Author Topic: Spec Rear End Question?  (Read 1747 times)

FordGT

• View Profile
Spec Rear End Question?
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:53 PM »
Does anyone know what yoke Ford used with the SPEC rear end case?  1310, 1330 or 1350

Thanks

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Spec Rear End Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:19:29 AM »
  1330 , "short step" ( in the back) Daytona Retainer specific . The step I am referring to is just under 1/2" on the "short step" and almost 3/4" on the "standard " yoke. The same yoke was used on all "production" nodular iron ( C4AW-B) cased differentials. It carried on through '72 as well with the DOOW-B cased diffs. The yokes do not have part numbers on them so a visual is the easiest way to ID them. Maybe someone will post a picture of both. The same forging was used for both further confusing the issue. Only the machining was different.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
This is the short Daytona yoke.

Randy. You really need to get yourself a camera or better yet one of these new electronic gizmos that you can talk on, send obscene texts and pictures to others with. It's fun!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:07:19 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
So is it the short or long 1330 yoke? I do understand that the inside of the yoke is machined deeper to accommodate the thicker Daytona pinion support, but what is the approximate OAL of the yoke? ~5"?

Thanks in advance, Mike

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:45:09 PM »
 It is the "long" approximately 5" yoke. You need to pay attention to the cut on the inside of the "backside" ( that rides against the bearing). That needs to be the "short" dimension I called out for use with the Daytona retainer. The deeper cut ( almost 3/4") is for a standard retainer. BOTH are about 5" overall and both use the 1330 U joint. 
    Randy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »
Both of mine are the same 4"+. One is in a SPEC. One is in a C4AW.

The really short one was in a 28 spline SW housing. Don't know where that one is at the moment. Might be a C7 casting with a single rib?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:14:52 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FordGT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
Thanks Guys....

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 11:13:25 AM »
 I'll put it this way , "if" you use a long 1330 yoke and the pinion nut does not go past the end of the pinion threads "at all" when tightened, you are using the wrong yoke. Some "creative" guys counter bore a "standard"  yoke to get around that and it "will" work , it's just not "factory".
   Randy

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:37:26 AM »
Some "creative" guys counter bore a "standard"  yoke to get around that and it "will" work , it's just not "factory".
   Randy

And (note that the "counter bore" is under the pinion nut seating area), "turn-off" the snout extension under the seal, some, to provide reasonable location for the seal particulate shield and overall yoke length.  You-know,........... for some of us "creative guys",  and I'd bet you couldn't tell, as installed with the "correct" paint daubs (lavender & Yellow as I recall seeing, O.K., maybe wrong?) applied (note that the internal spline length will be off, but this is not visible and of no concern for function as this length is excessive as provided originally).    ::)

Scott.