big part of the fun of acceleration to me is the engine/exhaust sound.  And burning rubber. The Tesla is silent as a coffin, and has been 100% high-tech'ed out of spinning a tire.  Boring.

I'm enjoying these days as the best the performance car industry has ever seen, or will ever see again.  Fossil fuel rules!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:11:34 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »
+++1  side oiler

My son has the new Tesla - I've got a fire-breathing 1965 GT350 R tribute - we don't talk cars.

I send him pictures of me lapping real Cobra's and he sends me pictures of charging stations......God help the next generation and our hobby, for that matter, but that is off topic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:31:49 PM by madeulook »
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
I agree with you on mostly all except the new C8 is not cheaper.  Take a look inside the C8 vs the GT500 and it will make you change your mind or not

The Corvette is cheaper because Chevy knows what their product is worth. How many Corvettes do you know of that have lasting beauty after 1972. The answer is (Almost none) The 63-67s are the best the rest get aged looking in a hurry. I predict the new one will be the same. The Gt-40 and the Ford Gts never look aged. Camaro was the same way it started good and every year they made it, it got uglier. I have some Chevys and I like them, I'm just tired of hearing about the new ones. They should be able to build a Corvette to go to Mars and back with the billions they robbed off the tax payers.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
+ 1

I agree that the best Tupperware Chevys were in the 63 to 70 group though the C7 series created some excitement.  I never owned any but did drive a few over the years.  Some styles now make them look like stomped on Camaros.  But they are still in business and allowing us choices.  And I like the competition of style and innovation from Ford and Chevy.  Rivalry is a good thing.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
The new generation wants cars to sound like Star Fighters, not mean machines. Kinda like blower whine without the (g)rumble. 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 01:39:25 PM »
Design is kaka??? You certainly have not visited a Chevrolet dealer and viewed the C8.

Imagine what a terrible design it is when everyone consisted it to a Ferrari...not a bad thing and especially at $60k

IMHO the design is KAKA - but it has to be a blast to drive - but bow ties are for little boyz

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »
Yes, Interior wraps around you and is very driver-centric. But the exterior is just not for me. It has to be a blast to drive.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:25 PM »
Stop feeding the troll

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 01:44:56 PM »
I see you are a Jimmy Soul fan

IMHO the design is KAKA - but it has to be a blast to drive - but bow ties are for little boyz

"Little boyz"? I don't know? You're packin' what you're packin'" ? Talks cheap.

In three years used C8's should be pretty affordable?

Cars are like wives. Some guys like porkers. Some Super Models. All have their drawbacks.

You have to know your limits. Get one you can drive and afford to keep?

"Never make a pretty woman your wife, if you wanna' be happy for the rest of your life, so from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you!"

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
Beep Beep...

I have a buddy who married a super model. Everyone wanted to drive her. Divorced in 2 years. Been married to current model (ugly) for 25 years and very happy. Good strategy.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
Love it ZR1 at 1/3 of the price of a GT with a V6....

You have not been keeping up, let's answer your inquiries;

No we do not have one on order, we have expressed that we will wait to see if they have any bugs or maladies in its first year of production.

We will be driving the wheels out of this mass produced disposable super car. Then on to the next one

Of course the Mustangs outsells these two GM products.  We love Mustangs, we own a few. But can't pass up this economical and much superior super car.

GM will trounce the GT500 and the GT once the ZR1 comes out at a rumored $150/160k..ouch !

I hope you have a vette on order and enjoy plastic machine that will take forever to appreciate if it does at all.  The Vette will be short lived.  The Mustang damn nears outsells Corvette and Camaro combined.  Let's see GM make something that will compete against the GT.
A few weeks ago I walked out of a restaurant and the only car out there besides my Equinox was a new "grabber blue" Vette. I walked back in and talked to the engineer. Car was the 60K base model. When I asked him the price of a ZR-1 he was coy and couldn't quote me prices even though I'm also a GM employee. But after some bantering he pretty much said it would be about the same price as the current ZR-1. Well a LOADED top ZR-1 2019 I think would peg 150K and seen many with lower option packages at 135K(a friend tagged a company 2019 ZR-1 vert with the base option package with a few other options at 138K). So I think 150-160K sounds about right. Still a deal for what you are getting. About bugs in the first year? Well with all the delays and testing I hope they are gone. Gary

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »
We have a good friend that trades his car in as the tires wears out

We bought a late model GT500 from him at a very reasonable ( half price at the time) price. Guess who has a C8 on order?   That guy !

I just loved the article that revealed you have to pull the entire engine/trans to replace the drive belt!
"well, ya know it's no different than some Ferrari's that require engine removal for scheduled maintenance".......

everyone has their preference, and will drink the Kool-Aid because it's an emotional decision..

they will have the "new thing" that other's don't,  or they feel kooler because.....

I don't expect others to validate my choices by publicizing, to see what responses are generated

IMHO

jp

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
I love the way you preach, great points you bring up. Its good to see another car guy. Yes I like Fords, Chevy, Pontiac,  Mopars and really anything that runs on premium fuel. See you in church on Sunday

I have nothing against the new Corvette. Cool engineering, great bang-for-the-buck, and it finally fulfills the decades-old mid-engine show car promise.  I'd like to try one.

I love older Vettes, and have owned one C1 two C2 big blocks and two C3 big blocks.

I'm very glad that GM isn't still back in the Roger Smith era.  The Corvette was nearly killed several times during its life, and I'm very happy to see GM now put such serious resources behind making a world-class sports car.  Competition raises the bar for everyone, and life is good, right?

Imagine if we were having this discussion in 1966, about the Cobra 427 versus a Corvette 427.  It could have been argued that who in their right mind would buy a Cobra with no top, side windows, heater, radio, etc, when you could get a fully loaded Corvette for less money?

Yes, the new GT500 vs Corvette scenario/argument is different, but it's still Ford vs Chevy, and thus lifelong biases (like rooting for sports teams) are ingrained.  But that doesn't mean that one sucks and thus the other is polar-opposite great. They are both very cool cars, very quick (with more power still to come) and we're lucky to have them. 

Let's check back on this argument in ten years when most of the new cars will be electric or hybrid.  Silent cars, no matter how quick, are of zero interest to me.   I drove my buddy's new $100,000 Tesla the other day and it was not exciting.  Torquey and quick, yes, but a big part of the fun of acceleration to me is the engine/exhaust sound.  And burning rubber. The Tesla is silent as a coffin, and has been 100% high-tech'ed out of spinning a tire.  Boring.

I'm enjoying these days as the best the performance car industry has ever seen, or will ever see again.  Fossil fuel rules!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:42:14 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
Oh and one last thing tomatoe or tomato...

Ford's Bailout

Although Ford did not receive TARP funds, it did receive government loans. ... It requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/08/29/automakers-report-card-who-still-owes-taxpayers-money-the-answer-might-surprise-you/

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy