News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

New owner of KR convertible

Started by TXLakester, January 09, 2020, 08:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: TXLakester on January 10, 2020, 10:00:00 PM
Quote from: 557 on January 10, 2020, 09:39:57 AM
Is the car actually registered under that Shelby vin? Because.......

What exactly is this post inferring?
.  If it is registered under the Shelby vin ,and is not that Shelby,likely a federal crime has occurred.The car in that case is registered with a vin that doesn't belong on THAT car.Kinda like switching license plates from one car to another...(and if you have ever watched COPS you know how that goes LOL)

Coralsnake

Charles is 100% correct. You have very real legal jeopardy.

It doesnt matter what its registered or titled as. Clearly the intent was to recreate the identity of 3210. From the photos I have, I feel comfortable saying its not 3210 and no part of it, including the tags, are original. Its not the first fake from Shawnee, OK either.

I dont have a perfectly clear photo of the dash tag, but the picture I do have of it appears to indicate its also a fake. The door tag is a fake, the painter didnt even take time to mask it properly. I guess they call that patina? The numbers on the fender aprons have been poorly stamped.

Clearly a crime has been committed in my opinion. You cant restore something that you dont have. You can debate if changing tags to a different body is legal or moral. Thats not what happened here. Its all fabrication. If you show me one original tag, I will retract that statement.

If 3210 does show up in any form, you will have a mess. Possibly a legal one. The reality is most of these crimes go unchecked. You are going to have even a bigger mess when it comes time to sell it.

I dont say these things lightly. This is a hot potato.

I can only surmise the Shelby VIN tag is also fake.

Reproduction tags are fine, until someone abuses them like this. Unfortunately they are very prevelant

BGlover67

Quote from: TXLakester on January 10, 2020, 10:00:00 PM
Quote from: 557 on January 10, 2020, 09:39:57 AM
Is the car actually registered under that Shelby vin? Because.......

What exactly is this post inferring?

People like Coralsnake, Doug and Biggie are giving you sound advice here.  There are documented instances where legal authorities have come and confiscated misrepresented cars and destroyed them.  Just ask the Cobra Registrar, big money values tend to bring out big fraud perpetrators.  In that case, you would lose your entire investment in the car at best because it is considered a fraud.  And, as mentioned, if you were trying to sell the car, then you could be set up for huge legal problems and possible jail time.  Can I ask, why represent it as 3210 at all?  As mentioned, title the car as the Ford Vin currently stamped on the apron sheetmetal, if any of the original donor car are still present.  Have someone help you locate the hidden stamped apron VIN's   Then have a removable 'fantasy' Shelby VIN plate made up for car shows and events.  Have it stamped as car. no. 4455. (FYI, the last car titled in 1968 was no. 4450)

I live in North Carolina and have dealt with registering a few 1967's here in the state.  The authorities are very much looking for anything abnormal.  Here, registering a car that is from another state necessitates a physical inspection by the DMV officers.  If they even think that the VIN plates have been removed, they get mighty concerned.  I had a dickens of a time registering two (soon to be three) early 1967 cars here.  They just couldn't accept an 11 digit VIN as being legitimate.  '67s, as anyone on here will attest to, are the oddest year ever produced.  There are literally cars that have 11, 12 and 13 digit long VIN numbers.  Crazy!  It took intervention by the '67 registrar (Thanks Dave!) to make it happen.

There is nothing wrong with a clone, and with the current cost of KR convertibles, no one would begrudge you for owning one.  But misrepresenting it as something else goes against what this whole hobby is about.  Using the excuse "At local shows, it allows people to at least see what a Shelby looks like, since it is very rare to see a concours example show up."  won't hold much water when the DMV officers show up after the guy you sold the car to reports it to the authorities.   :(
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

In this case, the "donor" chassis had all the VINs removed (thats probably also a violation) and the serial number of 3210 added to the new aprons.

The only numbers on this car belong to 3210, including the "hidden" VINs. They are so poorly stamped that there is little doubt they are not originals. They were clearly shown in the eBay auction, so there is no ambiguity. The car was originally being represented as original, but only after the auction started the seller admitted it was not the original chassis in private emails to a friend.

