News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Coralsnake Updates

Started by Coralsnake, January 09, 2020, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Im willing to stick my toes into the 1969 pool

;)

Royce Peterson

The 428 PI engines show the aluminum intake being standard until late in the 1968 calendar year - about midway through the 1969 Model year. So the aluminum C7AE 9425-F (casting numbers) intake would be on every 1968 model year PI build.

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 10, 2020, 09:07:51 AM
I suspect not.

Did they use a aluminum intake?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Quote from: Special Ed on January 10, 2020, 09:53:20 AM
Great job as always pete .  Just think of how GREAT it would have been if pete was a 69 Shelby guy and would have started a 69 Shelby site back 20 years ago and he could have called it Purplesnake  HAHA!!!

Now there's a thought?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Well we need a non Shelby - PI build sheet

That would be intetesting to see

gt350shelb

so ooo   would the change ofdual vin plate show up as a warranty repair?
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on January 10, 2020, 11:24:09 AM
so ooo   would the change ofdual vin plate show up as a warranty repair?

Why would it get changed out?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Im not sure Phil

I think I have information on about 80 dual serials. So we are taking about a hundred cars possibly?

Doug see memo on this page

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/dualserial

Dealers were supposed to replace the dual serial number plates.

8T03S1425

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 10, 2020, 09:12:24 AM
Thanks Pete for your excellent site. I am amazed at how some owners- even long time owners- have never visited the page or would quote "facts" that were contrary to what is found on your site. I love all the vintage photos and info available for anyone to see. Gary

Pete's website is the 1st place I go when looking for info I need about '68 Shelbys. I find it's also a great place to check for fact versus fiction.

Here's an example of minutiae that can be oh so important. When I was looking for front window crank handles for my car, I cited info, crank length and casting #s included, from Coralsnake.com only to get lots of grief and negative comments from many of the typical parts vendors. They all swore that Ford would not have made 2 different window cranks for the Mustang door windows in 1968. Front versus rear window cranks; yes. Deluxe interior versus standard interiors; No. Undaunted by their negativity, I found what I needed in junk boxes that some small time vendors had that held all kinds of door handles or window cranks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Pete put it on the web, I believe it, that settles it.

Pete, Thanks for all you do for this hobby.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

shelbydoug

I never saw those letters.

To answer Phil's question, check with Vinman. He transferred the waranty info from the microfish system. There were eight rolls of it which is enough paper to fill 8 filing cabinets with.

I never saw any waranty notations about vin tags. That doesn't mean they aren't there though.

He noted the warranty information in the Registry. Not me.

It is unknown if that is the complete total of the records but considering how many invoices and IBM cards were missing I would say that there may be more documentation out there somewhere?

The letter explains a lot to me. It explains why some cars have the dual number tags still and they are higher Shelby unit numbers then others.

I would think then that -00212 SHOULD have originally been a dual number car?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 10, 2020, 12:39:39 PM

To answer Phil's question, check with Vinman. He transferred the waranty info from the microfish system. There were eight rolls of it which is enough paper to fill 8 filing cabinets with.

I never saw any waranty notations about vin tags. That doesn't mean they aren't there though.

Well there are 2 invoices for the car   one a dual number  and a second that is not
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Coralsnake

Phil the cut off date at Smith was 15 December, before that date you probably had dual serial number plate originally

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on January 10, 2020, 01:35:08 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 10, 2020, 12:39:39 PM

Well there are 2 invoices for the car   one a dual number  and a second that is not

I saw a few of those invoices for more then several cars.

I would interpret that situation of two invoices as, it was intended for -00212 to have the dual numbers. The two invoices suggest that the car initially had the dual number vin tag and that was changed before it was shipped to the dealer. The invoices matching the vin tags.

The window sticker is one of the carbon copies from the invoice and they generally show the dealer the car was being shipped to.

The exceptions to that on '68s is the Hertz cars. Those don't show retail prices but a discounted price that I'd have to describe as "discounted" or maybe that was the cost to Shelby to produce the car?

I've ONLY seen one '68 Hertz invoice, and no, it wasn't mine.  ;)

What would change that view would be if the car did have a waranty invoice from the selling dealer to change the tag.

You have to ask Vinnie if he has seen even one AND how else would a dealer document the change and request payment otherwise?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Another great and helpful update to your site, Pete.

As unique and kinda cool the dual serial number cars are, I'd prefer to have a single number.

The DMV, insurance company inspectors, and any nosy LEO would likely cause you to spend a lot of time 'splainin why your Shelby has two VINs.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Coralsnake

I have another letter I can post up

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 10, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
Bob,

Full size cars - i.e. Police cars - did not use the same oil pan as FE's that were going into either midsize or pony cars.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 09, 2020, 09:19:26 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 09, 2020, 08:54:11 PM
Looks great - One question I have always meant to ask Pete.

The PI cylinder heads are drilled for 8 bolt holes on the exhaust so they would not work on a Shelby 428. Also, the oil pan needed for the Mustang installation is not the same as the oil pan used for the Shelby. How did those parts get installed when the engine ID was the same as a 428 PI engine?

What do you think was different about the oil pan that was installed from Ford on the PI engine and the one you think was used on the Shelby?
[/quote]Ok I thought you were inferring that AO Smith changed the oil pan. Sorry I assumed that you were aware that the engine code specifically designated how the engine was built.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby