Author Topic: New owner of KR convertible  (Read 10435 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: New owner of KR convertible
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »
Would like to see the “new” titles.

Eating $60k isnt my idea of education.

Fraud is never acceptable

Just think now the new owner of the OK car can get a free lawsuit with his winning bid.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »
Death by natural cause

Was a lawyer and committed suicide on a gun range.

Yikes -

- Phillip
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2020, 10:47:58 AM »
Was it stated somewhere that 3210 was one of his original cars that is being auctioned?  Or just another 3210 clone they built?  I did not see numbers anywhere?

I am into this car for under $50k. I knew it was not the original body when I bought it, but was shown info from the Shelby registry where the car was supposedly found in a Dallas junk yard and thn was rebodied.  That is where I fell for the story.
I am perfectly happy with the car itself considering what I have in it. I know it is not a thoroughbred Shelby with original parts.
But I do not like the idea of a totally fraudulent title. I have considering asking the DMV to issue a new VIN and title without the 3210 on it, but my concern is they may want to just confiscate the car. They can call it a Kia for all I care. I just want to be able to enjoy the car without fear of loss, or to cause my grandson to get in trouble should he inherit it from me.

I would rest easier if I knew the current status of “real 3210”.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
I dont believe the VINs are listed, but if they were faking real cars and they have a red KR convertible that would seem to be the logical deduction.

I would think a call to the Potawatomie, OK District Attorney, Allan Grubb or county sheriff will answer that question.

I believe there were some other cars not shown on the news.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:58:02 AM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
Thinking about this, i doubt that the county sheriff released your car if they knew the numbers were fake. It almost looks like additional fraud may have occurred after the events in Shawnee. Might be the place to start.

Ask them what became of the “clones” ?

Thats their terminology, not mine
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:42:55 PM by Coralsnake »

Mustangcraze

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2020, 05:57:20 PM »
Sorry guys, I’m just now reading these posts.
#3210 was reportedly found in a junkyard in Earlsboro, Oklahoma. In 2006, the thieves filed for lost title in Oklahoma using one of their lady friend’s name.  In 2010, this woman’s signature was forged by the perps on a bill of sale and the title. The title was then transferred to guess who? One of the perps. It was then sold  to a local business man in Shawnee, OK. He is deceased. His kids sold the KR in the Leake Kruse auction. In 2016 when the clones were seized, #3210 was not brought in.
Almost all of the original cars and their owners have been found concerning the Shawnee, OK clones, except #3210 & #4302. The clone to #4302 was in an auction last year in France.
However, the DA, Allen Grubb, has recently auctioned 2 of the cloned Shelby’s, both 1970 GT500 convertibles. He re-titled the vehicles using a state assigned VIN but neglected to take the stolen VIN’s off the inner apron fenders.  He advertised these cars with their respective Marti reports also showing the stolen VIN’s. The auction item description never revealed the cars as clones. The County Sheriff spent 3 hours in court attempting to get an injunction to stop Grubb’s auction. The injunction was denied. An Oklahoma highway patrol trooper performed an inspection and submitted a report for all “visible” VIN’s on these cars. That’s why the injunction was denied. The judge just didn’t understand it. I think the trooper missed a few “visible” VIN’s because the auction showed pictures of cloned 68KR engine bays with the Shelby automotive plates still attached.
There is another auction scheduled in June for the remaining clones. All of the perps are now deceased. Wherever they are today, I’m sure they are “laughing out loud”. The DA is selling these stolen/cloned cars just as they intended. He’s a very $ hungry attorney.  These cars were never Shelby’s, not even rebodied Shelby’s.
I’m sorry. This has greatly embarrassed me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:03:12 AM by Mustangcraze »

68ShelbyKR

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • Convertible owners group on facebook
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2020, 03:49:54 PM »
For what it is worth, I inquired about that vehicle several years ago and was completely put off when I received photos of the VIN's.  It was very obvious it was fake and they were trying to sell a stolen/misrepresented vehicle.

I contacted the state police there and forwarded them the information. Unfortunately I never heard back, nor did I bother to contact them back.

A little bit about myself, I have been in Law Enforcement for over 30 years and held every rank from  patrolman (yes, that is what we were called back then, it's not PC now) to Detective, to Chief of Police. With that said, everything Coralsnake, shelbydoug and BGlover67 have stated is true. It looks like the real one has shown up, hence just the possession of the vehicle is a crime, though not likely to be prosecuted with the facts you stated.  But you will have it seized at some point unless you are pro active and start the process to get a new VIN, which your current state can help you with.  Hopefully you can find another Ford VIN stamped somewhere and use that.  That would probably be the cleanest way to get this resolved.

I was fortunate when I finally did buy my 2 Shelby's and contacted Vinny about their history (thanks Vinny).

I wish you well my friend, and hope you get in front of this before it bites you.
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I’ve always been asked, ’What is my favorite car?’ and I’ve always said ’The next one.’ - Carroll Shelby

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2020, 04:38:51 PM »
Live and learn.
3210 now has another owner.  I sold it with full disclosure of everything I have learned here.
Thanks to everyone for the education.

It is now someone else’s problem. Luckily I was able to get back a bit more than I had in it.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »
^^^ Wow. what a mess. But... Glad to hear that it [more or less?] ended well for you.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:08 PM »
Not sure if it means anything or not, but the driver of the rig that picked it up was Russian.

68ShelbyKR

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • Convertible owners group on facebook
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »
Glad to hear that!

Now we need to get you into a real Shelby!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:26:08 AM by dirpubsaf »
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I’ve always been asked, ’What is my favorite car?’ and I’ve always said ’The next one.’ - Carroll Shelby

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
The honest truth is I did not want a concours Shelby because my nature is to modify the heck out of everything.  That is why I was OK swapping my 65 Vette for the “rebodied” Shelby.  The non original body meant I could do whatever I wanted. The misunderstanding on my part was that it was a Shelby that the owner had to replace major body parts due to damage.  Turns out, that was not the case.  It was a fraudulent car. 

I have owned a modified 66 GT fastback since 1992.  It has a Dart aluminum 427 stroker and TKO600 with Cobra disc brakes, power R&P, power brakes, power locks and windows.  The car was centerfold in Mustang Monthly back in 2006.   I also have a restomod 56 F100..  I think I can be happier just learning to enjoy the stuff I already own.  It was a lifelong dream to own a KR.  Now I can check that box off the list.  Sort of...