Author Topic: Mecum Kissimmee Sale Prices  (Read 5263 times)

gpm6367

• View Profile
Mecum Kissimmee Sale Prices
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
Following the 68 prices, several sold mostly around 130k, even a couple of KRs.

Would appear prices are flat?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Mecum Kissimmee Sale Prices
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:59:53 AM »
Without knowing the specifics of each car, I wouldn't make that conclusion. $117k for a 1968 GT350 fastback is solid, $300k for a 1968 GT500 convertible is above average.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:41:31 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:55:37 AM »
I think that on average, the prices are creeping up. There are a lot of cars coming to market and you can't know the condition they are in unless you examine them in person. Condition and authenticity are major players there.

There are rebodies out there and among other things, that effects the overall perspective of the market.

I think that the market is expanding but as it does there are also other choices to buyers who really can swing only one classic car.

Somewhere some numbers cruncher has projected totals of what they think the available pool of money is available to buy a "classic". You need to graph that against projected vehicles available. It probably is an impressive number and I'm sure the "Auction" market uses that as justification or motivation to keep holding these auctions.

Internet places like "Barn Finds" point to that data and indicate the level of quality of such vehicles available.

As cars rise in value, the higher the desireability is, the better the investments they become and therefore more in demand.

It's easy to say that a '68 GT350 is a $100,000 to $125,000 vehicle right now. It's another thing to get the cash for such a good deal by the buyer level that's interested in them.

A 427 Cobra has an entirely different buyer for a largely different reason. It's now a million dollar car and that money is coming from a different source. Kopec characterized those owners as "Captains of Industry".

All '60s Shelbys are rising in value. That effects the turn out at the SAAC Conventions since so many have become too valuable to drive in the minds of owners.

I think "Shelbys" are holding their value remarkably well. What is flat are GM muscle car products across the board in my view.

GTOs, 442s, GS Buicks can be purchased for less then the price of a used pickup truck. That I'd describe as not only flat, but very disappointing.

It's going to cost way more to do an authentic quality restoration on them then they are worth at the moment.

Even '60s Corvettes have not kept pace with their Shelby counterparts.

No, Shelby's are doing ok for sure.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:58:01 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
Multiple auctions now held quarterly have doluted prices from the all time high values

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »
All eyes are looking to get in their planes, trains, and automobiles to head to the big GO WEST where world record prices seem to happen every year at the big 5 auctions in SCOTTSDALE AZ. B J auctions leading the way, there is a buzz in the air, hope to see a few there. ;D

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:11:18 AM »
+ 1

I think that on average, the prices are creeping up. There are a lot of cars coming to market and you can't know the condition they are in unless you examine them in person. Condition and authenticity are major players there.

There are rebodies out there and among other things, that effects the overall perspective of the market.

I think that the market is expanding but as it does there are also other choices to buyers who really can swing only one classic car.

Somewhere some numbers cruncher has projected totals of what they think the available pool of money is available to buy a "classic". You need to graph that against projected vehicles available. It probably is an impressive number and I'm sure the "Auction" market uses that as justification or motivation to keep holding these auctions.

Internet places like "Barn Finds" point to that data and indicate the level of quality of such vehicles available.

As cars rise in value, the higher the desireability is, the better the investments they become and therefore more in demand.

It's easy to say that a '68 GT350 is a $100,000 to $125,000 vehicle right now. It's another thing to get the cash for such a good deal by the buyer level that's interested in them.

A 427 Cobra has an entirely different buyer for a largely different reason. It's now a million dollar car and that money is coming from a different source. Kopec characterized those owners as "Captains of Industry".

All '60s Shelbys are rising in value. That effects the turn out at the SAAC Conventions since so many have become too valuable to drive in the minds of owners.

I think "Shelbys" are holding their value remarkably well. What is flat are GM muscle car products across the board in my view.

GTOs, 442s, GS Buicks can be purchased for less then the price of a used pickup truck. That I'd describe as not only flat, but very disappointing.

It's going to cost way more to do an authentic quality restoration on them then they are worth at the moment.

Even '60s Corvettes have not kept pace with their Shelby counterparts.

No, Shelby's are doing ok for sure.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »
With the vast differences in condition and restoration level, it's still just comparing apples to oranges.  Anything selling for low $$ will almost always have issues that reflect the true value.  The cars seen on TV hardly ever look like they do in person.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
All eyes are looking to get in their planes, trains, and automobiles to head to the big GO WEST where world record prices seem to happen every year at the big 5 auctions in SCOTTSDALE AZ. B J auctions leading the way, there is a buzz in the air, hope to see a few there. ;D

Its 8 auctions out in AZ not 5

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
The big 5 is where the action is..... The others don't count for much, too many trying to get in on the auction action. ;)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »
With the vast differences in condition and restoration level, it's still just comparing apples to oranges.  Anything selling for low $$ will almost always have issues that reflect the true value.  The cars seen on TV hardly ever look like they do in person.

+1 

Even some cars sold for big bucks have some issues at times. Buyer just needs to evaluate what those issues mean to them and their potential purchase

There is a home for every car if a potential buyer and seller can reach an agreement. Being a well informed buyer, seeing the car just on auction day, can be difficult to impossible.

Be informed - get some help if need be and make an informed choice.   Don't be "that guy" :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
Agreed. For example, the 66 Hertz that sold all in for $242K had a repop firewall pad, no sound deadner inside the quarters nor on the correct areas of the firewall, no seam sealer in the correct trunk floor areas, and no dates on the trunk drip rails. The owner said it was all original sheet metal.

Regardless, it did present well otherwise.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 09:39:53 PM »
I heard a white 4 option GT (05/06) with less than 10 miles brought 374k all in. Big dough.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
There is a home for every car if a potential buyer and seller can reach an agreement.

Agreed, not every potential owner wants a concours show car.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 11:33:03 PM »
There is a home for every car if a potential buyer and seller can reach an agreement.

Maybe so but those potential buyers all seem to ask the question at sometime or the other on what part is original and what part is not to some degree or another . ;) 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 12:41:24 AM »

Maybe so but those potential buyers all seem to ask the question at sometime or the other on what part is original and what part is not to some degree or another . ;)

Guilty as charged.