News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Coralsnake Updates

Started by Coralsnake, January 09, 2020, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Cheers!

It's time for birthdays...Carroll Shelby and the Coralsnake.com

Ever wonder about those dual serial numbers and why they seem to appear randomly? Do you like vintage ads? (the only type you will ever find on the website)
How about seeing 68 # 101 finished? Do you have a question about GT500 pulleys? or why they are "S" codes?

www.thecoralsnake.com/new

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Chris Thauberger

Where does he find the time?

Great contribution to the hobby Pete.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

FL SAAC

Much appreciated,  your the best !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Royce Peterson

Looks great - One question I have always meant to ask Pete.

The PI cylinder heads are drilled for 8 bolt holes on the exhaust so they would not work on a Shelby 428. Also, the oil pan needed for the Mustang installation is not the same as the oil pan used for the Shelby. How did those parts get installed when the engine ID was the same as a 428 PI engine?

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 09, 2020, 07:02:01 PM
Cheers!

It's time for birthdays...Carroll Shelby and the Coralsnake.com

Ever wonder about those dual serial numbers and why they seem to appear randomly? Do you like vintage ads? (the only type you will ever find on the website)
How about seeing 68 # 101 finished? Do you have a question about GT500 pulleys? or why they are "S" codes?

www.thecoralsnake.com/new
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 09, 2020, 08:54:11 PM

The PI cylinder heads are drilled for 8 bolt holes on the exhaust so they would not work on a Shelby 428. Also, the oil pan needed for the Mustang installation is not the same as the oil pan used for the Shelby. How did those parts get installed when the engine ID was the same as a 428 PI engine?

[/quote]What do you think was different about the oil pan that was installed from Ford on the PI engine and the one you think was used on the Shelby?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

As you know, engines were not built on the vehicle assembly line. They were prebuilt and shipped to New Jersey. The build sheet code for the engine is the key. Each code dictated specifically what parts should be used. I suspect no other Fords used those specific GT500 engine identifiers- 405J04 and 405J05 each probably had a specific build sheet for engine guys to follow

Corey Bowcutt

Love your website Pete.  So much priceless info shared as well as great stories.  Thanks for all you do!

Corey

Royce Peterson

Bob,

Full size cars - i.e. Police cars - did not use the same oil pan as FE's that were going into either midsize or pony cars.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 09, 2020, 09:19:26 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 09, 2020, 08:54:11 PM

What do you think was different about the oil pan that was installed from Ford on the PI engine and the one you think was used on the Shelby?
[/quote]

Royce Peterson

I looked in the Master Parts catalog and did not find anything specific regarding the 405J suffixes. Were not 405J04 and 405J05 the same suffixes used on police cars? Google was no help on this question BTW.......

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 10, 2020, 05:48:35 AM
As you know, engines were not built on the vehicle assembly line. They were prebuilt and shipped to New Jersey. The build sheet code for the engine is the key. Each code dictated specifically what parts should be used. I suspect no other Fords used those specific GT500 engine identifiers- 405J04 and 405J05 each probably had a specific build sheet for engine guys to follow

Coralsnake

I suspect not.

Did they use a aluminum intake?

shelbymann1970

Thanks Pete for your excellent site. I am amazed at how some owners- even long time owners- have never visited the page or would quote "facts" that were contrary to what is found on your site. I love all the vintage photos and info available for anyone to see. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

That was the original idea. Provide basic information for everyone as a baseline.

Dan Case

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 10, 2020, 09:14:44 AM
That was the original idea. Provide basic information for everyone as a baseline.

Well done I think.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Special Ed

Great job as always pete .  Just think of how GREAT it would have been if pete was a 69 Shelby guy and would have started a 69 Shelby site back 20 years ago and he could have called it Purplesnake  HAHA!!!