Author Topic: And this is why people will choose the new Corvette C8 over the new GT500  (Read 17054 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: And this is why people will choose the new Corvette C8 over the new GT500
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
This constant bickering between enthusiasts of Ford and Chevy goes all the way to the top and just benefits the heck out of everything to us, the consumers.

I say let them battle it out.

In the end, it just makes everything better.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:34:09 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
This constant bickering between enthusiasts of Ford and Chevy goes all the way to the top and just benefits the heck out of everything to us, the consumers.

+1
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
Oh and one last thing tomatoe or tomato...

Ford's Bailout

Although Ford did not receive TARP funds, it did receive government loans. ... It requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/08/29/automakers-report-card-who-still-owes-taxpayers-money-the-answer-might-surprise-you/
Tony, I have shared that link probably at least a 100 times to uneducated Ford lovers. AS far as the last article I read Ford still owes the govt 5.9 BILLION in a loan they got the SAME MONTH Gm and Chrysler got their loans(repay by 2021). The only reason Ford didn't need what the other 2 did were their mortgaging the blue oval a few years earlier( private funding which wasn't there in 2009)) because they were in a bad place and they asked for money IF THEY NEEDED it back when the big 3 CEOS flew to DC in 2008. Enough of a history lesson. The money Ford got came out of a fund for electric technology I believe. Ford used it to revamp their truck plants and develop the Eco-boost. So I say the FORD GT-built with taxpayer money. LOL. BTW Toyota and a lot of suppliers also got money out of the same fund Ford did but Ford got the lion's share. It is all out there and easy to find on the 'net. Gary
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:50:46 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »

Bickering. I love Chevies. I love Fords. I love Mopars.... The bickering are one brand closed minded individuals in my book. I have tired of all the GM bashing from Ford only lovers. Especially when they are ignorant of history. I have been fortunate to drive our Vettes, Caddy Vs and Camaros. Besides not having an equal to the Vette since 1957 has Ford ever built a luxury performance car like the Caddy Vs? Nope. When someone questions why Tony is here because of his GM connection just remember that Shelbys at one time were built with GM engines and if it wasn't for the Corvette Cobras would have been racing with Chevy engines...... Gary
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:01:40 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
Bickering. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »
In the end WE the consumers benefit as THEY Ford and Chevy will have to conform to the buyers

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 02:07:16 PM »
Hi Gary

What happens here, in other forums and even in life passion and blind faith kicks in. Not allowing you to make a rational decision.

I see it very simple, GM has an extraordinary value proposition that at this moment no one can touch. The base C8 at $60k will keep up with all the big boys Ferrari,  Lamborghini etc.

We should be proud as Americans that this vehicle the C8 is being compared to these icons.

And no I am not trying to piss off or troll anyone, I am a realist that sees a great American product at a very obtainable price for the average person.

Oh and one last thing tomatoe or tomato...

Ford's Bailout

Although Ford did not receive TARP funds, it did receive government loans. ... It requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/08/29/automakers-report-card-who-still-owes-taxpayers-money-the-answer-might-surprise-you/
Tony, I have shared that link probably at least a 100 times to uneducated Ford lovers. AS far as the last article I read Ford still owes the govt 5.9 BILLION in a loan they got the SAME MONTH Gm and Chrysler got their loans(repay by 2021). The only reason Ford didn't need what the other 2 did were their mortgaging the blue oval a few years earlier( private funding which wasn't there in 2009)) because they were in a bad place and they asked for money IF THEY NEEDED it back when the big 3 CEOS flew to DC in 2008. Enough of a history lesson. The money Ford got came out of a fund for electric technology I believe. Ford used it to revamp their truck plants and develop the Eco-boost. So I say the FORD GT-built with taxpayer money. LOL. BTW Toyota and a lot of suppliers also got money out of the same fund Ford did but Ford got the lion's share. It is all out there and easy to find on the 'net. Gary
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
Competition is good for the breed. GM called the tune. Call or fold.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »
The GT500 pays tribute to the Shelby Brand, the corvette is just another car that's trying to be Italian but just not quite there.  If one wanted a Ferrari then you should buy the real thing not a knock on GM product :-).....  How about GM building it to pay homage to a 67 corvette, then you're talking.

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »
IMHO, GM had to migrate to a mid-engine design because that's where all the world class hyper cars were and this is a global market.

The upside is that GM has the engineering resources to design and build a quality car at a bargain price, compared to its competitors. But never forget that Detroit led the world in front engine/rear drive performance vehicles, such as  C1/7 Corvettes and Shelby Mustangs. One reason, I believe, is the OHV V8. For decades, "sophisticated" enthusiasts would tsk tsk OHV engines compared to OHC configurations. But the C8 has the LT2 that delivers world class performance. That's because over the decades, Detroit refined V8s that delivered power and were daily driver durable. 