Im not going to discuss the details further, because of previous experiences. I can tell you now which forum members would be compelled to share the tells. Lets just say its very obvious

There is no easy solution here for extraction. This is a prime example of why should ask before you buy. I have said it many times, know the history and never buy a "restored" chassis without any original parts. Thats a huge red flag. I understand thats not what the current owner did here, but that was the origin of this fiasco. He could have avoided all this by asking first.

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

TXLakester

On your Shelby title, is the manufacturer and car info listed as Ford or Shelby?  Is the car listed as a Mustang or a GT500?  Just trying to figure out if some other shenanigans occurred when the car was titled in Oklahoma and the transferred to TX.

Again, thanks to everyone for the enlightenment on this car. I have no idea what course to take other than to just enjoy the car and never sell it.  Wondering if I should approach the one who sold it to me with demand to take it back.  He is not the original seller of the car either. I think he bought it at a Mechum auction.

Coralsnake

This has been discussed on our forum numerous times. How its titled Shelby or Ford is not important. Its entirely up to the titling authority what they want to call it when the car is registered.

As far as never selling the car, eventually someone will have to... are you leaving them with the problem?

Not making light of your situation, but could there be more sheenanigans?

I will let you up for air now, we cant eat newbies anymore.

TXLakester

Does this VIN tag from the dash look legit?  I have obscured the consecutive number for posting purposes, but the number does match the title and the title has 03210 at the end of this tag number.

From what I can tell the car had complete big block shock towers/inner fenders installed, eliminating any hard VIN stamps.

Hey, I don't mind any criticism of comments. I am just trying to figure out what to do. The fact is, someone sold this car to ME and I now own it.  Just trying to keep myself out of legal issues.  It seems I have stepped in something and can't get it off my shoes.

Maybe revise my will.  Destroy car upon my death after canceling insurance ...

Wondering if my legal recourse involves s lawyer and contacting seller about the issue.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TXLakester on January 13, 2020, 03:29:33 PM
Does this VIN tag from the dash look legit?  I have obscured the consecutive number for posting purposes, but the number does match the title and the title has 03210 at the end of this tag number.

From what I can tell the car had complete big block shock towers/inner fenders installed, eliminating any hard VIN stamps.

Hey, I don't mind any criticism of comments. I am just trying to figure out what to do. The fact is, someone sold this car to ME and I now own it.  Just trying to keep myself out of legal issues.  It seems I have stepped in something and can't get it off my shoes.

Maybe revise my will.  Destroy car upon my death after canceling insurance ...

Wondering if my legal recourse involves s lawyer and contacting seller about the issue.
For clarification does that mean you are saying it has "wrap around shock towers" or not ? I hope you know the difference. Also are you saying it has new front and rear aprons on both sides with no VIN stamping ? FYI the window tag looks genuine reproduction from all I can see.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TXLakester

Yes, it has wraparound big block shock towers.  No numbers under the fender edge right or left side or under the Shelby VIN tag on the left inner fender.  Only that dash tag is on the car and a reproduction Shelby apron tag and door tag.  I am assuming the big block shock towers and inner fenders were installed using preassembled aftermarket parts like the ones on CJPony for $2,500 per side.

Coralsnake

I know there are a lot of opinions on the forum. That is the nature.

Please let me share my experience with you. I have been involved with 1968 Shelbys since the 1980s. I only research 1968s. I have been SAAC National head judge, I have law enforcement experience, I have a file of over 1500 cars, all are 1968 Shelbys. Most files contain pictures of tags. I study these tags very closely. Most pictures don't have an agenda. The ones that do, are recognizable.

I am not saying that to brag, but to reinforce my points.

It is my opinion the tag you posted is a reproduction. There are several people that make these tags. The door tag on your car is also fake. These numbers are all openly available to any criminal.

If you give me any Shelby number 1-4450, I can provide you with all the numbers needed to restamp a complete set of tags.

There is nothing on this car that is original from what I have seen. Not the tags or the body.

Coralsnake

Here are some pictures of the car from the eBay auction

Coralsnake

Maybe you can see the thieves "production line" in the background? This was a case known to many in the Shelby circles.

Coralsnake

Yes it has big block shock towers. That proves nothing. The donor chassis is not an AC car and has no Shelby specific holes in these photos. The car had vin numbers stamped on these front aprons at the time of the auction. Are you saying there is no number under the Shelby VIN tag on the left hand side of the car under the hood?

Coralsnake

Reproduction door tag "before"