Author Topic: better option than detroit locker?  (Read 15913 times)

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: better option than detroit locker?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »
I'm building a 9" axle for my GT350R tribute and remember hearing that the Detroit Locker used in the original cars is not a great option for a street car. Anybody got an informed opinion on the pros/cons of going with an aftermarket locker as opposed to the Ford Traction Lock that was used in other Shelby cars? I do hope to get the car on a road course now and then for some spirited driving but I won't be racing it competitively. Most miles will be on the street. Motor will be a 302 stroker so probably about 400 HP.

Try an Eaton Truetrac. I have one in one of my '66s that I drive quite a bit. I love it.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 11:21:07 AM »
I have a Torsen in a Late model car. It is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/JEiSTzK-A2A

Has anyone used one in one of our older 9" rear Shelbys?

428kid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 03:01:11 PM »
I know someone like me needs to vouch for Randy . I can however promise that he knows his stuff and he needs no Camaro driving neighbor to tell him what kind of a noise a locker might or might not make. I can also add that my DL is an newer big spring model and yes in the right spot it will make noise. Not saying that Royce's might not make noise , I'm just not that lucky. Having that said I cant say that I don't like the sound a little bit lol.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »
Mine was installed by me back in 1994. I've driven it maybe 35,000 miles since then, and because of it I also installed several others in various Mustangs and Cougars that I and others have owned since then.

The one in my GT-E has been to the Pure Stock Drags a few times. I drove the car from Cincinnati to Newport News once after I got a new job there. If it ever made a noise it was not memorable. It has been driven in the rain and was not a big deal then either. One thing for sure, it will hook up both rear tires on the slickest drag strip when you launch just as good today as it did back when I first installed it. The whole reason for installing it was that I could not keep rebuilding the Traction Lock every few months, it was too messy and expensive. The TL would last a few thousand miles and then become a one wheel open differential when the clutches wore out.

A couple years ago I installed a used "H" series DL that I bought on eBay in another GT-E that has since been sold. That DL acted just like the ones that some Drag Pac Boss Mustangs got back in 1970. It was wonderful. People across the parking lot at a car show would look confused, then come over and ask if I had just broken something in the rear end.

The big difference between a new DL and a new Traction Lock is that the Traction Lock will be worn out in a few thousand miles.

I have not used any of the other options mentioned. You will notice I only comment on things I know about. But if I ever need another new differential it will be a Detroit Locker.

I know someone like me needs to vouch for Randy . I can however promise that he knows his stuff and he needs no Camaro driving neighbor to tell him what kind of a noise a locker might or might not make. I can also add that my DL is an newer big spring model and yes in the right spot it will make noise. Not saying that Royce's might not make noise , I'm just not that lucky. Having that said I cant say that I don't like the sound a little bit lol.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »
I love the DL in my car and the “clunks” etc don’t bother me at all. If it bothers others they can go F themselves.
And don’t anyone take that as a personal attack either. I mean while I’m driving it etc.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:18:24 PM by Bigfoot »
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

428kid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
Mine was installed by me back in 1994. I've driven it maybe 35,000 miles since then, and because of it I also installed several others in various Mustangs and Cougars that I and others have owned since then.

The one in my GT-E has been to the Pure Stock Drags a few times. I drove the car from Cincinnati to Newport News once after I got a new job there. If it ever made a noise it was not memorable. It has been driven in the rain and was not a big deal then either. One thing for sure, it will hook up both rear tires on the slickest drag strip when you launch just as good today as it did back when I first installed it. The whole reason for installing it was that I could not keep rebuilding the Traction Lock every few months, it was too messy and expensive. The TL would last a few thousand miles and then become a one wheel open differential when the clutches wore out.

A couple years ago I installed a used "H" series DL that I bought on eBay in another GT-E that has since been sold. That DL acted just like the ones that some Drag Pac Boss Mustangs got back in 1970. It was wonderful. People across the parking lot at a car show would look confused, then come over and ask if I had just broken something in the rear end.

The big difference between a new DL and a new Traction Lock is that the Traction Lock will be worn out in a few thousand miles.