Yeah, there's rumored a DOHC V8 down the road, but I'll take the OHV engine. It maybe old school, but it's very refined old school. 

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »
Count me in the "I love pushrods" camp.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Ldouble619

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
A corvette thread with no responses from CorvetteMike?!?  So sad.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
Our beloved Mustang looks more like a pregnant carp then a serious muscle car. :-[ Ford already has the platform to unleash the baddest performance car on the planet if they choose to do so. The FORD GT could become the mustang, if they got their head out of their tail pipe.  If GM can produce a 200 mph beauty queen for 60k FORD could do it as well. Will the non beauty queen stay the same year after year as an ugly duckling with 1000 HP? Hopefully not change is difficult but good. Henry Ford hated change he felt the model T should remain with a lot of in fighting. Then the model A came along and the masses loved it, he wanted that to remain longer as well but the 32S came along with the new flathead v8 and the world changed forever. In my eyes something similar is going on as we discuss this. The real problem as I see it is that NON CAR TYPES are running corporate America and they dont seem to understand or care what people want! The aftermarket gets what people want … Been to a S E M A show... Holy Cow they get it... ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
Our beloved Mustang looks more like a pregnant carp then a serious muscle car. :-[ Ford already has the platform to unleash the baddest performance car on the planet if they choose to do so. The FORD GT could become the mustang, if they got their head out of their tail pipe.  If GM can produce a 200 mph beauty queen for 60k FORD could do it as well. Will the non beauty queen stay the same year after year as an ugly duckling with 1000 HP? Hopefully not change is difficult but good. Henry Ford hated change he felt the model T should remain with a lot of in fighting. Then the model A came along and the masses loved it, he wanted that to remain longer as well but the 32S came along with the new flathead v8 and the world changed forever. In my eyes something similar is going on as we discuss this. The real problem as I see it is that NON CAR TYPES are running corporate America and they dont seem to understand or care what people want! The aftermarket gets what people want … Been to a S E M A show... Holy Cow they get it... ;)

It used to be tall and lean like Shelby. Now it's short and humped up like Quasimodo.

Is the head of the design team a non-comital he/she or a she/he with a manbun and purple suede high heels? I wonder?

It's a pity how the mighty have fallen into a cespool of global gender variance and customers who think the Nissan Cube is the coolest thing to "wear"?

Is it "Prince's" fault?

I remember when Ford Corporate folks started showing up at SAAC Conventions, tell us how influential we were, but told us to stop asking us for jobs at Ford. Maybe they should have listened?

You can establish yourself with building something like the Ford GT as elite but with the infinitely small numbers you build them in, just show your attitude of elitism and "don't tell us how to build anything" lectures.

It was the little folks who made Ford a winner at Lemans but it all just went to support the ego of the Emperor who owned the little people anyway?

Where is this all going? It can't be good?

Did Ford ever understand that the concept was Jack the Giant killer? I have my doubts.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2020, 08:13:45 AM »

It used to be tall and lean like Shelby. Now it's short and humped up like Quasimodo.

Is the head of the design team a non-comital he/she or a she/he with a manbun and purple suede high heels? I wonder?

It's a pity how the mighty have fallen into a cespool of global gender variance and customers who think the Nissan Cube is the coolest thing to "wear"?

Is it "Prince's" fault?

I remember when Ford Corporate folks started showing up at SAAC Conventions, tell us how influential we were, but told us to stop asking us for jobs at Ford. Maybe they should have listened?

You can establish yourself with building something like the Ford GT as elite but with the infinitely small numbers you build them in, just show your attitude of elitism and "don't tell us how to build anything" lectures.

It was the little folks who made Ford a winner at Lemans but it all just went to support the ego of the Emperor who owned the little people anyway?

Where is this all going? It can't be good?

Did Ford ever understand that the concept was Jack the Giant killer? I have my doubts.

Doug, I get your frustration but let's face it, you and I aren't the market that Ford is targeting.  I'm sure your father or grandfather said the same things about the mustang.  Throw away car, ladies car, tin can, ugly, unsafe, etc....  see what I mean it is all perspective with what you grew up with and Ford is driven to focus on branding their vehicles to the next generation.  They know most of us aren't going to spend $$ on a new mustangs because we are nostalgic of the past.

You could say yeah but WE (our generation) can afford to purchase a new car and the 20's something can't. Thats not true, they probably can't pay cash, but they have no issue financing a vehicle. 

When our generation dies off (oh yes we all will) and Ford didn't try to move ahead, they would die as well.  Ford will be around long after you and I are long gone.

Relax, enjoy the ride and love the vintage antique cars like we all do.