Author Topic: New owner of KR convertible  (Read 10433 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: New owner of KR convertible
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
Same reproduction tag after paint job

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
This car was likely picked out of the Shelby World Registry because it did not have an owner history past 1969. That certainly does not mean the car was destroyed. Only cars that are reported to the club have history. Many cars are still around and are never reported to the club.

Let me say this also, I am not going to discuss what makes these tags reproductions, but there is little doubt in my mind and no I don't want to be involved in your lawsuit. These are just my opinions.

But, like I said before I flagged this car a long time ago. The thieves should know these things are being watched very closely and not to try this with a 1968 Shelby.

Sorry to be the bearer of such news
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:34:45 PM by Coralsnake »

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
i am just a little bystander here but have owned many Mustangs, muscle cars, old trucks etc since 1977.....

bottom line for the owner here....

CORALSNAKE is an expert on 1968 Shelbys as he just told you....and is well known

the VIN number and this discussion is now public on the internet so the story is known to all.....

my 2 cent advise is to call the guy up you traded with and get your Vette back............if you say you will never sell ( doubt it there comes a time to let go of everything) then whomever is left holding this car will go down in flames.....you don't want to do that to a friend or relative do you?
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 06:29:57 PM »
Thank you for the support.

However, the numbers were all public before this thread. 

I do understand your point, its much more known now.  The information regarding the car is all in the Shelby American Registry.

These were responses to direct questions.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Really the only thing that could possibly be done is to remove all the VINs related to 3210 and have the car retitled under a state issued number.

The problem there is this would likely put the car in jeopardy because removing or tampering with VINs is a violation of federal law. This would have to be done under the supervision of a sworn law enforcement officer, possibly the FBI.

Then they are going to want to know why the VINs are "bad" and the car could be subject to confiscation.

I guess you could remove all the VINs and rebuild the car without any VINs and then ask for a reconstructed, state issued title? I don't have any experience in that area and there would certainly be a lot of questions. Theoretically if a Mustang came out of a junk yard without a front clip or doors I would think  it could be rebuilt and issued a state issue title with a new state ID number.

A good investigator should be able to trace the car back to the Shawnee, OK criminals.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:51:02 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
Does this VIN tag from the dash look legit?  I have obscured the consecutive number for posting purposes, but the number does match the title and the title has 03210 at the end of this tag number.

From what I can tell the car had complete big block shock towers/inner fenders installed, eliminating any hard VIN stamps.

Hey, I don’t mind any criticism of comments. I am just trying to figure out what to do. The fact is, someone sold this car to ME and I now own it.  Just trying to keep myself out of legal issues.  It seems I have stepped in something and can’t get it off my shoes.

Maybe revise my will.  Destroy car upon my death after canceling insurance ...

Wondering if my legal recourse involves s lawyer and contacting seller about the issue.
For clarification does that mean you are saying it has "wrap around shock towers" or not ? I hope you know the difference. Also are you saying it has new front and rear aprons on both sides with no VIN stamping ? FYI the window tag looks genuine from all I can see.
After further examination on the tag comparing it to others I have on hand along with ones shared by respected others I have to reverse my conclusion on the window tag as genuine. The picture tag is a cleverly patina ed repro. I am amending my previous post.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »
Bob, thanks for your input. Shot down my last ray of hope, but I would rather have the truth.  I really do appreciate all the input received here. I just wish I had not trusted the seller’s explanation of a rebody.  I was ok with a rebody, but it appears the truth is, there was no car to rebody. It was just built from scratch.  There are no stamped VINS anywhere. The fender, door and dash tags are fakes. The pictures posted from ebay match the car. Uneven door and quarter gaps match, as do the cracks in the door latch screw holes.
Again, I am ok with the car itself considering what I paid for it, but the possibility of having purchased something illegal that could come back on me is unacceptable.  I just wish I had not trusted what I was told.  In reality, I am not sure the seller knew all the details.  Since it was not trying to be passed off as an all original car, I was not too concerned. But the VIN issues as a totally faked car are a whole ‘nother story.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:33 PM »
....Again, I am ok with the car itself considering what I paid for it, but the possibility of having purchased something illegal that could come back on me is unacceptable.  I just wish I had not trusted what I was told.  In reality, I am not sure the seller knew all the details.  Since it was not trying to be passed off as an all original car, I was not too concerned. But the VIN issues as a totally faked car are a whole ‘nother story.

At least your experience can serve as a lesson for others. Unfortunately sometimes it takes someone "touching a hot stove" serve as that example for others to take notice. Sure we will be linking back to this thread in the future when similar questions and  possible similar situations arise.  :(
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 09:21:42 PM »
I am saddened you have to go through this as well.  I hope you can work it out

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »
Don't we have a few good lawyers on this site?  Deathsled?  Sounds like you need proper representation, and to get your Vette back.  This shouldn't be your problem, you didn't fake it. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 10:26:35 PM »
If anyone knows of a good lawyer who has experience in this kind of thing, I am open to contact.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 10:50:14 PM »
Wrap around big block shock towers metal pieces have been repoed long ago so u don't have to buy another big block donor car to get them BUT what many people don't know is there are differences in the metal wraps between 68 and 69 and 70 if you know what to look for and I don't think all 3 versions have been made. If these Shawnee OK people involved with this car are the ones I am thinking of someone involved in this had a sad ending.

TXLakester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »
The dealer that sold the car at the Mechum auction was from OKlahoma. I bought it from the guy that bought it at the auction. Care to elaborate on the sad outcome?  I am now very curious of all the tainted history of this car.  I guess I am the new poster child.
I have been dealing with Mustangs since early 80’s. Just have never come across a dishonest Mustanger before. I guess this is just a different game at a different level.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »
The dealer that sold the car at the Mechum auction was from OKlahoma. I bought it from the guy that bought it at the auction. Care to elaborate on the sad outcome?  I am now very curious of all the tainted history of this car.  I guess I am the new poster child.
I have been dealing with Mustangs since early 80’s. Just have never come across a dishonest Mustanger before. I guess this is just a different game at a different level.

Big $$$ = Big Fraud  :'(
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Someone in this story died. Suicide I think? Forgive me its been a few years...