Author Topic: hood straightening  (Read 9168 times)

hood straightening
« on: January 11, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »
I have noticed that most Shelby hoods have a bow to them. I have heard that it was a result of the springs pulling up on the latched hood. Not sure if that is true, but the look is less that desirable.

I am restoring a 69  GT500 with a slight form of this condition. What is the best (or recommended) way to correct this condition so that the hood lies flat with the fenders when the hood is closed?  FYI, i have factory original fenders and hood.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: hood straightening
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
I have noticed that most Shelby hoods have a bow to them. I have heard that it was a result of the springs pulling up on the latched hood. Not sure if that is true, but the look is less that desirable.

I am restoring a 69  GT500 with a slight form of this condition. What is the best (or recommended) way to correct this condition so that the hood lies flat with the fenders when the hood is closed?  FYI, i have factory original fenders and hood.
I would recommend to pull your springs and let it set for a while and see what you have. I only use the light tension springs I can put on by hand when I want the hood open. I also use a prop rod. Depending on the bow it could mean cutting the inner structure or to a lesser extent using weights in strategic locations while the hood sits on horses. My hood had a bow in it until I took off the springs a few decades ago. Stored it at a friend's house and didn't take off the "Branda" springs and found a bowq in my hood 3 months later. Freaked me out and took springs off immediately. Here is how it looks today. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shelbymann1970/albums/72157712540880967
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
I think on forum 1.0 there was a shop that specializes in straightening hoods.

Just don't remember any details.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
I think on forum 1.0 there was a shop that specializes in straightening hoods.

Just don't remember any details.
It is a good thing you don't remember. Unfortunately I do. The shop in question and to the point it's owner because it is a one man shop are a piece of work with many poor result instances. Don't ask me how I know . :o
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »
Gary u need to bring your good looking 70 Shelby to in. saac this year for the 50th 1970 Shelby meet since last year u showed up without your car. We are going to have SPECIAL 50th gifts for all 70 shelbys designed by none other than SPECIALed.  There is a letter documenting aosmith workers actually were bending upward the fender aprons to help the hood alignments but had  to stop because of cracking spotwelds or damaging apron tops so they were aware of the problem when new. I think they tried to fix the problem by building up the thickness of the 1'' wide black sealant under fenders as some original cars I seen were very thick especially in the middle area where the hood bow is the worst. I don't know why the  69 Shelby engineers didn't simply use a weaker hood spring since the fiberglass hood was lighter than the regular steel mustang hood.

Hotrod Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »
 Just for conversations sake imagine, removing your hood from your car, now you will have two hood hinges in the up position with the spring in normal resting position. Now push the hood hinge down (the position it would be in if you had a closed hood) the spring would be stretched, but would stay down on it own, since its designed to rest in this position causing NO LOAD?or Pressure on the hood what so ever! So can you explain to me how the springs put pressure on the hood when its in the closed positions? My thought is that since the hood is fastened at the front by the hood latch and fastened at the rear with the hood hinges, the upward pressure of the air cleaner seal is the only thing pushing up on the hood and with the heat maybe the real issue? plus possibly that pressure of closing the hood too, when the springs are being stretched!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:08:19 PM by Hotrod Hillbilly »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »
Not much tension on the air cleaner to hood seal since its soft foam .  Hood hinge springs are strong just try to change them when hood is up. The long hood has leverage when u close the hood making it easy to stretch the hood spring while closing.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 11:31:18 AM »
Gary u need to bring your good looking 70 Shelby to in. saac this year for the 50th 1970 Shelby meet since last year u showed up without your car. We are going to have SPECIAL 50th gifts for all 70 shelbys designed by none other than SPECIALed.  There is a letter documenting aosmith workers actually were bending upward the fender aprons to help the hood alignments but had  to stop because of cracking spotwelds or damaging apron tops so they were aware of the problem when new. I think they tried to fix the problem by building up the thickness of the 1'' wide black sealant under fenders as some original cars I seen were very thick especially in the middle area where the hood bow is the worst. I don't know why the  69 Shelby engineers didn't simply use a weaker hood spring since the fiberglass hood was lighter than the regular steel mustang hood.
Seraphim bought a trailer not long ago. A nice open AL one that he got off of a friend who had it less than a year(2019). Well I got a truck and he has a trailer...... I told him we need to bring my vert or his Boss9 to In SAAC. I think he wants to bring the boss to YOU to complete it to t-bred but that is another story. Has anyone contacted Larry's widow about pictures he has of KK back in the day? Ed, do you see how nice my hood fits? The hood has NO WORK done to it. BTW my friend's 70 GT500 vert has a LOT OF sealer under the fenders and has the worst hood fitment/bow I have ever seen. I found him another hood a decade ago but we never "fit" it to the car yet. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
Just for conversations sake imagine, removing your hood from your car, now you will have two hood hinges in the up position with the spring in normal resting position. Now push the hood hinge down (the position it would be in if you had a closed hood) the spring would be stretched, but would stay down on it own, since its designed to rest in this position causing NO LOAD?or Pressure on the hood what so ever! So can you explain to me how the springs put pressure on the hood when its in the closed positions? My thought is that since the hood is fastened at the front by the hood latch and fastened at the rear with the hood hinges, the upward pressure of the air cleaner seal is the only thing pushing up on the hood and with the heat maybe the real issue? plus possibly that pressure of closing the hood too, when the springs are being stretched!
Removing the factory springs on my 70 and my 68 I used to have the hood sat differently and FLATTER on both. So I KNOW that in the down position the springs are putting pressure on the hood-even the lighter tension springs sold by Cobranda. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 10:57:16 PM »
What’s a good source for the low tension hood spring for a 69?

Also anyone got pictures of how they use a hood prop?

Thanks
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:21:29 PM »

Thanks
Get them from Branda Performance .They sell a reproduction of the ones used on 67 Shelby all fiberglass hoods. That is the one you ask for.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:41:53 AM »
Thanks Bob
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »

Thanks
I can take a picture of mine Stu. I used it on both my 68 and 70 Shelbys when I owned both. I'd use it while installing the Branda low tension springs which I could install by hand. I made mine out of an old jack handle that had a cover on one end and I slotted the other end for the latch bar. One day I was driving my vert and kept hearing a clunking noise. It was my springs hanging on my hood hinges. I had disconnected them but not taken them off. There is also a Maverick prop rod some use. I bought mine 30 years ago but back then couldn't figure out how to mount it as it seemed something was in the way. I still have the prop rod "somewhere". Gary
you can see the white prop rod in this pics. I never used the Branda springs on my 68 because the hood fit perfectly without springs.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shelbymann1970/49379663777/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shelbymann1970/49379010408/in/dateposted-public/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:58:48 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 10:48:03 PM »
No springs here either (original hood & fenders)
I use a short piece of chain between the spring mounting points on the hinges, holds the hood open great!
I'm sure there is a cleaner/nicer way to do it but NO SPRINGS!!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
No springs here either (original hood & fenders)
I use a short piece of chain between the spring mounting points on the hinges, holds the hood open great!
I'm sure there is a cleaner/nicer way to do it but NO SPRINGS!!
+1 . Better then prop rod IMO.