News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Black GT500 EXP at Mecum?

Started by Royce Peterson, January 10, 2020, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Peterson

Saw it sell while watching my recording of today's auction. Surprised Craig Jackson did not buy it.Is the history well documented? $350K seemed like good money.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

No history...Its a made up afterthought that was originally built to capitalize off the original cars   

Shelby_r_b

I was completely shocked by the hammer price.  It started to stall mid-way through the bidding, but then took off.  I'm guessing that Carroll's signature on the title carried a lot of weight (I'm not sure that it was really his personal car as advertised).

I saw on Facebook where the previous owner said he purchased it to promote his auto business.  Very well sold.
Nothing beats a classic!

Royce Peterson

Holy crap it's a phony?

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 10, 2020, 08:15:30 PM
No history...Its a made up afterthought that was originally built to capitalize off the original cars
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 10, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
Holy crap it's a phony?

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 10, 2020, 08:15:30 PM
It was contemporary version commissioned by Shelby's group. The diecast car company's immediately jumped on the band wagon.  I still have the small version I bought at Restoration Hardware.15 + years ago.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

Autoweek article back in 2008. - - https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/shelby-auctions-black-hornet-mustang-charity

The owner had it priced for $800k earlier this year and was always trying to hype it up on Facebook saying it was a real Shelby.  It is what it is, but not a Shelby built in 1968.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on January 10, 2020, 08:02:47 PM
Saw it sell while watching my recording of today's auction. Surprised Craig Jackson did not buy it.Is the history well documented? $350K seemed like good money.
I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer is unaware of how it fits into history ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Chris Thauberger

It's an auction.... Caveat Emptor
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Bob Gaines

Pretty high price for a Legendary built car . Not the Peter Klutt Canadian company of the same name.  Is anyone aware of one selling for more?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on January 10, 2020, 10:00:39 PMI'm guessing that Carroll's signature on the title carried a lot of weight (I'm not sure that it was really his personal car as advertised).
He had a deal with some people where they would register a car in his name just to bring the sale price up. I din't know if it was just with close friends (customers) of if anyone could approach him with the deal. I'm certain CS made a buck or two in the deal.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 10, 2020, 11:53:38 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on January 10, 2020, 10:00:39 PMI'm guessing that Carroll's signature on the title carried a lot of weight (I'm not sure that it was really his personal car as advertised).
He had a deal with some people where they would register a car in his name just to bring the sale price up. I din't know if it was just with close friends (customers) of if anyone could approach him with the deal. I'm certain CS made a buck or two in the deal.
I agree on suspicion of not very personal other then signature on many of the title cars. Call me cynical. It was my understanding from one of party's involved in the selling of cars titled in the CS name years ago that a substantial portion of the profit went to the heart fund for the registering in his name. The later unique cars paid a 10 K licensing fee I understand.

Don Johnston

[/quote]I agree on suspicion of not very personal other then signature on many of the title cars. Call me cynical. It was my understanding from one of party's involved in the selling of cars titled in the CS name years ago that a substantial portion of the profit went to the heart fund for the registering in his name. The later unique cars paid a 10 K licensing fee I understand.
[/quote]

I believe that I have heard the same story about raising funds for the CS Heart Fund by offering specialty edition continuation cars that were custom built and titled under CS name to enhance the purchase or auction price.  It frequently worked during a good market.  But like the  sales of the first built of late model Shelby named vehicles, the value was not sustained or increased over subsequent years from the initial offering. 8)