News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

New owner of KR convertible

Started by TXLakester, January 09, 2020, 08:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCJSTU

Quote from: TXLakester on January 13, 2020, 11:03:18 PM
The dealer that sold the car at the Mechum auction was from OKlahoma. I bought it from the guy that bought it at the auction. Care to elaborate on the sad outcome?  I am now very curious of all the tainted history of this car.  I guess I am the new poster child.
I have been dealing with Mustangs since early 80's. Just have never come across a dishonest Mustanger before. I guess this is just a different game at a different level.

would this be your car that sold at Mecum in 2011?.....sold as a replica.....different stripes........

https://www.mecum.com/lots/IA0711-112617/1968-shelby-gt500-kr-replica/
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Coralsnake

No different car.

I think after the OK legal troubles this car was altered. That may be why the current owner says it has no apron numbers. It was a step in the right direction, apparently they didnt destroy the fake tags and continued the charade

shelbydoug

The dealer that sold the car at the Mechum auction was from OKlahoma. I bought it from the guy that bought it at the auction. Care to elaborate on the sad outcome?  I am now very curious of all the tainted history of this car.  I guess I am the new poster child.
I have been dealing with Mustangs since early 80's. Just have never come across a dishonest Mustanger before. I guess this is just a different game at a different level.

I'm not sure that you have a case? You need to consult with the local DA.

Examination of the car, except for the missing Ford apron stampings don't necessarily indicate a smoking gun as far as a rebody.

Previous pictures of the car (from the Ebay auction) would need to be proven that they are this car and you are going to need a bunch of "expert witnesses" to testify as to why they think it is a rebody.

Expert witnesses charge fees and "they ain't cheap".

Just looking at the Waranty tag and windshield tags as they appear now with their added patina don't necessarily give it away as non-originial.

I don't disagree with Coralsnake but he can't prove anything in court. It's just his opinion and that's just there to rattle the defense, make them fold and make you a settlement offer.

I think that your best course of action is to approach Mecuum as having sold a fraudulent car. You always go after "deep pockets" first.

You could also approach the previous owner and suggest that he is a co-conspirator to them.

This car is going to be difficult to show documented history to. Oklahoma DMV might want to know but if they have no records of it ever have been registered or titled there then it is completely under the radar.

You need to know what you want to happen. Do you want to reverse the trade for your Corvette? Do you want monetary damages? That will decide the best course of action to take.

This likely is going to be too small of a case for an attorney to take the case. If it was a GT40 or a Daytonna Coupe, that's a different story but they are going to want 50% and that already means you are out 1/2 of what you have in it.

Even if you find the shop who did the work and they admit it their share of the damages is likely to be just what they put into it. Value of the item needs to be established.

You can't get $1,000, for a damaged suit from a dry cleaner if the suit is only worth $100.

You can't get $1,000 an hour for your time to correct what a painter charged you $25 an hour for, etc., etc..

This entire thing is a mess and could take years and lots of legal fees to work out. That's not in the car. Pressure the seller and Mecuum. You WILL hear from Mecuum's attorney for sure. They do have liability insurance and they may make you an offer?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

Here is a link from a local news source: https://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dirt-news/attorney-commits-suicide-amidst-lawsuits-criminal-investigation

The relevant excerpt:

QuoteThe search warrant records show Kermit Milburn was the subject of an investigation that involved cloning classic Ford Mustangs using vehicle identification numbers and car parts.

According to the search warrant, there were Shelby Mustangs that bore VIN's listed to other owners and to Kermit Milburn. The search warrant shows a VIN to 1968 Shelby Mustang valued at $250,000 to one owner; but the same VIN was also found registered to Saubren, LLC, a company owned by Kermit Milburn. 

Leonard Compton formerly did restoration work for Milburn. His ex-wife, Patti Sharp provided a statement to investigators regarding what she witnessed.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

How many are there and which one is this?

I guess he shot himself at "the Safety First Range" because it was safer there? :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

I dont think Mecum can be held responsible for something they may sold 10 years ago? Who knows where its been since? Or whats been done to it?  Best you can do is work backwards one sale at a time. Original investigators might have interest.

Apparently "clone" is worse than "rebody"? This is why that whole area should be discouraged.

Coralsnake

I believe there were at least a dozen, several were Shelbys.

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Coralsnake

FL SAAC

+ 1 correct

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 14, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

I'm not sure that you have a case? You need to consult with the local DA.

Examination of the car, except for the missing Ford apron stampings don't necessarily indicate a smoking gun as far as a rebody.

Previous pictures of the car (from the Ebay auction) would need to be proven that they are this car and you are going to need a bunch of "expert witnesses" to testify as to why they think it is a rebody.

Expert witnesses charge fees and "they ain't cheap".

Just looking at the Waranty tag and windshield tags as they appear now with their added patina don't necessarily give it away as non-originial.

I don't disagree with Coralsnake but he can't prove anything in court. It's just his opinion and that's just there to rattle the defense, make them fold and make you a settlement offer.

I think that your best course of action is to approach Mecuum as having sold a fraudulent car. You always go after "deep pockets" first.

You could also approach the previous owner and suggest that he is a co-conspirator to them.

This car is going to be difficult to show documented history to. Oklahoma DMV might want to know but if they have no records of it ever have been registered or titled there then it is completely under the radar.

You need to know what you want to happen. Do you want to reverse the trade for your Corvette? Do you want monetary damages? That will decide the best course of action to take.

This likely is going to be too small of a case for an attorney to take the case. If it was a GT40 or a Daytonna Coupe, that's a different story but they are going to want 50% and that already means you are out 1/2 of what you have in it.

Even if you find the shop who did the work and they admit it their share of the damages is likely to be just what they put into it. Value of the item needs to be established.

You can't get $1,000, for a damaged suit from a dry cleaner if the suit is only worth $100.

You can't get $1,000 an hour for your time to correct what a painter charged you $25 an hour for, etc., etc..

This entire thing is a mess and could take years and lots of legal fees to work out. That's not in the car. Pressure the seller and Mecuum. You WILL hear from Mecuum's attorney for sure. They do have liability insurance and they may make you an offer?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

Cloning your own cars is about as stupid as stupid gets.

propayne

Was a lawyer and committed suicide on a gun range.

Yikes -

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Greg

Unless you paid Shelby prices just enjoy the car and call it a clone, recreation, or whatever the new "term" for what a Shelbyish look a like car is these days.  If you paid Shelby prices, then you have a problem and truthfully the legal system is not much help unless it is a $1M + car but the bottom feeder attorneys will gladly take your money and make the financial condition worse. 

IMO...Talk to the person you bought it from and try to realign the pricing and see if you can come to an agreement (I doubt that will happen but you never know), if not, lick your wounds and call it an expensive education.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1