News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Driveshaft tube in tube type

Started by 480083, October 23, 2022, 08:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's time to restore the driveshaft on my 1969 GT-350 with the FMX transmission.  The driveshaft is the tube in tube type at the axle end of the driveshaft.  I can send to Deadnutson but they will replace the axle end yoke since the tube in tube type yoke can't be rebuilt by them.  Or, I can attempt to restore the driveshaft using the article I have seen in this forum.  If it makes a difference, the driveshaft has 200k miles on it and U joints appear to be the only service ever done. The rubber between the tubes looks solid.  From a judging perspective, does either way of restoring the driveshaft make a difference?

J_Speegle

Guessing you saw the article from CMF on restoring your original driveline. Glad its helping others and inspiring some to at least consider restoring their originals if the tube isn't pitted beyond use. It was a fun project. .

If both are restored or made correctly there would not be any difference in a judging setting

Difference would come down to IMHO
1- cost of one over the other
2- the speed and ease of done one or the other
3- the satisfaction of doing it yourself
4- the ability to claim your car has its original parts - in this case the driveline

Depends on you and your chooses
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 480083 on October 23, 2022, 08:29:27 PM
It's time to restore the driveshaft on my 1969 GT-350 with the FMX transmission.  The driveshaft is the tube in tube type at the axle end of the driveshaft.  I can send to Deadnutson but they will replace the axle end yoke since the tube in tube type yoke can't be rebuilt by them.  Or, I can attempt to restore the driveshaft using the article I have seen in this forum.  If it makes a difference, the driveshaft has 200k miles on it and U joints appear to be the only service ever done. The rubber between the tubes looks solid.  From a judging perspective, does either way of restoring the driveshaft make a difference?
Tube in a tube type driveshaft is not original to a 69/70 GT350 so no use in restoring it if originality is your expectation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Is the no tube in tube for a GT350 an absolute? The reason I ask is the car has a couple of unexpected items on it such as a deluxe shifter handle, not wood, and the original owner said that's the shifter it came with.  Plus, the build sheet lists blue, blue and pink for the driveshaft stripes and the driveshaft itself has the same three stripes.  Could be a coincidence on the stripes.  I don't mind getting a different driveshaft just want to be sure.  Thanks.

shelbydoug

"Tube in a tube" is for the "current" production vehicles that use a flanged output.

The original uses a yoke that slips in and out as the suspension travels up and down.

The current vehicles do not since many are now IRS and the rear is fixed in position and does not travel. The tube within a tube is a slip joint that is a substitute for the original yoke.

They do the same thing.

It sounds like your drive shaft was changed out at some point in the past and a newer design was substituted?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

I would not be surprised if the driveshaft was replaced at some point with a junkyard item.  To the original owner, the car was just transportation and getting it fixed cheaply was the goal.  The only thing that gave me pause was the stripes on the driveshaft matched the build sheet.

Coralsnake

I wouldn't discount the driveshaft so quickly....

https://www.deadnutson.com/351-tube-in-tube-driveshaft-identification/

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 24, 2022, 12:41:18 PM
I wouldn't discount the driveshaft so quickly....

https://www.deadnutson.com/351-tube-in-tube-driveshaft-identification/

Is the car automatic?
I wouldn't be surprised if it also had to do with assembly plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Can you post a picture of the build sheet??

Coralsnake

Lets start with its not typical of a GT350, but your assessment looks correct.

Now we need to figure out why?

You car was built on the first order DSO 2501, maybe it's unique to a very early order?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 480083 on October 24, 2022, 03:12:29 PM
Two copies of the build sheet.

Thanks. Glad you had these as it gives us something solid to compare and reflect on. Going through my collection of buildsheets as I know others are  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

From a judging perspective the expectation would be the car gets restored as it was originally built