News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT500 with an aluminum 427ci Competition Package engine

Started by Don Johnston, January 07, 2020, 02:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owenkelley

It's this one, sold at BJ in 2004. the first one I ever saw bring a bunch of money at BJ......

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-SHELBY-GT500-FASTBACK-22231

Don Johnston

B-J auction deceptive description.  What a surprise! 
Actually for a decent modified Shelby GT500 price, it would be a nasty boulevard blaster.  The unfortunate part comes with hyped up description leading to a grossly inflated result and the let down when the car is judged by SAAC experts at a show that have to reveal the true history to the previously uninformed owner. 8)

JD

The footnote in the SAAC ('67 Shelby) Registry on this car seems pretty clear on this car.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Kent

@JD what does the actual registry say? I only have the 1997 here

Quote from: JD on January 07, 2020, 10:31:10 PM
The footnote in the SAAC ('67 Shelby) Registry on this car seems pretty clear on this car.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

Maybe they just forgot go mention the 427 on the original invoice ?

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bigfoot on January 08, 2020, 10:19:10 AM
Looks good in black

Yes it does. Makes them look smaller I think.

Caution fan sticker and side stripes incorrectly applied. Oye-yi-yi!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: Bigfoot on January 08, 2020, 10:19:10 AM
Looks good in black
.   Especially with the contrasting white "skunk stripes".My black 67 has gold stripes and you just don't get that "pop"....

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Don Johnston on January 07, 2020, 10:11:36 PM
B-J auction deceptive description.  What a surprise! 
Actually for a decent modified Shelby GT500 price, it would be a nasty boulevard blaster.  The unfortunate part comes with hyped up description leading to a grossly inflated result and the let down when the car is judged by SAAC experts at a show that have to reveal the true history to the previously uninformed owner. 8)
One of the worst feelings I can have is when I have to break the news to a uninformed buyer/owner that the car was not as original as he/she thought. Another unfortunate aspect not typically thought about is the push back when the truth is revealed  ;) . I have had people accuse me of not knowing what I was taking about or other choice words because some expert ,dealer or book writer said otherwise. Shoot the messenger comes to mind. I always try to share info in a truthful but sensitive way on the show field . When ASKED off the show field should you be honest or just polite is always in the back of my mind . Of course if you are paid to do a evaluation you HAVE to give the unvarnished truth. Most of the times those people although disappointed are appreciative. Last thing in the world I would want to do is diminish the enthusiasm ,embarrass, or just make feel bad a fellow Shelby enthusiast . The show offs and braggarts not so much but still even them  :D .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

People get angry when they are embarrassed and lash out.An easily avoided problem if they do their due diligence (Or have the sense to hire an expert if they are "in over their head" ...or just plain lazy)Making a major purchase like this is never something to embark on "unprepared".Dumb to be "penny wise and pound foolish"IMHO

csheff

yep I do feel for u Bob and all the others that try to help and are given so much grief, lucky for us your love of the cars and judging gives u more pleasure to over look the bad. At times u may feel it just isn't worth it. I for one am glad u and the others stay in the game.

shelbydoug

I appreciate how you share your knowledge Mr.Gaines.

It isn't always easy to express attitude in print. It can often be misuderstood.

I've had people approach me privately and ask questions that are so technically specific that I tell them, "you need to ask Bob that?" I don't get the response, "that SOB! He's got some attitude!" very often anymore.  :o

I say "no, you misunderstand him. When he tells you "that's all I'm going to tell you on that, you have to figure the rest out yourself", it just means he's tired and needs a nap now. He'll get back to you later.... or maybe not?"  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!