I have not used any of the other options mentioned. You will notice I only comment on things I know about. But if I ever need another new differential it will be a Detroit Locker.

Yes sir DL all the way , where is my like button !

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »
With all this DL love, looks like I should dig my Locker out of storage and put it in the sale section.
It's 25 years old and never been kissed!
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
With all this DL love, looks like I should dig my Locker out of storage and put it in the sale section.
It's 25 years old and never been kissed!

Indeed
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 08:09:56 PM »
Here you go

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
I have a Detroit Locker and a Gold-Trac and well as Traction-Loks. For road course, aggressive street driving you can not beat the torsen style limited slip differential. Smooth and does not upset the car when trail throttled. I love mine in my Shelby and even though expensive I highly recommend. My Detroit Locker is fine on the street, drives nice and is way better for the drag race starts. For what your goals are the Eaton Truetrac I would think is best.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »
When 843 was restored I requested a Detroit Locker and it was indicated it would be put in for a 3.50 rear end.  When I finally got big red on the road I heard no clunking of any sort which disappointed me.  I question whether there is a Detroit Locker in it and my question has therefore become:  Is there a quick an easy way to determine if there is a Detroit Locker in it or do I have to drain the diff oil and tear it apart?  I suspect the latter.  I also suspect it must be an open rear end therefore?  The Detroit Locker seems highly durable even if used for the street??

Best,
Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 10:15:24 PM »
My original 65 Detroit Locker didn't break. It fell apart. And my car was only 10 yrs old and hadn't had any abuse. Happened getting on the San Bernardino Fwy at Tyler 1975. Definitely wasn't cool. These things were Furnace Brazed 'together' with schlock quality. Useless. I posted pics of it on old forum, still got it here somewhere. I had another 'gen-one' which I ran for a while, then switched to a Traction-Loc which is still in the car, never a bit of trouble.
The Locker: Street driving a PIA. Slow u-turns were a fight until it clunked.
Its sitting on the shelf w my original T-10M-1. Another useless anachronism!!

I love the 1965 GT-350 and have had the pleasure of driving one almost my whole life, and I respect the purity of the concours cars, but many of the now-vaunted early parts simply didn't hack the load of hi-performance street, weekend racer duty.
There's a reason why radiators, fuel pumps, fans, intakes, M-1 transmissions, etc are now 'rare'....and it wasn't because they were good!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:50:35 AM by camp upshur »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
When 843 was restored I requested a Detroit Locker and it was indicated it would be put in for a 3.50 rear end.  When I finally got big red on the road I heard no clunking of any sort which disappointed me.  I question whether there is a Detroit Locker in it and my question has therefore become:  Is there a quick an easy way to determine if there is a Detroit Locker in it or do I have to drain the diff oil and tear it apart?  I suspect the latter.  I also suspect it must be an open rear end therefore?  The Detroit Locker seems highly durable even if used for the street??

Best,
Richard E.

The DL will act as an open rear if you put the car up on stands and turn the wheels. It needs load on the tires to decide which side to lock the drive to.

As Randy said, you can mess around with the locking by changing the spring in the unit. The Ford Motorsport "racing" spring smooths out the engagement a lot.

SA put a warning decal in the glove box for a reason.

When I got stopped by the Cops for backing over the Police motorcycle and not stopping I had a heck of a time trying to explain the actions of the "Locker" and why I dismissed the noise?

I had to consent to being examined by the Police Psychiatrist. Cops would take turns coming to talk to me and kept staring into my eyes. Must have been part of their training? Something about "self reinforcing delusion"?

At least this time I didn't have to promise the Judge that I wouldn't hit anyone again as part of the settlement?  :o

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »
If the DL was installed at all it would have been some time in the year 1994 or 1995. Don't know there were Motorsport springs in that time frame? I mean the car rides fine and I have no complaints. But I like the idea of having something heavy duty bullet proof in the rear. Some here are saying they break up after a while. Maybe I should just leave as is. If it works don't fix it right?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 11:24:19 AM »
+1 on the True Trac. I have one in my 69 GT350 behind ~550 hp (418W stroker), it works great!

I have lockers in a couple of cars and prefer the TrueTrac
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:28:08 AM by mikeh »