News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Leaf Spring Identification

Started by 68ShelbyKR, February 21, 2020, 12:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ShelbyKR

I have a 1968 Shelby GT500 KR and I am looking to replace the leaf springs. 

My question is, how can I identify original or period correct leaf springs.  What numbers or identifiers will help me?

I'm attaching a picture of the current leaf spring with numbers

Thanks in advance
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby

Coralsnake

That's it

Save the spring, deconstruct it and save the smallest leaf for reuse

Bob Gaines

Glad to see you still have the factory springs as donors for the bottom plate. Keep in mind that not all springs in the aftermarket look alike. Some leafs will match the round end appearance of the factory springs and others will be square cut. It would be prudent to get some that match the factory appearance especially if you are going to swap over the round end factory bottom leaf.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

68s are supposed to sit a little low in rear with the nose up, for an aggressive stance, rather than level.  Don't over compensate and go for level.

68ShelbyKR

Thank you all for the advice.

This forum is fantastic!
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby